It is currently July 21st, 2019, 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 27th, 2014, 11:56 am 

Hello!

I plan to visit Canada 2015 with my wife and our baby, which will be 1 year next summer.

Are there any parts of the yukon or side rivers where we can do canoeing with a small child or is it too rough?

We come from Austria, are used to nature but not in canoeing. I do some rafting.

It would be nice if somebody can give me some information about the yukon area:

- where should we go (whitehorse?)
- what area is not too dangerous for canoeing with a child.
- does anybody know a small cabin to rent in the wood

Thank you very much, Tom

PostPosted: September 27th, 2014, 12:57 pm 

If you have never been in a canoe.. doing a self guided trip on Teslin or the Yukon is not a good idea with a very small child. Lately the rivers have had spectacular spring floods.

Done both and the Teslin is a little slower than the Yukon.. The latter runs at 10 kph and eddy turns are useful if you want to hit a campsite. The Yukon campsites can be up steep banks. Teslin are more apt to be lower on beaches though there are beaches sometimes on the Yukon as well.

With a kid that small should they go overboard, rescue will call for some good maneuvering in that fast a current.

I suggest getting in touch with Kanoe People or Up North

The Nisultin River might be a better fit

http://upnorthadventures.com/yukon-summ ... r-options/

A guided trip on the Yukon is a possibility from the north end of Lake Laberge

http://www.kanoepeople.com/guided-river ... er-7-days/

PostPosted: September 27th, 2014, 1:04 pm 

thank you for your reply!

PostPosted: September 27th, 2014, 8:10 pm 

I agree with the concept of seeking local advice and certainly taking the opportunity of getting out there with your one year old. It would be a wonderful experience, but you need to know what you are getting into, and how to get help if necessary. Past experience in another area is no substitute for local expertise. You also need to be aware of accurate current conditions and only local experts can provide this. I feel good in saying that any established outfitter in any of the regions you consider can fulfill this role very well, and would be more than happy to advise and assist. The Yukon has so much to offer. You go there once, you are destined to return.

Rick

[i]Rick[/i] discoverpaddling.ca

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 4:18 am 

We all assume that when you talk about paddling a river it means a multi-day trip - you will be camping overnight along the river.

Many experienced trippers bring their babies on wilderness trips. You can find many discussions on that topic here. But you have neither experience with canoes nor the Canadian north. As Rick said, a guided trip is your only realistic option if you really want to paddle down a river. Google for outfitters or guides.

Google around a bit and you will find waterfront cabins and cottages for rent in remote locations where you can explore doing "day-trips", canoeing and/or hiking. On a smaller lake would be best. A big lake will be too windy/wavy to paddle much of the time. On a river there might be few paddling opportunities as per LRC's comment.

If you've got time you might want to move to another location to experience its different geography, mosquito species etc. <smile>. It's all amazing. And it's huge by any standard - it's easy to under-estimate scale and distances.

I have to add - if you are out there by yourself be overly cautious about changes in the weather and the potential consequences of even a minor accident.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 8:13 am 

Whitehorse is most popular as a place to fly to for Europeans as there is non stop service from Frankfurt( which is a nice thing with a one year old). Does anyone have other places that have such air service to recommend?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 9:56 pm 

Hi TOm,
just read your entry here at the forum. I take my children on extended canoe trips since they are born. (Actually, I think the youngest was 3 months old on the first big trip). They are 4 and 7 now. We spend approx 3 to 4 months every year with them in canoes, mainly touring the rivers of the Yukon and NWT. So- it is a very rewarding experience to travel with kids as long as your skill level matches your ambition. We live in the Yukon because here we can spend that much time canoeing. I am always getting a bit scared when I read about the option of hiring a guide and assume this will compensate for lack of experience. I canoe the rivers of Canada's North now for more then 25 years and I have seen and know a lot of guides up here. And I have seen all skill levels. Especially with traveling with small children I think you should pick a river that matches your skill level and not assume a guide can compensate for that. If you got some better ideas what you want to do here and need some tips, just shoot me a message and I can try to help you. I live here in Whitehorse in the Yukon. Hope that helps.CHeers Gunnar

PostPosted: March 10th, 2015, 1:07 pm 

Tom, I've paddled a number of the rivers of the Yukon, and started when my son was seven. A one year old would not be a problem, if you had canoeing and wilderness experience. Although the Yukon does have cabins to rent on some lakes, as Krusty mentions, most of the Yukon is quite unpopulated. As Gunnar mentions, the are guides available, but that wouldn't compensate for never being in a canoe. Never the less, on the Teslin in 2003, I watched as a guide started her Japanese clients down the river, and some were having their first paddling experience ever. Check with Up North and Kanoe People in WH and they can advise you further. A word of caution. Even on relatively well traveled rivers like the Yukon or Teslin, there are some trickier sections, and help may be days away.