It is currently July 18th, 2019, 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 2:00 pm 

Does any one have contacts in Skagway, who would be willing to let me mail my gear to them (6 large duffle bags), next Spring (2013) for a Yukon River trip?

Why Skagway? Postage to Alaska is about half the price, than mailing to Canada for Americans.
We have not yet done the upper lakes, nor have I done Lake Labarge, so I am planing on taking the train(hikers train) from Skagway to Bennet Lake, then paddle the upper lakes to to Whitehorse, then continue on to most likely the Dalton Highway Bridge.

I have already done the other major routes in to the upper Yukon, ie South McMillian, Teslin, Big Salmon. A few years ago we paddled the Teslin(Johnson's Crossing) to Emmonak.

Thanks for the help

PostPosted: August 27th, 2013, 4:54 pm 

We just got back from Alaska. The Yukon River section Bennett Lake to Dalton Highway was great. It only rained two or 3 days during the 7 week trip which was nice lots of nice sand bars to camp on, but caused major problems on Birch Creek (AK) for us.

Birch Creek was horrible due to very low water in Alaska this year. We had to drag, push and pull our boat for eight days (110 miles) to the first and only road crossing.( we had planned to paddle another 300 miles on Birch Creek back to the Yukon River). Then we found a ride back to Circle and back on the Yukon River. None of the rapids on Birch Creek had enough water to float a canoe, and every twist and bend of the river has very shallow rapids in low water. The rocks are shale which is very sharp, so we had to patch our Pak-boat every night, easy to do, but a real pain.

Hopefully next years trip: Twin lakes (Lake Clark National Park AK) Chilikadrotna , Mulchatna, and Nushagak Rivers, taking out at Dillingham will be better.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2013, 5:56 pm 

Contacts in Skagway? The Sgt Preston people?

Contacts in Circle.. is there bus service there? Looking for hints on how to get back to Fairbanks.

Looking forward to seeing you Joel and B of course and hearing of your journey!

PostPosted: August 27th, 2013, 11:19 pm 

Joel,
It was nice to meet you and B in the campground at Whitehorse. Glad to hear that the majority of your trip went well. Too bad about the low water on Birch Creek.
The "boys" completed the race which was their first goal and they weren't last which was their second goal. Actually, they did very well. An amazing experience.
I, too, look forward to hearing about your trip(s) at sometime in the future.
Ralph

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 6:00 pm 

Little Red-
The owners of Sgt. Preston Motel in Skagway could not have been nicer. We mailed our stuff to them(our canoe(Pak-boat), Paddles and four other large duffle bags) which they picked up at the post office and kept it in their office until we arrived (about 3 or 4 weeks). They also picked us up at the ferry, and took us and our stuff the train station. In addition the rooms are really nice and very reasonably priced.
I can't say enough about them, they are a class act!!!

There is no bus on the Steese Highway (Circle to Fairbanks), I can put you in touch with the people who shuttled us, they would most likely be willing to take you or put you in touch with someone who would. There is plane service several times a week, reasonably priced for people, but the gear would be expensive.

Also there is the possibility of hitch hiking. Anton from Tahiti, got a ride in about an hour when he paddled into Circle. He was very lucky though as not many people go to Circle on purpose. (We met two groups who took a wrong turn and ended up in Circle. They were headed to the Artic Circle on the Dalton Highway and took a right in stead of a left out side of Fairbanks.) Anton lost his boat below Dawson, and for three days all he had was a lighter, no food, no gear and no shoes! I think he learned that you need to tie up your boat whenever you get out of it!!

If you paddle down to the Haul Road Bridge (Dalton Highway) You can take the Dalton Highway Express, they have service two days a week up(Sunday and Wednesday) and two days a week down the Highway(Sat and Tues). We have used them several times, when we did the Porcupine, the Koyukuk and this years trip. They are really inexpensive, and reliable.

Ralph- I am Glad to hear that "the Boy's" enjoyed(?) the race and meet their goals. It was fun meeting you guys, and dining at the Vietnamese restaurant.
Are they going to do next years race the Yukon 1000, Whitehorse to the Dalton Highway?

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 7:02 pm 

Thanks Joel for the info. Now we are rethinking about lengthening our tourist trip down the Yukon. You can PM me about the contact in Circle or wait if you are coming to Snow Walkers . We have time more than money. My husband might not like lengthening our trip past Circle.

Hope to see you at Snow Walkers in any case!

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 7:23 pm 

Joel Hollis wrote:
Are they going to do next years race the Yukon 1000, Whitehorse to the Dalton Highway?
In 2014 I expect to compete and complete my third Y1K. :D

PostPosted: November 24th, 2013, 5:29 pm 

Little Red- we missed you at Snow Walkers. It was one of the best in years.
We are going to be in Colorado Skiing, middle of December to Middle of April, so we won't be going to the Canoe Symposiums this year. We do plan on going to the MCS in June before we head to Alaska.

The people who drove us to birch Creek this summer are:

Jorma and Amanda Pope
P.O. box 12
Circle, Ak 99733.
cornmnky@hotmail.com

I don't have their phone number but they live with their Mother Sonya(Mother of Amanda) Circle is a tiny place and everyone knows them!

Jorma is interested in providing shuttle services, so if you are interested, get in touch with him. The Popes are really nice folks.
I am sure they would be willing to take you the Fairbanks, as they go there to do their shopping.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 3:56 pm 

Joel,
I'm not sure that either of them had such a good time that they want to do it again let alone paddle even further. They'll continue to paddle for recreation but I doubt that they'll race again. They seem to like to do adventure type running, cycling, mudder, trail races.
Ralph