It is currently November 15th, 2019, 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: August footwear
PostPosted: January 30th, 2017, 7:29 pm 

What would you bring in the way of footwear on an August river trip in the Yukon (notice I avoided saying "a Yukon river trip" :wink: )? I'm not sure portage boots alone are the ticket.

Post subject: Re: August footwear
PostPosted: January 30th, 2017, 7:48 pm 

Boots that do not pull off. Period
The water is cold. Sandals and water shoes a disaster
I have neoprene Chota boots. The bottom of the canoe will be cold

PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 6:45 am 

How are the Chotas for support? I have plantar problems, and need some support for any extended walking. The nylon mukluks I bought years ago were little better than going barefoot. They were stupidly thin soled and not at all suited for walking. I guess that's why they were discontinued. I'm considering the newer Chotas or NRS boots, a size larger so I can get an insole in them.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 8:22 am 

Put an insole in them.. They could be better.. If you are going to do extended walking its likely to be after you have made camp and you can bring hiking boots.. Historical sites tend to be pretty close to the river but in the bush ( overgrown)

The most walking we did was at Big Salmon. We did not stay there. The area is maintained with a lawnmower but is rolly and lumpy.. The spirit houses were about a fifteen minute walk back. the take out is pretty muddy.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 1:57 pm 

Taking your advice littleredcanoe. I'll take both hiking boots and camp shoes in addition to the new Chotas. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 2:16 pm 

I wear a rather heavy duty pair of Merrill water shoes during the Yukon River races. My feet only get wet during the race start but tend to dry out part way down Lake Laberge. My feet never get excessively cold. I also bring with me a pair of Chota Trekkers, with the look and function of hiking boots (if necessary) along with neoprene socks that fit inside them, especially when I paddle the 1000 mile. Some people wear the calf-high black neoprene chotas, which are far too hot and uncomfortable IMO (we once crossed the Arctic Circle in near 90F degree temperatures). The bottom of the canoe does tend to get rather cool, but a custom spray cover will keep it noticeably warmer down there.
If I were planning to set up an extended term campsite I would wear something more substantial.