It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: run drag carry rapids
PostPosted: October 19th, 2021, 1:46 pm 
RUN WHEN YOU CAN

PostPosted: October 19th, 2021, 2:12 pm 

Did you make it to shore upright?

PostPosted: October 19th, 2021, 3:45 pm 
Had a bit of liquid ballast, but all good. Looks worst than it was. Actually, it was a setup. We came to this rapid on the Back River and were prepared to carry it when we discussed my running it. A short run ending in an eddy you can't see. We both decided it was OK. I set the packs up so the front would "pop" when I hit some rough water. 30 seconds later I was bailing water and wondered if the experience was worth the risk. Only the first wave was problematic. There have been many times we have run problematic water over the decades. Some we knowingly took and others were surprises. What part skill versus what part luck is an interesting question. For certain, I do remember them in real-time no matter how long ago they were. One of the most unusual happened on Schultz Lake about a day out from Baker Lake. We were running with a stiff wind when I heard a cresting wave behind me. It seemed to run the width of the lake. Didn't have time to turn and face it for fear of broaching it and didn't like the heavier rear end's facing it first also because of broaching. Kept up our speed and told my wife to prepare to bail. When it arrived I could feel it lifting the boat until the cresting passed by. That was my first and only experience in surfing a loaded open canoe. After it passed I felt nervous.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2021, 12:15 pm 
That all rapids are not the same the same could be said that not places within a given rapid are the same. That is why I case any significant rapid worth it's salt. The concept of forced-choice comes to mind. One particular rapid comes to mind, the last rapid on the Back River that came after leaving Franklin Lake. It was long and nasty. After a long time examining we decided to cross the river, about a 0.42 mile. of boney rapids. But it was what was below it that was of concern. If we trashed we would be in deep trouble. We were on the outside curve of a rapid and ferried over to the inside of the curve. It would be a very long hard slog vs a short carry. on the inside curve.

shows where we crossed over to northside

photo of rapids I wanted to avoid

shows rapid at island where we carried on the mainland

carry on the north side over the peninsula

thought to carry the chute on left but decided to run the lateral in right avoiding the vortex

PostPosted: October 20th, 2021, 7:15 pm 

Interesting post.

A little off your subject but in that first post of consecutive photos I can't help but wonder how it would have been if your were running a Pakboat instead of what looks like a solid shell.

Again in those photos of you running the rapids it looks like the water drop was quite important for the distance travelled. One heck of a lot of water.

Are you more comfortable with a double blade in those circumstances?

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: October 20th, 2021, 9:54 pm 
"A little off your subject" Indeed true. I made a video about carrying a canoe but it wasn't inspiring to say the least. I have a video about dragging the same uninspiring results. Not being able to do what I have done I meandered to memories about what I had done. The rapids coming out of Franklin Lake sparked the old neurons into action. I remember that boneyard on the right and the difficulty just getting there over a rockpile. Then examining the crossover to the northside. I had no idea of the rapid separating an island from the mainland, but three quarters over, it grabbed my attention. Nasty indeed.

I can give no advice on the handling of a Pakcboat, early on I used Trippers and they peeled over rocks where my Grumman would grab. A Pakboat is framed (?) and I would worry about the force of a loaded boat encountering rocks on the frame.

"Are you more comfortable with a double blade in those circumstances?" I am an exkayaker and the rhythm of the double-ender was burned in my muscle memory. At 80 my paddling days are over.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2021, 5:54 am 

dd said:
Quote:
At 80 my paddling days are over.

It seems like you have lived your life to it's fullest. Most of us here, who have been following your posts over the years, can only envy your tripping career. It has always been a joy to read you. Thanks for sharing.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: November 25th, 2021, 12:51 pm 

Don't give up at 80, unless there are legitimate health reasons!
I've seen 85 year olds kayaking on the ocean!

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken
You can never have too much education-me

PostPosted: November 25th, 2021, 1:11 pm 
"Don't give up at 80, unless there are legitimate health reasons!"

I have nondiabetic severe axonal peripheral neuropathy with foot drop in my left foot. I have not given up but my ambitions must match my abilities. It takes me an hour to walk a mile on flat ground. With two canes. But I am fortunate that the attendant pain is missing.