It is currently October 18th, 2019, 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Yukon Fish
PostPosted: January 10th, 2017, 5:26 pm 

Are salmon the only game fish available in the Yukon? What lures and line do most trippers use there?

Post subject: Re: Yukon River Fish
PostPosted: January 10th, 2017, 8:58 pm 

Below the Teslin the Yukon is quite silty. Below the White you can hear the silt grate against your canoe..

I did not see anyone rec fishing..Probably the rec fishery was closed. Just the salmon wheels of the FN. Some waters are closed to you that where the shore is FN territory

Char and trout are there.

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/hunting-fishin ... s16-17.pdf

PostPosted: January 10th, 2017, 10:55 pm 

Loon_Watcher wrote:
Are salmon the only game fish available in the Yukon? What lures and line do most trippers use there?

Do you mean "in the Yukon Territory" or "in the Yukon River?"

PostPosted: January 11th, 2017, 7:25 am 

Sorry, Yukon Territory.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2017, 11:05 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

littleredcanoe wrote:

Vital information in that pdf....thanks for posting the link.

How to catch Yukon fish
http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/hunting-fishin ... n_fish.php

When I hear "Yukon", I think of grayling.

(I've never heard of a Dolly Varden.)

Barbara

PostPosted: January 11th, 2017, 6:04 pm 

I am amenable to buying a salmon that a FN does not need for their family.. but not fishing..
The river runs so fast that paying attention to a fish means I miss some history..
I realize that the OP might go to some lakes.. on his journey.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2017, 8:23 pm 

well, the thread title does say Yukon river

depends on where you start. If you start in Whitehorse, or from Lake Labarge you can fish for Lake Trout in lake Labarge. The "30 Mile River" section below Lake L has grayling for sure, and is your very best bet for fishing. Don't know about Salmon, but highly dependent on the runs - in 2014, the fish count was so low that they stopped all salmon fishing on the Yukon, even Native Subsistence fishing (that may have been for only a specific salmon, I don't remember that for sure). As soon as you get below the junction with the Teslin, the river is so silty fishing isn't worth it - I tried where several small streams flow into the big river, and caught nothing. Only few other people I know of who fished caught only one Northern Pike somewhere below Mayo, and one guy said he caught a Shefish on one of the tributaries - forget which one. Big Salmon river supposedly has better fishing, also with Lakers in the headwater lake, but that is hearsay for me. I wouldn't was my money on a fishing license if I do the Yukon again, but would for the Big Salmon - Yukon season license is relatively cheap anyways.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2017, 8:38 pm 

During the first Yukon 1000 mile race in 2009, we were paddling in the "Flats" below Circle. Coming upon a fish wheel with 2 FN guys tending it, one of the guys hopped in his small motor boat and headed directly for us. I didn't know if that meant we were in trouble for intruding in his waters or what. He then killed his engine and held up his hands about 3 feet apart and said "King" - he was offering us 2 very large king salmon. Turns out he had heard about the race and was welcoming us as the first boat through. We felt bad about turning him down, as during the race we had no way to utilize the fish.

It is true that below the Teslin River, the silt is so thick that you can't see even a millimeter below the surface, it sounds like sandpaper or AM radio static on the bottom of the canoe. Below the White River it is even worse. How do fish survive at all in that without clogging their gills?

Last edited by nessmuk on January 14th, 2017, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2017, 3:39 pm 

Loon, I see that most have responded regarding fishing in the Yukon River. I have not fished much on my trips, and when I have done so, it has mostly been for grayling. In the YT there are a number of fish you will encounter. Of course there is salmon and they can be found in any of the larger river systems. Inconnu is rare, but another party caught one on the Teslin, just above Roaring Bull Rapid. The most common fish is the grayling. Although it has a reputation as a good sport fish, I found them easy to catch. They are quite delicious. On the Yukon River itself, though silty, as the others have said, you will find salmon. If you are looking for food fish, don't pass up the burbot, what the FN call tizra. These are quite good and can be found on the major rivers in deep pools. You will find the grayling around side streams and on rapids on all the major rivers. As for lures, best to check in WH, as the locals will know better. BTW, be careful where you fish that if it is FN territory you will want to ask permission. As well, FN consider it pretty disrespectful to throw any fish back. If you catch it, you should eat it.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm 

Back at the start of this thread you asked about lures as well as fish. I find #0 or #1 MEPS are good for grayling -- they have very small mouths. I use Williams of various colours and sizes for Bull Trout. However, I think Bull Trout eat anything that falls in -- I have found mice inside them.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2017, 8:06 pm 

Thanks, I did indeed put river in the title, but that was a mistake. We are looking at a couple rivers, the Teslin and the Big Salmon are of primary interest. I'll get some more information about FN lands along those streams.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2017, 10:03 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Loon_Watcher wrote:
Thanks, I did indeed put river in the title, but that was a mistake. We are looking at a couple rivers, the Teslin and the Big Salmon are of primary interest. I'll get some more information about FN lands along those streams.

I've removed the word "River" from the thread title.

If you want to change the thread title further, you can edit your original post.

Barbara

Post subject: Re: Yukon Fish
PostPosted: January 15th, 2017, 3:58 pm 

if you buy a copy of the Alaska Milepost it has mile by mile comments on what you drive past, including fishing in the streams - they include many of the highways in the Yukon in the book, and will tell you what fish may be caught where, as well as lots of other useful info