It is currently October 17th, 2019, 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Keji cuts
PostPosted: September 18th, 2012, 6:46 pm 

As a longtime, shoulder season, backcountry canoe-camper I am furious that I can no longer camp in the park in spring and fall. The latest rumor is that the park entrance will be open but a gate will be closed ~ 1 km before Jakes Landing. Is anyone else upset? Anyone planning to access the Shelburne via Keji this fall?

Post subject: Re: Keji cuts
PostPosted: September 19th, 2012, 12:21 pm 

Not sure the subject (Keji cuts) will attract posters.

I'm not in that area but I too would be disappointed. Can you wheel in using a little portage cart to save the one km trek?

Have you sent in a formal complaint?

Often the shoulder season is the best time to be out in the backcountry!

PostPosted: September 21st, 2012, 6:48 am 

A buddy of mine from Nova Scotia just posted a facebook link for people to sign a petition. Apparently Keji is going to be closed al winter too. Think it said the road up to the main gate would be plower. Anyway, Dale, if you are on Facebook, search for the petition. Quite a few people have signed it already.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2012, 7:39 pm 

Thanks, the petition can be found at:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/675/839/ ... -closures/

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 12:30 pm 

This sucks, October is the best time to travel in that area. The park is a perfect access point to the Tobiatic. I have forwarded the petition link to a member of CKNS to get it out there.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2012, 3:55 pm 

I signed petition, this sucks . Best time of the year is shoulder seasons and winter . Government can at least provide access to back country for those so inclined.

Buzzyboy

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2012, 4:06 pm 

Yes indeed. We have used the park as a jumping off point to the Shelburne for our October and April trips, not any more. I know folks who ski into Masons all winter, not doable from the gates

PostPosted: October 20th, 2012, 12:30 pm 

I live a few minutes from Kejimkujik parks gates and are furious about how these cuts are being handled, however that is not the purpose of this post I will try not to rant.
The official word is that the main park road will be closed November 1st just past the Mill Falls entrance, the park will not be closed just the road, according to local politicians I have contacted we are welcome to visit and continue are usual activities except camping. Here is the Parks Canada official announcement it makes no mention of canoeing and contradicts itself as to when the main access road will be closed.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ns/kejimkujik/visit/visit3.aspx

However parks Canada seems determined to make it as hard as possible.
Right now in addition to the normal seasonal closures the roads are blocked, just past the Kiosk at the main campsite, into Jakes Landing and into Merrymakedge beach
The park is actually quite busy for the time of year, I was there twice this week and both days saw other boats on the waters, I launched by carrying the Canoe 3 minutes from the Grafton lake parking lot, (thanks parks Canada) and was rewarded with one of those rare days when the main lake is like glass with the fall colours at their peak it was spectacular.

You cannot camp in the park but there are a couple of backwoods campsites close to the park.
The easiest is at 2nd Christopher Lake about 15 minutes by car from the park

http://www.trails.gov.ns.ca/canoe/book/lake_rts_fin.pdf

Go down Hibenia Road to the Guides Campsite, opposite there is a concrete ramp partiality paid for with your tax dollars, the is lots of parking at the edge of the road, launch and paddle 15-20 minutes down the lake to the campsite, it’s not quite up to Keji standards but close, the is room for at least 3 tents crude camp furniture and even a thunder box at a discrete distance.
Like most backcountry campsites it’s on some ones land but has been used by different folks for generations.
There are more campsites further down the lake system I’ve been down as far as third Christopher lake and it’s very much like Keji except the portages are rough, you might be tempted to do this system and forget Keji.

The second options is more risky, basically you launch at Jakes landing
after a short carry from the main road thanks to Parks Canada and head on
through the park past Masons Cabin and camp at Granite falls in the
Tobeatic, I’ve competed the trip in 7 hours with moderate headwinds
although you could be in trouble if the winds really picked up. From there
either daytrip in the park or head onwards.

Leaving your car in the park at Jakes landing would be a bad idea and is not
permitted after October 9th. The closest place to leave a vehicle would be at
Grafton road either at the park gate or on the paved road. There is a gated
access road opposite Jakes landing, it’s a 2km hike to the park gate or 3km
to the paved road. This will be one of my main entries into the park once the
main access road is closed.

One other option for daytrips is the Big Dam access road of the No.8
highway between Maitland Bridge and Mersey River Chalets, the is a
convenient parks Canada sign on it. It’s been about 7 years since I’ve used it
but Parks Canada still use it for supplies, it’s about 3km to the park gate you
will need a higher road clearance vehicle, park near the gate and with a few
steps you can launch your canoe into the Still Water, a return trip to Frozen
Ocean lake should be an easy daytrip. I guess if you’re really enthusiastic
and had 2 vehicles it should be possible to make it through to Jakes Landing
before you run out of daylight.

Sorry for the long first post.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 1:03 pm 

I thought I'd post a belated update in case anyone has not heard, fall camping was extended until the end of October this year (2013) Parks Canada are considering starting the spring camping season earlier next year maybe in April but no firm decision has been made, much will depend on how successful the fall extension was financially, from what I could see the numbers where good at Jeremy's Bay, but I suspect they will have some work to do on their cost structure.
The will be no gates or barricades on the roads this year with the exception of one at Jakes Landing to protect the stored concessions canoe fleet, the Jakes landing parking lot will be open so a portage of about 100 yards will be necessary, I usually launch at Kedge beach or Merrymakedge beach where the portage is really short.
The usual seasonal closures on the gravel roads will be in affect although they are still open which if I remember correctly is later than usual.
The will be no snow ploughing on the main parkway road this winter, so winter access will be dependent on mother nature, if our winter is anything last year this means the roads won't be accessible for 2-6 weeks depending on your vehicle.
The warming huts will be open but not maintain so bring your own firewood.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 1:50 pm 

Good news, was the road open to Eel Weir?
Will Masons be open for the winter?

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 7:47 pm 

The road to the Eel Weir was open on Monday 4th November, I can't say how much longer it will stay open it usually closes about now.
I was told by the park superintendent that Masons Cabin, the new Wil-bo-Will cabin (near the old parking lot at Peskowesk lake) and a yurt at the Eel Weir will be open all winter for day use only, I'm not sure what the firewood situation will be as it won't be provided to the other warming huts in the park but it's not really practical to haul your own in that distance.
The superintendent is hopeful that people will be respectful as they have been in the past and that the lack of visits by park maintenance staff (the warden will still be around on occasion) will not be an issue, but I can see there being an issue if people start hauling dead wood out of the forest around the cabins for fires, remember we aren't supposed to use so much as a twig for our fires. If people must break the rules I hope they are discrete about it and haul the dead wood in from a distance not right around the cabin and burn it all up, make it easy to pretend it's not happening.

More info as available here http://www.kejimkujik.freehostia.com/index.htm

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 8:05 pm 

Thanks. I guess that there was not enough people overnighting in the winter. I would think that Masons would be booked every weekend. Wouldn't cost anything.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 8:30 pm 

Actually the Yurts had close to 100% occupancy in their first and last season of use, Masons cabin was not as popular probably due to being further out, I hope Parks Canada improves their cost structure, it's pretty hard to understand how they couldn't make money.