It is currently December 8th, 2019, 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 10th, 2016, 6:10 am 

Is there anyone here who is familiar with the Wind River logistical issues? I have a group of 6. We are in planning process for this summer. Tentative plan is to find a way to rent canoes in Whitehorse or Mayo, drive from Whitehorse to Mayo and fly in and out from Mayo - terminate at taco bar because of time issues. But I am open to different ideas. Need to find canoes etc., transportation to and from Mayo, and float plane. I sent PM to Gunnar but have not yet heard back from him. Others?

Rob

PostPosted: February 10th, 2016, 5:40 pm 

My info is dated but I can't see much changing since then.
Mayo is a float plane landing spot. Not much other than that. Lots of room for setting up your tents and has outhouses. No canoes or canoe rentals unless something dramatic has changed.
Normally people rent from a Whitehorse expediter, have them drive people, gear and canoes to Mayo. They'll also contact Black Sheep for your flights to McClusky Lake and from Taco Bar back to Mayo. And, of course, getting you, your gear and their canoes back to Whitehorse.

FWIW, it is one of the best if not the best northern canoe trip I've ever taken. The scenery is stupendous and the hiking great.

The webpage of my trip has Lat/Long for McClusky, the confluence of the starting creek and the Wind, a couple of great campsites, Peel canyon which should be scouted first (no portage that I know of) but no big deal once scouted. I also have Taco Bar co-ords as you don't want to miss it - it's a long way to Fort McPherson and it can be easy to miss. The float plane sign if often on the ground.

We've used Up North Adventures http://www.upnorth.yk.ca/ for several trips and really liked their attitudes, professionalism, prices and gear.

Enjoy - I know you'll love it.
Ted

PostPosted: February 11th, 2016, 12:23 pm 

Thanks Ted.

Is 10 days on the water enough to enjoy this trip in a relaxed manner?

Also, is there a way on this board to get an e mail when someone posts to a thread?

Rob

PostPosted: February 11th, 2016, 12:49 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

rpg51 wrote:
Also, is there a way on this board to get an e mail when someone posts to a thread?

I'm not completely sure how it works, but you can click "subscribe this topic" at the top left side, under the thread title.

Barbara

PostPosted: February 11th, 2016, 1:04 pm 

I see that subscribe button. Thanks.

Rob

PostPosted: February 12th, 2016, 3:15 pm 

first thing you should do is contact Black Sheep (or an outfitter to do it for you) to see what dates are available and make a reservation - at least if you are certain you are going - I'm set up for Aug 1 start and Aug 18 pick up - they may be busy (at least the plane I needed was) - I juggled dates some - for me, plane fare will be about $4600 Can round trip (just me and pakcanoe), taking out at Ft McPherson (my thread is just a few below yours.

there is a good trip report here on CCR - look for it. it gives you the 5 maps you need

I bought the guidebook from MEC, and the 5 maps from MapTown - they both ship to USA

There are several outfitters in Whitehorse, and if you fly in, then you'd need to use one. If you drive up (2400 miles one way Denver to Whitehorse) with your own boats, you can just camp at Mayo and leave your vehicles there (which is what I'm going to do). Just Google for canoe outfitters in Whitehorse and you'll get several hits. Up North, Kanoe People, Ruby Range will all do.

10 days for Mclusky Lake to Taco Bar should be fine - at least according to the guidebook.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2016, 6:36 pm 

Thanks folks. Looks like logistics are easy. Need to get dates nailed down and reserve float plane. Is Black Sheep the only game in town? Does that Otter turbo they have give adequate weight limit for reasonable gear, food, three boats and food for 10 days? They say it does, but I'm worried.

Rob

PostPosted: February 16th, 2016, 7:18 pm 

rpg51 wrote:
Thanks folks. Looks like logistics are easy. Need to get dates nailed down and reserve float plane. Is Black Sheep the only game in town? Does that Otter turbo they have give adequate weight limit for reasonable gear, food, three boats and food for 10 days? They say it does, but I'm worried.

Max payload is a little over 2300 lbs, external loads tripled. There's a bit of wiggle room based on distance and fuel load.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2016, 7:35 pm 

Black Sheep is telling me external loads doubled. ??
I honestly don't know if that will be enough. How much does 10 days of food for 6 weigh anyway? Its been a while since I have done this. I suppose we could go 100% freeze dried and dehydrated.

Rob

PostPosted: February 17th, 2016, 4:06 am 

Yeah you're right, it's double for the external.

As for food, 2lbs/person/day as a rough guide....tell your companions to lose some weight!

PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 5:44 pm 

They will weigh everything, at least they did for the Cessna in 2014. They were happy to receive our fruit and veggies when we came in about 10lb over, but that was 18 days on the Snake and everything else was dried except the booze.

10 days is enough, but you can never have too much - there are endless options for dayhikes. We spent 15 days from McCluskey to McPherson and wished we had more time. You could easily paddle to Taco Bar in 3 long days, the challenge is to go slow enough. Spend time on the upper river, as you get close to the Peel the hiking gets less spectacular, though Peel canyon is gorgeous.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2016, 6:26 pm 

I'm having trouble finding royalex canoes to rent in Whitehorse for this trip. Any suggestions? The usual suspects are renting Discoveries. I'd love to find either Old Town Trippers or 17 foot Nova Craft Prospectors.

Rob

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2016, 4:56 pm 

"We rent a variety of canoes from industry leading manufacturers including, Nova Craft, Wenonah, Old Town, Mad River, and Esquif. The weight of an average canoe is around 80 pounds and will carry 980 to 1100 pounds. We also have larger Old Town Tripper XL’s, which are 20-foot canoes for two to three persons. These hold 1700 pounds and have an optional side-motor mount."

above is from Up North's website - I'd guess that most are royalex, but you'd have to ask them - almost all of their boats that I've seen ( 2 years ago) were royalex; as far as I can remember, I saw one Rx Wen from Kanoe People, and several of their kevlar boats. offhand, I don't recall seeing any Discos on the Yukon River.

I'd give either or both outfits a call

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2016, 6:03 pm 

Call . We rented a Wenonah Cascade from Kanoe People in 2012. The boat was pretty new then and should still be around.

I can probably run my Pakcanoe 170 over to you We wont be using it in 2016. 55 lbs and packs well into a duffle.

Possibly for sale $550

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2016, 6:09 pm 

I might be interested in your pakcanoe. Get in touch via email. What is the condition? How much use has it had?

Rob