It is currently October 17th, 2019, 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 4th, 2016, 1:04 pm 

What's your favourite time to paddle around Whitehorse? We're considering either the Yukon River or the Teslin to Carmacks for a trip next year and I'm reading mixed reviews on when to go.

Obviously it varies a lot year to year, but what's your favourite? We were considering early August but I know some outfitters recommend end of June.

We'd like to avoid mosquito swarms. We can prepare for cold temps but don't want to be dealing with snow and ice. Fall colour would be a bonus.

Anyone have some experience with varying trip times?

PostPosted: December 9th, 2016, 3:30 pm 

We paddled the Teslin River to Carmacks a few years ago in August. We started around mid-August, ending just before the long weekend. It was a fabulous trip. Very little bugs. We did get some frost though. No snow or ice. We're back next summer to paddle the Yukon from Carmacks to Dawson. Starting on the river August 10th. Would rather have less bugs than longer days.

Cheers!

PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 9:06 am 

We did Johnsons Crossing to Dawson at the end of July - first week of August.

Didn't notice bugs.. ( we have blackflies noseeums and skeeters at home so I don't really notice)

The river was quite high.. there is a shipwreck that is usually visible cause about ten feet is out of the river. We paddled over it.. only noticed one pipe.

That said there were gravel bars visible which came in handy as campsites on shore were sometimes taken.

Fall colors are hard to come by when you are in a pure boreal forest.

Low water on the Teslin can mean a big climb to some campsites. The first one down was straight up a sandbank.. A gravity filter is a godsend..repeated trips to get water a re a PITA.

We will be back at the end of July for Whitehorse to Carmacks on the Yukon River. We missed Lac Laberge.

Teslin to Carmacks is only five days..and five lolly gagging days at that.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2016, 3:14 pm 

I wouldn't go in June, for two reasons. One is that the water levels can still be high enough that gravel bars are covered. But Kim's hikes to high water camps won't be hikes. Secondly, the first bug hatch will be out. I usually opt for early to mid August or last week of July to start. I have paddled in late August and encountered cold and rain, which had followed a period of weather in the 80s(F). I paddled the Pelly in 2007 and the Yukon had crested for the second time in late July. So, shoot for late July/early August but watch the water levels.