It is currently October 20th, 2019, 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 8:43 am 

I'm planning on doing the Wind/Peel trip next year - likely August 2016, and have started doing research. As probably most people have seen, there have been a lot of photos and a trip report in "Canoe & Kayak" magazine and also in "Canoeroots" in the past few months - that was what triggered my interest - looks like a fantastic trip.

It seems that there is one guidebook for the Peel drainage - "Wild Rivers of the Yukon's Peel Watershed: A Traveller's Guide" by Yuri Peepre & Sarah Locke. Anyone know of any other guidebooks that would help ? Anyone have this one and want to comment on whether its good or not ?

I've read the trip reports here, for Wind/Peel and Bonnet Plume/Peel - if anyone else has done this trip and has helpful info, that would be great.

Right now, I'm thinking I would do the long drive up to Ft McPherson and then take a float plane from there to Mclusky Lake and padle back to Ft McPerhson. I assume that it wouldn't be too difficlult to arrange the flight, but if anyone has suggestions on airline that would do this, that would be a help.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 9:03 am 

The Peel is a long boring river from Taco Bar to Ft McPherson.. We used a water taxi.. The headwinds can just about stop you cold.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 7:55 pm 

LRC's advice is good! Take out at Taco Bar ... the Peel from there to Ft McPherson is a slog!!!

The Wind is a wonderful river to paddle ...

My blog, linked at my signature block below has some basic trip logistical info and a photo gallery.

On the horizontal menu bar, go to KANOE TRIPPING: TRIPS 2 > Paddling > Takhini / Wind / Peel

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2015, 7:58 am 

thanks for the comments - I will most likely just do the the whole trip, but will check into shorter options as well

I'll be retired, so length of trip isn't an issue, and I do a lot of lake paddling, more often than not into the wind, so that isn't a big concern to me - certainly would be if I do have any time constraint to consider. In part, the drive to Ft McPherson is a part of the larger trip picture - I'll most likely drive on up to Inuvik after I'm done on the Peel.

possibly, I'll look at the $ issue too - difference between doing the long drive and one flight, vs. out and back from Mayo, or wherever - but I'm inclined to do the whole trip right now.

edit: - Nice Blog Kanoe - I'll have to spend some more time looking at it, jut to see where else you've been. The Nahanni is on my bucket list for someday - I might add a few more from your list.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 9:38 pm 

I've paddled both the Wind and Snake. Both spectacular rivers. Both times we flew from Mayo with Blacksheep. On the Wind we paddled to Ft McPh and I hitchhiked the shuttle. On the Snake we flew out from Taco Bar to maximize time spent in the mountains and avoid the uncertainty of the shuttle.

In the mountains you'll see sheep and caribou. We didn't see a grizzly in the mountains on either trip. Saw 7 grizzly on the Peel and a couple moose. We didn't see anyone in 4 days on the Peel. On both the Wind and Snake we leapfrogged other groups.

First two nights on the Peel were pretty good camping. Last night was a muddy pit, and we looked for better options for awhile. You will get to see the monument to The Lost Patrol on the lower Peel.

We spent 18 days on the Snake, and would've happily spent longer. If I had unlimited time I'd spent 3+ weeks on the Wind and then paddle the Peel too.

The Dempster is a beautiful drive and is worth seeing, especially the views of Tombstone, the Richardsons and Wright Pass on the NWT/YT border.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 10:48 am 

thanks, BearP

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 11:00 pm 

Hi Mat,
I am canoeing the rivers of the Peel water shed for more then 20 years now. Just for you to consider if you plan on the Wind river. Usually there are no float planes based in FtMcPherson. Easiest is usually to fly out from Mayo. In the past we often hitchhiked back down the Dempster with canoe etc, never had problems. Most of the time I canoe all the way to Ft Mc Pherson. Adds another 4 to 5 days to your trip. .But much cheaper option then Taco Bar and I just take it as part of the trip. And it leaves me more flexible with the dates.
I live in Whitehorse, if you need any specific information about the rivers here up north just send me an email.
Have a safe trip!
Cheers
Gunnar