It is currently September 28th, 2020, 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chipman portage
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2009, 1:31 am 

Anyone been over the Chipman portage? Looks fairly straightforward but I thought I would see what the experience has been. I've posted this on the Saskatchewan board as well.

Post subject: Re: Chipman portage
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2009, 4:54 pm 

Andrew:

Many years ago four of us made the Chipman portage in a trip from Wollaston Lake to Great Slave Lake.

As I recall it took us a while to find it. It was a bit to the east of where I thought it should be. We could not find it from the water as there was heavy willow growth everywhere and too much greenery. One got the impression the access from Black Lake was not used much in the summer

But a longish inland scouting traverse, parallel to the water, found the start of the portage from Black Lake. It is of course a long slog, much used by skidoos (as we found skidoo parts here and there). At times I recall wondering if the route was more optimal for a winter skidoo than a summer canoe portage. In places it was a bit boggy - which would not be a problem in winter.

If you are heavy for a long trip you might check out the possibility of a short plane hop across the portage from the lodge at the west end of Black Lake.

What is your endpoint? Are you heading for Wholdai Lake? If so there is on open channel on the east side of Flett Lake - as an alternative to the short portage on the west side of Flett into Wholdai?

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2009, 6:33 pm 

George -

When you say "further east" than you thought, is it possible you were on the "old" trail, not the new one from the river mouth?

From the Saskatchewan canoe routes description:

" Chipman River enters the northwest corner of Black lake by flowing around a small island located at its mouth. The start of Chipman Portage is from a gravel bar located at the east side of the island.

Paddle up the river keeping a wary eye for rocks and unload directly onto the gravel bar on the east shore.

The portage passes through a line of trees, past a large well-blazed spruce visible from the lake, then runs parallel with the lake shore for approximately 400 metres (437 yards). Although this section of the portage is only a scant 15 metres (16 yards) from the lake, unloading anywhere along this shore is impossible due to the extreme shallowness of the lake at this point.

The trail heads northeast away from the lake and crosses a rocky ridge before an alternating series of short muskegs and sandy ridges. The latter, providing excellent campsites, are well treed with spruce up to 25 centimetres in diameter. The campsites (water available) are found for approximately the first two and a half kilometres (1.5 miles) of the portage, but the terrain then changes to muskeg for a further kilometre.

The portage climbs 4.5 metres (5 yards) up a stream bed in one place, then the muskeg continues until the trail makes a sharp turn up a rise then heads north.

The trail from this point is the old original Chipman Portage, the south end of which was abandoned when the new route was cut from the Chipman River.

Although the new route is approximately a kilometre longer than the original portage of four kilometres (2 miles), it is much the easier route. "

-jmc

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2009, 2:21 pm 

John:

This is both puzzling and interesting. I wonder if the river portage you note has been cut since our 1986 trip or if we missed it back then.

I've located my 1986 notes for our trip - which was from roads end at Wollaston Lake to Great Slave Lake.

We started on June 29 on Wollaston and landed at the mouth of the Chipman River on Black Lake at 5 PM on July 6.

The following, in quotes, is directly from my 1986 note book.

Our campsite at the Chipman River mouth is a "very camped over area - much cutting, garbage and a clearing." In landing I had assumed this was probably the start of the portage. Then "I explore a trail leading north but it peters out into nothing. The real portage trail is about 500 yards to the east."

The next day we start carrying our two heavy loads at 7:30 AM. "Much of the trail is boggy and wet. It is a well used, exceptionally wide trail. Much signs of skidoo travel on it - with broken red reflector pieces here and there. .... I get weary beyond belief - hope my body and my heart hold up. My hip joints ache, my feet are sore - I'm wearing running shoes."

After 5 hours we are at the other end of the Chipman but too tired to eat lunch. So we paddle on, doing 6 more portages, two being very short, before we reach Chipman Lake and our campsite.

As the trip went on we became much more trail hardened.

If course what can really make a long portage hell (below the tree line) is a recent fire and no new trail cut out - with fallen trees criss crossing in all directions.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2009, 2:24 pm 

I'd love to do the chipman portage sometime. My thoughts are canoe down the Cree, up the chipman, and then down the Porcupine.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2009, 9:34 pm 

we intercepted the chipman portage when we found an opening in the bushes within sound of the river. follow the garbage and you can't go wrong. get prepared for a grind.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2009, 1:00 pm 

thanks for all the replies. looking forward to it...heading up through that way to baker lake, not sure if we are going to cut over towards kasba or perhaps at a later point over to the kazan...i have half a mind to do that, though i never been all the way down the dubawnt. it doesn't really matter i suppose. can't wait to get back up there.

thanks again

PostPosted: March 5th, 2009, 1:39 pm 

Did you check Nastawgan already?

Chipman River SK From Reindeer to Selwyn 1986
Chipman River SK North of Black Lake 1993
Seehttp://www.wildernesscanoe.ca/NastIndx.php

PostPosted: March 10th, 2009, 8:44 pm 

Quote:
...not sure if we are going to cut over towards kasba or perhaps at a later point over to the kazan...

my wife and i did that throught Big Rocky via Cary Lake into the Kamilukuak and then carried over to the Nowleye and the Kazan.

you will find it here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dgdemello/C ... 5743627106

also concerning the chipman portage, go here and you will notice my particular route but more importantly just to the right you will notice a vertical "------" indicating what the cartographers thought was the route. i tried it but found it disintegrated a couple hundred yard in from the lake.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dgdemello/C ... 6137914674

PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 8:07 pm 

thanks brian.

and david, thanks for the link...looks great and is really making me wish that july was here. i can't wait to get back out there. for some reason i am drawn to these routes into a watershed...i guess it's the sense of history.

still haven't decided about the crossing over to the kazan and likely won't until we are on the water. we'll see...

thanks again everyone.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2009, 10:28 pm 

on the off chance that google maps might have enough resolution to show a ski mobile trail and that the chipman portage is just such a trail, i got this image.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dgdemello/D ... 8852663138

the lake at the bottom is black lake and one can easily see the ski mobile trail. by using the magnifying icon you will be able to see the scale and the location at google