It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Palfrey Stream
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 6:39 pm 

Has anybody here ever paddled the Palfrey Stream from Skiff Lake (or Grassy Lake) down to Palfrey Lake?

I am considering running this stream in early June and would appreciate any advice.

I have explored the stream a bit with the ATV and maps and it appears to have long stretches of deadwater created by old logging dams and beaver dams. My Grandfather told me that it used to be run back in the day. It looks doable.

Take it easy,
Tom

Last edited by tgneal on January 14th, 2008, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2008, 12:09 pm 

Tom, I havn;t done this but I have to wondering about it. it appears doable from the topo maps. Let me know if you get a chance to actually do it. I'd be interested in knowing m,yself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2008, 5:42 pm 

Palmer wrote:
Tom, I havn;t done this but I have to wondering about it. it appears doable from the topo maps. Let me know if you get a chance to actually do it. I'd be interested in knowing m,yself.

Thanks, Palmer

A friend of a friend lives at Skiff Lake who is supposed to be doing the Miramichi with us this Spring. Apparently he has done it so I'll pick his brains then.
If I do it I'll post a trip report and pictures.
Take it easy,
Tom

Post subject: Re: Palfrey Stream
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 9:49 am 

Hi Tom -- Just wondering if you got a chance to do this stream --- Sounds like a fun one. I am planning on trying this later this month or first of August -- As the crow flies it is 7 miles but know that the stream does not run too straight.

I was also wondering if the passage way from the stream into Grassy Lake is doable -- I never see any reference to Grassy Lake.

How much time is needed etc... -- It can probably be run in a day I am sure.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm 

Hey D,

I never did get a chance to run this stream. I was going to by I got sidetracked with family obligations etc.

I have heard the paddling is supposed to be great from Grassy Lake. In fact, I think it is better than the stretch from Skiff Lake. I was thinking of starting from Skiff lake because it is more accessible.

I think it would probably take a full day to paddle this stream. You might spend a lot of time lifting over beaver dams and other obstructions.

I have heard there are some rapids or maybe even a waterfall on the stream leading out of Grassy Lake. Apparently this is a favourite route of the local Boy Scout Troops.

If you do the Palfrey please take some pictures and give us your impressions of the stream.

Good Luck,
Tom

PostPosted: July 5th, 2009, 11:40 am 

Thanks Tom
This is my first year kayaking and only started avid canoeing last summer (prior to this it was maybe 1 little paddle every couple of years) But now am addicted. I am not into the fast rapid paddling - Cranberry Brook being the fastest (ha). I feel brave enough to try small rapids etc...
Palfrey doesn't sound too advanced ---I know you went from Modsley Lake to McAdam Lake ---How do you feel it would be going from McAdam to Modsley --- Would I be fighting a current most of the time.

Just went around the shores of Modley Lake this past weekend and checked out Brokeback Island (lol). Saw a huge bull moose (just starting antlers) to the right of the thoroughfare on Pleasant Brook -- Went up Pleasant Brook aways but never made it to Pleasant Pond - girlfriend whimped out when she saw we had to lift over or around a fallen tree.

To be a further pain in the a$$ - can a person get a car to Grassy Lake that you know of?

Derek

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 11:49 am 

Hey Derek,
To go from Wauklahegan Lake to Modsley Lake you would have to travel up the upper portion of Diggitty Stream. You would have to get by the Winding Stairs Rips and the dam at the bottom of Third Lake. There are short portages around these spots so you shouldn't have any problems.

I believe there are logging roads, off of Route 630, that would allow you to access Grassy Lake. I haven't been in there so I'm not sure what kind of shape they might be in. You might need a four wheel drive to make it.

Go to this website and ask the people on the forum if they know about access to Grassy Lake;

http://www.nanookofthenashwaak.com/index.htm

Good Luck,
Tom