It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 24th, 2016, 12:49 pm 

Kouchibouguac National Park

Well this wasn’t supposed to be a paddle destination for our trip, but do to life and karma and unexpected surprises we found ourselves here at what we dubbed the “alphabet park” because it took us a while to say it’s name.

This was supposed to be a one night stop over on our way from the Fiddles on the Tobique to PEI. Just over half way to Miramichi one of the brand new emergency breaks we had put in the truck the week before the trip let go while driving, broke apart and the wheel seized at the end of a turn in the road, in a place with no cell coverage and not much else.

We had just finished accessing the situation and came to the conclusion we where #$#@. Just then a large ATV pulled up and the driver said he could get a phone call out at his trailer because he had his cell hooked out to satellite. He had his young son with him and they had been fishing in the area.
We had the CAA with RV tow service and were we ever happy about that.
While they were gone I set up some flag tape as warning signs around the corner, pulled out the awning to create some shade and then we sat and waited.

It took only about 1.5 hours for the tow truck to show up and because it was Sunday and no mechanic shops were open we where driven right into our camp spot in the park! and again because of that the tow for the truck would continue the next day with out it being classified as a separate tow.

The tow truck driver stopped so we could give the ATV driver a nice bottle of wine for his rescue mission and we also tipped the tow truck driver for his efforts on a Sunday.

This is where our “buy local” plan that we have followed for the last couple of years hit a snag…. we didn’t have much but did put together a meal and we had some beer still, so all was good.
So for the first night we were awarded with a pretty good sunset.

The Park staff were extremely helpful they helped make the calls to both CAA and they also suggested the same garage as the tow driver the Day before and they said they would take us in right away.
Again CAA was there at the camp site in less than 30 mins. and we loaded the bikes into the back of the truck should we need to wait for parts and repairs, that way we could bring some supplies back to camp.

Ok I can not say enough about this, but to be treated this way was amazing!
Richards Service Station at 10495 MAIN STREET, SAINT-LOUIS DE KENT, NB E4X 1E6
(506) 876-3790
The Boss met us as the tow truck pulled in and had us on a hoist in minutes.
He pulled the tire, and all the emergency break parts fell out!
He checked the other wheels and we were on our way in 30 mins.
No emergency break but no damage to the wheel!
$40 bucks!!!!!
He asked us when we were pulling my 40 L barrel and packs out what they were for.
He actually looked pleasantly shocked we needed to stock up because we like to buy local on our trips and we had nothing much in the trailer. (I think it helped in the repair and service check price) Good karma returned!
We were back at the park just after noon but too late for the check out time, but the park did give us a refund for the extra night we booked in case of emergency. (more good Karma!)

Even though we were not really far from our site in PEI we decided we needed the mental break after the events of the day before.
This gave us some extra time to explore this park and it is huge and has a wide variety of places to paddle, both tide waters, Gulf and estuaries, and fresh water rivers.
Several words of caution, be prepared for strong currents and winds.
Know the tide schedule to make your paddling excursion easier for where you decide to paddle.

We just paddled one tiny section of the park, while we were with the truck, PJ paddled upstream from our campsite on the Kouchibouguac river going up with the tide.

Put in spot.

When we got back I paddled down to the 1km+ long foot bridge that took you to Kelly’s beach and the South Kouchibouguac Dunes.
The tide was on it’s way out and the strong winds that were forecast started to pick up.

It was about a 3 k paddle with the tide in but I had a bout a 250m walk the boat through to get to another channel of water once I rounded the point. The good news is the sand is solid and easy to walk on.
Anne and PJ did some biking trails and I met them at the bridge.

Kelly’s beach.

Dunes

We explored the beach and the dunes a bit and then headed back. Since we hadn’t planned to paddle and this was I am here so I am going to paddle it was not the best time to paddle here. With the tide much lower and still going out there were limited channels to head back and they were all flowing at a pretty good clip out to the gulf.

Channels and currents, basic Class I, or a better description is your hose in the sand box making streams for you kids.

This is where I paddled through on the way in, just a little dry now.

Instead of 3k back, my route was 5k and I could have added another k if I followed the deeper channels but the winds had made it sustained 50 + k’s, with stronger sustained gusts, and yes a head wind!
With that wind and a single blade I would have been stuck on a sandbar waiting for the tide to come back in, but even with a double blade into that wind there were times I was not making any forward progress, good news was the water was to shallow for any large waves to build, but it was one heck of a work out.
Water depth was barely deep enough to get a kayak blade in.

There are some paddle in or hike in only campsites in the park, but there is a large variety of great paddling opportunities in this park.

And the big question, would I come back and paddle here?
For sure! it is a great park.

Jeff
(ps I can now say the name of this park! )
Pic of route.

How to say the mane Kouchibouguac.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaShq0qlBLM[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaShq0qlBLM

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/nb/kouchi ... visit.aspx

Link to album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1142241160 ... directlink

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

Last edited by jedi jeffi on July 24th, 2016, 1:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2016, 12:51 pm 

"Kouchi" is what we call it.

Or Coochie Coochie if you prefer( Charo)

We did the midnight owl walk there. We didn't get far.. the lead ranger bumped into a bear and all of a sudden did an about face.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2016, 11:24 am 

If you paddled a little farther out you would have seen some seals as well.
very pretty up there

A foolish paddler and their boat will soon part.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2016, 11:57 am 

I was going to ask if you had seen any seals. Apparently there is a population of 3-600 grey seals that hang out somewhere in the park in the summer. I think it was Black Gulley or something like that but it doesn't show on the park map.

We had tentatively had Kouchibouguac penciled in for an overnight stay last week but in the end just stopped in for a lunch break. We were running out of days by that point. Long enough to walk out to the beach and get enough pictures to confirm that we were seeing Arctic Terns.

It's on the list of places to go back to, possibly for a September trip when it would be a bit less crazy on the beaches but mostly to find the seals.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2016, 2:06 pm 

IIRC in Parks Canada they call it Kouch (Kooch as in Pooch) for short.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2016, 10:16 pm 

I've heard it pronounced "koo shuh boo quack" from locals - but then, my hearing...

PostPosted: August 10th, 2016, 8:42 am 

The big sign in the Visitor centre had it pronounced as "Koo-she-boo-guac"

PostPosted: August 26th, 2016, 7:09 pm 

The seals are found more to the southern part of the park which can also be paddled to by putting in at the Cap-St. Louis wharf and heading up the Kouchibouguacis River, past the Pointe-a-Maxime backcountry campsite. There is a natural break in the barrier island and numerous sand bars there, where you will find some seals and a tern colony. Superb for paddling, swimming and bird watching

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dbcooper/28999630871/

X