It is currently October 18th, 2019, 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 12th, 2017, 7:42 am 

What's a realistic span of time to be on the river for an enjoyable trip? I've read 12 days, but that may or may not take into account bad weather or lazy floating and sight seeing.

Timing will be critical due to the long trip to and from Whitehorse, as well as the logistics for the shuttle from Carmacks. For such a summer trip in lake country, I'd usually allow 3 days cushion. I understand the river is fast at times, and Yukon weather in August particularly sketchy, so I'm not really sure how much time should be allotted to meet my goals.

I'd also like to enjoy the drive, avoiding a sleepless marathon road trip. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 1:22 pm 

I also have been thinking Big Salmon, though I'm hoping to continue down the Yukon to Dawson. The alternative to Big Salmon is the Teslin, but I've done that once (albeit 16 years ago) & reports of the Big Salmon make it sound pretty appealing. I'm planning to bring 30 days food plus a fishing rod to supplement, & lots of books, so a 3 or more day storm enforced lay-over won't be agony. When are you planning on going? Maybe we could combine forces for transportation at one end or the other.
Tom

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 2:48 pm 

Reading the 12 day itinerary for the BS and Yukon I see they spend three and a half days on the Yukon River.

From that I can deduce that they were not hurrying. Our journey( In August) took 2 days. We had one short day cause we spent three hours at Big Salmon Village. The other about 60 miles. We got to Coal Mine in plenty of time to enjoy laundry and a shower.

We will take 10 days food from Whitehorse to Carmacks but that is mostly because we are doing a large lake.. Our Johnson's Crossing to Dawson trip was 10 days.

There isn't any opportunity for lazy paddling on the Yukon unless you work at paddling backwards.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 3:08 pm 

I know I'm over-board allowing 30 days, but two things come into play on that. I've been blown off the water before & gone hungry before getting to a food source, plus, to my mind a big part of a trip like this is grabbing my pack & exploring here & there along the way. I have no doubt that I "could" do JC to Dawson in 6 days, but the pleasure could be tripled over 18 days. Actually more than tripled. 6 days work vs 6 days work & 12 days fishin', poking, plinking & exploring...sounds like a no-brainer to me.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 5:29 pm 

Oh totally agree. There is so much history. But the point is that 12 days is reasonable and not rushing it.

When you are coming from away add the days you would like for... well I could also spend an additional month traipsing with my camera.

My hubby would have to bring 60 books.. he reads two book a day on a rain day.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 3:22 pm 

Loon, 12 days is a reasonable time on the Big Salmon. We spent two nights in the cabin on Quiet Lake as the weather was pretty bad(it was late August 2013). We also spent two nights at Goat Creek and did a hike there. I'm going from memory rather than trip notes,but I think we had another lay day further down. There is a large lake RL partway down with a still working trapper's cabin. It isa good place to see wildlife. Once on the Yukon, there is a good camp on RR, above the confluence. It will require some eddy hopping but a better camp than at BS Village, though the latter does have a good shelter and the cabins are worth a stop. We did the section from the confluence in a day and a half in wind and rain. 40 + mille day...long, but not impossible especially if you don't have wind. PM me if you want more info and I could look at my notes for more detail.