It is currently August 22nd, 2019, 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 10th, 2019, 8:12 pm 

Hey all, I'm looking for info and logistics on the Hess River. I want to paddle the upper river and continue to the Stewart, paddling all the way back to Mayo. I'd be interested to know how many days I should allow for the route, and where a good starting point is. Also, if there's a float plane charter company out of Mayo that you could recommend, that would be great too. I've also read that there are consistent class 3+ and some class 4 rapids on the upper stretches of the river. I'm looking at going late July / early Aug this summer. If anyone could share what the character of the river is, that would be great. For example, is it more like class 2 / 3, or is it truly consistent 3+? And is it big water or more tech.

Thanks in advance for any help!

PostPosted: May 11th, 2019, 7:14 am 

Google air charter Mayo and you get several.. We used Black Sheep back in 1996 for flying out of Mayo but I am not sure they still do.. They are based in Watson Lake.. a fur piece away.

Since the Hess is commercially run you probably have run across this https://adventures.com/Adventure/Tour/3 ... -the-Yukon

PostPosted: May 11th, 2019, 2:27 pm 

Thanks and ya, the charter company out of Mayo is Alcan - thanks for that. I did see that trip report and boasting 8km of 3+ which I will go prepared for. Seems more than a commercial operator would tackle but they're going with inflatables.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2019, 7:17 pm 

Sorry I could not be more help.. Two years ago we blasted by Mayo enroute to Keno Hill.. And though we had a canoe we also had an RV and camped up there..

PostPosted: May 11th, 2019, 8:00 pm 

No problem, it's fairly straight forward though, the best - as in the least expensive way takes some figuring.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2019, 5:02 pm 

Hello Whiskey Jack.

If you go to alkanair.com/paddle there is a quote request form that allows you to select the Hess River and get instant pricing for the different aircraft, with information on payload as well.

Regards,

Adam

PostPosted: June 4th, 2019, 5:26 pm 

I've paddled the Hess. What would you like to know? Cheers.