It is currently December 9th, 2021, 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 30th, 2021, 10:42 am 

On July 7, 2017, my wife Kathleen and I flew out of Yellowknife to Old Fort Reliance at the east end of the East Arm of Great Slave Lake. Over the next 17 days we canoed back west 330 km (205 miles) along the north shore of the East Arm. We chose to be picked up at Pauline Bay, just before rounding a point where the East Arm opened up, exposing us to a potential fetch of 130 km (80 miles) or more. This could quickly create conditions where we could not paddle safely, or even make progress. Very high waves could assault us once we rounded that point toward Yellowknife. And besides, gazing out on such a large expanse of open lake might not be all that entertaining. We thought it prudent, and convenient, to be picked up at Pauline Bay.

My following trip report is very long — 138 pages. It contains a lot of information in addition to the trip itself. I explain why we selected to paddle in the East Arm of Great Slave Lake, particularly since Kathleen and I much prefer paddling rivers, as we appreciate being carried along by the current. On lakes, the canoeists themselves must do all of the paddling work. Not generally our favourite tripping experience.

I also include a lot of information regarding the planning stages of our trip, which took a fair amount of time and effort to put together. And finally, my report includes the drive up to Yellowknife and then back again to our home in Preeceville, Saskatchewan, a total distance of 2,403 km (1,489 miles). Those road segments of our Great Slave Lake trip turned out to be very challenging; but, our 1990 Ford Econoline Van, with a great deal of understanding and patience, eventually proved up to the task.

My trip report includes several maps and many images. I hope you enjoy the story, and that you agree with me and Kathleen that the East Arm of Great Slave Lake provides a premier canoeing adventure.

I have sent my PDF to Matthew Eberly, who has graciously volunteered to upload it here in the near future. Let me know what you think, and if you have any questions or comments.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2021, 11:46 am 

Look forward to it!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2021, 1:25 pm 

It's peaked my interest as well. Exciting news Michael.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2021, 1:51 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

For those who are paying attention;
The upload limit is 6MB in the forums. I temporarily increased the limit in order to attach Michael's trip report here, and then re-enforced the original value. Data storage is cheaper than it used to be ;)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2021, 2:31 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

I still also had to break up the document into multiple pieces.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2021, 11:00 pm 

Thanks to the Michael Pitt for sharing and to eberlym for the technical work involved in posting these reports. Lots to read and great pictures, too.

PostPosted: Yesterday, 4:43 pm 

It’s a long trip report but there’s a table of contents so you can easily decide to read whichever sections are of interest.
I like the canoe trip style of following the shoreline of the East Arm of Great Slave Lake. Simple. Somewhat sheltered or at least less than full exposure. Little heavy lifting—no traditional portages but still heaving gear to and from camp. Seems like a great way to age your canoe tripping.
And there are multiple such lake opportunities.
Michael wasn’t the only person seeking such a trip. He tells of meeting another traveller and paddler.
Thanks for doing your own thing, your own way.
Thank you for compiling and sharing your trip experience.