It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 17th, 2022, 9:55 am 

Need help planning a canoe trip starting at Divide Lake. Follow Broken Skull to Nahanni. Canoe Nahanni to Virginia Falls. End trip below Virginia Falls. Need to know class rapids we may encounter along the route. Also need recommendations for flights and rental canoes. How early can we start the trip? Thanks for any info you can provide!

PostPosted: November 17th, 2022, 3:41 pm 

I did this trip in July 2017 and it was a great trip. We flew in using South Nahanni Airways and exited at Lindberg Landing. I think there is now the option of ending at Nahanni Butte and flying out from there, but unless you have folding boats you may find it expensive to have your boats flown out. We rented our boats with Blackfeather and arranged our land shuttle from Lindbergh Landing with them.

Classes of rapids in northern rivers are always difficult to assess in advance. Our July trip was essentially Class II, although the Broken Skull was pretty technical with lots of boulder dodging and manoeuvre in fast water required. The Nahanni is much less technical. The canyon below Virginia Falls has really big waves and can intimidate those not used to big water, but is not much of a technical challenge at July water levels. The Parks Canada Guide does not even rate Lafferty's Riffle, although it required scouting and more thought than other runs. Figure 8 used to be a Class III, but the gravel bar which created the compression and the tricky recirculating eddy RL and a whirlpool was washed out 15 or so years ago. In 2017 this is was not even as Class I. In June, when the water is higher, I think things would be very different.

Parks Canada has put out a couple of good guide books on both rivers. If you PM me I will send you copies. There are also published books like Peter Jowett & Neil Hartling, Nahanni River Guide which are useful.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2022, 10:56 am 

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/nt/naatsihchoh

PostPosted: November 28th, 2022, 9:31 am 

I have a complete set of topo maps if you want them. No charge. just let me know and I can drop them in the post.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2022, 4:26 pm 

The Wilderness Canoe Association has an online presentation coming up on Dec. 6th 7pm EST that you might be interested in. You have to be a WCA member to get the login info but here's the link on the WCA site to sign up: https://wildernesscanoe.ca/node/2731

PostPosted: September 15th, 2023, 10:17 am 

Route map: https://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/broke ... anni-river

PostPosted: September 15th, 2023, 3:17 pm 

I think a simple search will give tons of info/photos/extensive trip reports.
Every time I turn around I see another report on this exact trip.