It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 1st, 2021, 10:39 pm 

Looks like NB will open up to us Yankees in July. Anyone have any suggestions for a 7ish-day trip in NB for a Mainer who was hoping for a Quebec trip, but who 'can't get there from here.'? We have a window blocked from July 10th-18th or thereabouts. Alternatives in ME are Webster Stream + E. Br. Penobscot, or Dead R from the border to the Kennebec. I have little knowledge of NB rivers.
Thanks,
Christian

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2021, 7:49 am 

I'd be interested too. I only have paddled about ten miles of the Tobique. Most of NB rivers seems shallow and in July with the drought if it continues may be too shallow. The St John in NB is of no interest to me personally as its agricultural from what I have seen

We might go to Kouchibouguac NP ( have been there before canoeing) but its not a wilderness area.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2021, 7:28 pm 

Even with good water levels hard to stretch a trip in NB out that long. Northern rivers ( Kedgwick, Patapedia, Upsalquitch, Nepisiguit) longest trips would be 4/5 days starting way upstream. With this years low water levels by mid summer would be a struggle. In the Miramichi system longest trip would be 5 days and that requires high spring water to start at or close to headwaters.

St Croix is always an option because it is dam controlled. Hardly wilderness but a nice paddle. Could put in as high as the border crossing at Orient/Fosterville and take out at Grand Falls flowage. Easily stretch into 6/7 days. Only three portages, the two dams and Mud Falls. One CLII/III at Little falls, lots of runs and small ledges. We have done it as low as 225cf/s and as high as 2000 on the gauge at Vanceboro.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=01018500

Get the rules straight on camping on either US or Canadian side. We put in on Canadian side and camp on Canadian side all the way down.

Littleredcanoe, Mount Carleton PP is always an option. Great hiking.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2021, 6:56 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:

We might go to Kouchibouguac NP ( have been there before canoeing) but its not a wilderness area.

We had planned to revisit that park in September last year but covid had other plans. After passing through there in September 2019 during a trip to Saint John's for a wedding it looked perfect for cycling and flat water paddling. Our stay in 2019 was a one day affair due to a health issue and returning to get the full monty was a no brainer. Tides are minimal and the weather is generally going to be pleasant. Now in 2021 we have made other plans to stay in Ontario during September as I have had enough disappointment with this pandemic. Next year eh.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2021, 12:39 am 

Thanks, Scoops.

Just out of curiosity, if one were to cross the border in NB, would there be any likelihood that one would be subsequently stopped from crossing into QC?

PostPosted: June 4th, 2021, 5:39 pm 

VA paddler wrote:
Thanks, Scoops.

Just out of curiosity, if one were to cross the border in NB, would there be any likelihood that one would be subsequently stopped from crossing into QC?

As of right now( from what I understand) there is no travel between NB and Quebec without a 14 day quarantine. That being said numbers here are falling and there are plans in place( covid dependant) to be more or less open by mid summer. Not sure about travelers from the US. Atlantic Provinces are hoping to open up between all four by July. We hope to get a Labrador trip done in August. We had to cancel last years.

Quebec's numbers are also down a lot so there is hope. Am thinking/hoping that with high vaccination rates all will be good by then.