It is currently September 16th, 2019, 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 9:20 am 

Hi everybody!

I have a question for you fellowers: Anybody out there who did a trip down the Wind, Snake, or any other rivers up there in September?
I guess it`s doable but was wondering about real temperatures at that time of the year. I was told that there could be ice in the Peel already by mid of September which would be a showstopper for the pickup...

Thinking of snow capped mountains and nice fall colours i believe it would be really nice up there... What do you guys think? Stupid idea or is it worth it?

Thanks a lot,
Thomas

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 9:33 am 

Did the Snake a few years ago. Fall colors in late August. Looking up ferry schedules for the Abraham Francis, seems it runs till late October.

Not much light in September..you will have to hurry. Seems in 2012 there was no snow in Ft McPherson till Oct.

http://weatherspark.com/history/28473/2 ... ies-Canada

You will see temps really drop in Oct. But that was just for 2012 and that may have been an unusually warm year.

The Snake starts some 3500 feet up so with a three degree drop (F) for every 1000 feet, you can see winter will arrive earlier. I think Sept would be at least uncomfortable especially if north winds bring rain up the river.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2013, 2:34 am 

Ok, thanks for your reply!
Well, temperatures don`t seem to be to bad... Still trying to decide...

Maybe it would be better to have a ride on the Gatanga / Kechika down in BC. Any other suggestions for a 2-3 weeks trip in September? We like to be surrounded by mountains and see plenty of wildlife.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2013, 12:39 am 

The Ketchika will be very busy with hunters at that time of year but the weather should be better than the peel. I was on the tuchodi last year (Raft trip) in early September and it was warm and beautiful but also busy. The stikine would be great in September. It has lots of traffic in the river below the pitman but not many jet boats get past the spatsizi.

Good luck.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2013, 4:57 pm 

Weather can be quite variable as you are quite far north and extremes are common. I have spent time in the Spatsizi when it was cold and rainy, and also when it was in the 80s F. The Peel will be colder. I personally would not want to be in the high country in late September. There will be ice. Even in southern BC, the winter can come quickly. I did the Bowron starting on October 1 in 2009. I had a t shirt on day 1. By days 6 and 7 we were breaking ice 1/2 thick on the west side.