It is currently October 20th, 2019, 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Snake River
PostPosted: January 13th, 2014, 10:12 pm 

Has anyone ever paddled the Snake River in mid August? What were the weather and water conditions?

"Paddle the Dream" with Canadian Quetico Outfitters http://queticooutfitters.com

Post subject: Re: Snake River
PostPosted: January 13th, 2014, 11:01 pm 

Sure. But it was 1996. It was hot. It snowed. It was miserable after Taco Bar on the Peel with a cold headwind from the North and temps just above freezing. It was Aug 20.
The water was high enough that we never dragged and there were plenty of high standing waves. But gravel bars offered campsites.

I don't recall it was a very rainy year. It's a fairly arid area. I have no idea where that year stood in the overall picture of temp and precipitation.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 12:47 am 

I have done a number of trips in the Yukon, particularly central Yukon, over the years. By mid-August, the weather can be turning to fall. And it can come with a bang. That said, every year is different. This past summer, in July and early August, the rivers of the Peel drainage were hot. By mid August the weather had turned and it was wet and cold throughout the Yukon. As Kim says, that area is fairly arid. But most precipitation comes in the form of rain, rather than the winter snows. Also bear in mind that river levels can change drastically over night, when rain falls in areas upriver.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 9:44 pm 

I do the Snake on a quite regular base. In August you can have all kind of weather, from sunny days to snow. The later you get in the season, the higher the risk that you have to line parts of the Snake down to Reptile Creek. Not a difficult task, but lots of in and out of the canoe and you will loose some of your bottom paint. July is my favorite when it comes to water levels.The Peel past depends on weather. Can be fun without wind and a good work out with wind. Usually takes us 4 days to FtMcPherson.Hope that helps, enjoy.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2016, 5:44 pm 

Does anyone have marked up typos for the Snake River or the Bonnet Plume? Much appreciated.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2016, 1:55 pm 

I did the Wind and Peel rivers this past August, on the water from the 1st thru the 13th. Picked up at Ft McP on the 17th.

I had 3 or 4 really nice days - it rained the rest of the 9 days and also on the 14th, 15th, and 16th. The guide book says August is the wettest month - if I were to do any of the Peel tribs again, it would be in July. The Peel "flooded" due to all the rain and almost got my tent one night (I'd camped a 100 yards from the water and 3' above it) and rose another 3' or so the next day, and still more the day after. The ferry at Ft McPherson was out of service for about 5 days because the water was way over the gravel ramps - there was maybe 50 to 70 yards of water between the ferry landing and the Dempster highway - the Dempster had numerous washouts and was closed for several days also. On the Wind, I couldn't see the mountains for much of the time because of cold, misty, low clouds - everybody I saw had heavy rain jackets on - I've never used my rain gear so continuously. Had 4 to 5 days of constant cold North wind blowing down from the Beaufort Sea. Fewer people on the rivers in August, but go in July if you can - it should be dryer.