It is currently November 12th, 2019, 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 14th, 2003, 11:17 am 

What is difficulty of Wind River versus Upper Stikine River.?Which river is more isolated and has more beautiful scenary?
Is it suitable fo group which is combined of advanced paddlers and beginers? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2003, 1:05 pm 

Hi,

Although I haven't paddled the Upper Stikine, I did the Wind this summer. It is not particularly difficult - the braiding and sweepers in the first day are more of a hazard than the actual whitewater. Easy class 2. We had a mix of experienced whitewater paddlers and flat water paddlers on the Wind with no problems. I believe that the Upper Stikine is rated up to class 3 in spots.
The Wind is beautiful with the distinctive mountains of the area. The flight into the Wind is about $1800 and you need to get back from Ft. MacPherson at the end of the trip. I'm not sure of the cost of the flight into the Upper Stikine, but you finish at the Highway 37 bridge so the logistics are easier.
Again I don't know from personal experience, but I suspect that the Wind would be less travelled. I've heard that the Stikine has parks signs etc. along ther river so the remote feeling might be a little less.
If I can be of any further help re: the Wind River, let me know.
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2003, 3:06 pm 

Dave can I talkto you over the phone?
My email is kmastalerz@hotmail.com
If you can send me your telephone number.
Krzysztof

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2003, 10:26 pm 

Hi,

Did the Upper Stikine last year when the water levels were really high. The scenery was great, saw lots of wildlife and the rapids were great. Because of the high water levels, there were lots of large standing waves and a spray deck was required. The people on our trip were intermediate and beginner white water paddlers. Dpending on the skills, there are anywhere from 1-3 required portages, some of which aren't as easy as Jennifer Voss' book "Stikine River: A Guide to Paddling the Great River" indicates.

Logistics were pretty easy and the flights in were relatively cheap (I think it was $2k for 5 people and 3 canoes which equated to 2 flights.) We did 10 days on the river and we did not see anyone except for the first day and the last couple of days. I think the river was travelled more frequently in the past, but there's been very few people in the last few years according to the outfitters.

If you want more detail, let me know.
Cheers
Al

PostPosted: November 11th, 2003, 12:37 pm 

[quote="ddb"]
Hi David,
I'm french and I plan to go to the Wind river next summer. I'm looking for info about the cost for a flight to Mac Clusky Lake from Mayo, for 4 persons and 2 canoe. (no return as we plan to join Fort Mac Pherson)

You mentionned about 1800 dollars, is it in such conditions?

Thanks,
Loic

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2003, 1:53 pm 

Loic,

We paid over $1700 last summer to fly into McClusky Lake. I expect that the price will go up a bit next year, so I am guessing $1800. That price would apply for a maximum of 6 people with 3 canoes. (if one canoe will nest inside the other)
There is only one plane - a single otter - flying out of Mayo, so this is the only option regardless of how many people/canoes you have.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2003, 1:55 pm 

Loic,

One more thing. Call Black Sheep Aviation at (867) 668-7761 to book your flight when you are ready.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2007, 11:03 am 

I can't seem to find the Wind River trip report referenced here. Can someone direct me there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2007, 11:16 am 

It's at http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDetai ... outeid=523
if I've typed correctly.
Please provide details, by PM if you like, of why you couldn't find it.
For example did you use Search rather than Browse?
Did you have a routeid number from another source?
And so on.
We concerned when people have difficulty accessing our database and want to resolve these difficulties as soon as possible.
Yours in paddling, Allan

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2007, 11:53 am 

rpg51

From the route description you can see that the Peel down lower can be boring,wide, windy and have poor camping.
A lot of trips take out at Taco Bar on RL approx 3km below the confluence of the Snake and Peel.
Depending on when you go Taco Bar can get crowded as trips from the Wind Bonnet Plume and Snake converge there.
If you go, build in hiking days.
The locals use both the Snake and Wind as hwys to access hikes along the way rather than just trip on them.

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2007, 12:43 pm 

We did the Wind this mid-July.
Check with BlackSheep as they are the only ones flying into McCluskey. They're also great to deal with.
Met one group per day on the river. Camp where you want/find room.
Take out at Taco Bar is perfect as downstream of there is boring. Spend any extra time hiking as there is lots and lots of good hiking on the Wind. Maybe one day paddling, one day hiking sort of thing.
We had a lot of rain so there was a lot of overflow with the river running at about 12kph. Getting lost in the braids was more of an issue than any ww.

http://parkerclan.ca/windriver.php
cheers Ted