It is currently July 20th, 2019, 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 7:55 am 

Hopefully Joel Hollis will chime in. He uses a Pakboat and has for years. He and his wife have some 35 years experience on Arctic rivers.

I believe things are changing regarding external loads on planes. I am not up to date on that.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 9:05 am 

The regulations vary between the US and Canada. Beyond that, is what is normal in the local area. It is often up to the pilot. I believe Canadian regulations require racks on the struts to carry canoes. I've never seen them out here, nor used them. Also US regs don't allow external load with passengers. Your canoes go with the gear, and you and the rest of the gear and people come on the second flight. In the Yukon, there are few carriers, Wendel Imhof at Alpine Lakes Air, Ernie at Black Sheep, and Urs out of Muncho Lake. They will all fly external load and people. But remember, the weight of canoe doubles when carried on the outside.

Allys and Paks are good boats, but are not as fast on the flats as a hard shell. They can take a fair amount of abuse. There are plus and minus's to each brand. I generally favor the Ally.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 10:16 am 

Here is a link http://www.redrivercanoe.ca/p/dean-sect ... canoe.html for the type of sectional canoe I am considering. I would make it to nest in the centre section. Here in Bush there are no roads and many canoe trips require either an expensive flight out and back or a much cheaper boat trip. I opt for the boat trip up and down the river to the put in. but towing or stowing canoes on board is always an annoying problem. Towed canoes are a real pain in moving water, wind and waves. My boys and I are making a cedar strip right now and I intend to chop it into 3 nesting parts. Still debating between bulkheads or seals to connect sections.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 12:59 pm 

AC sectionals have been used in the Yukon during the Gold Rush days. GM Dawson actually had a folding canoe, very similar to an Ally or a Pak. A sectional will not make it any easier to fly, except if you fly in a Twin Otter. It would make it easier to get on a skiff, but then the skiffs aren't going to be taking you to the headwaters of the Wind, Snake or BP. By the time you could find someone to take you even part way, you will pay and then you will still have to get upstream from where they drop you off. The big problem with sectionals, I have some experience with voyageur sectionals, is that they are much heavier and the joints are always a problem. Strong enough not to flex or break and you add lots of weight. You won't get a 20 foot sectional in a single Otter, as the doors aren't big enough. Even if you could get it in, there will be no room for people or gear. Sectionals worked for the Klondike mushers who had to get big boats over the divide. Today we have better means. I also wouldn't take a wood strip down any of the rivers of the Peel, except for the lower Peel itself. It would be possible, but you'll end up with kindling at the end.

For what its worth, I would do what the locals do and not try to reinvent the wheel. As we discussed, there are few roads in the YT and rivers with road access at both ends are few. Hiking is possible on some mountain rivers, but those rivers do usually have some Class 3 and portages are often not practical on those rivers, unless you are a mountain goat. Tracking up stream on some rivers is possible for access or to avoid a flight out. Note the Beaver-Stewart, Blackstone-Ogilvie, the South Nahanni the hard way, and up the Rat. Some rivers with road access at both ends are the Big Salmon, Yukon, Teslin, the Flat(which isn't) the Dease, the Spatsizi, the Omenica, the Finlay(likely above your skill level) the Nusitlin, parts of the Liard. As an alternative to the flying, some folks are reverting back to the old fashioned way. Into the Thelon through Pike's Portage, the Yukon Beaver Stewart through McQuesten Lake, Nahanni the hard way, etc.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2014, 6:56 am 

Lifting an old topic up. This forum seems very helpful in planning my canoe trip to Yukon next summer. I would be interested in something similar as AC...

I' m coming to Canada with my wife on our honeymoon this summer and we would like to do a wilderness canoe trip during our stay in Yukon. The ideal lenght for the trip would be around 10-12 days on an easy/intermediate white water river with rapids around class 2. We are hoping to paddle in nice mountain scenery without marks of human population and to see wildlife on the way. I searched on the net, and thought that something like the Wind river would be what we are looking for.

The Wind river is out of our budget range. Too bad. Can you suggest me some "wilderness like river" with no or only oneway fly-in/fly-out. Thank you.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2014, 8:09 am 

Economies that need to be made mean that fly in is out. When fly in is out you pretty much need to confine yourself to rivers that are still working rivers.

You may see people. They live off the river. They live as most of the people in North America do not.

You can canoe 500 miles on the Yukon.. hike on historic trails that will get you lost and see wildlife. All within your time frame and on a budget.

There will be no crowds. The area is vast. I guess we saw maybe thirty people over two weeks. And way more than that of mountain sheep, moose and bear.

We saw people as an opportunity to learn about the area rather than visiting with less understanding.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2014, 9:43 pm 

I would vote for the Pelly from Faro to either Dawson, or take out at Pelly Crossing. You will find it less crowded, a relative term, then either the Yukon River or something like the Big Salmon. Nice campsites the only rapids approach Class 3, but are easy Class 3. Lots of wildlife. As you approach Pelly Crossing, you will see a few people. There are mountain ranges and a couple of hikes. Shuttle is easy.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2014, 8:41 am 

Yukon Route information:
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewforum.php?f=164

Alaska Route information:
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 29&t=32395

Of all these, I have paddled only the Bonnet Plume.

AC: I question whether your partner is up to most of these rivers. The Big Salmon and the Yukon are possibles (haven't paddled either) but the Wind, Snake and Bonnet Plume are out of the question IMHO.

Aside:
I had a PakCanoe for 5 years; had to sell when I had to give up tripping.
My only regret is that I didn't buy it 10 years earlier.
I found, to my surprise, that it performs well in flat water (tracks well, is not slow) and also in whitewater (bends going over ledges and through rooster tails, even twists through crooked ledges, slides over rocks, but has no rocker and so cannot turn quickly).
My first encounter with one was on the Horton; I thought that our companions were nuts to bring one but soon realised that I was wrong,

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)