It is currently September 21st, 2019, 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Simpson and Perry
PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 11:11 pm 

Evening,

I am looking for any and all information people may have on the Perry and Simpson rivers, they are options (along with Armark, though I found some info on it) that some friends and I are seriously looking at for next summer.

Are they completely undoable in low water? Which is bigger? Which is more remote? Wildlife, will we see much?

Any and all help is VERY welcome.

Thanks a lot,
Kyle

Post subject: Re: Simpson and Perry
PostPosted: June 12th, 2012, 12:49 pm 

I tough one, do share what you find!
Doable in low water, I would yes, as paddlers have gone from the Back to the Ellice, so by the time they got there it was low water. But that was the Ellice.
Bigger, can you use google earth to get a width idea and compare. I know, it's a pretty shallow indication but it would be start. Get maps and trace out the drainage area (or find an online drainage map?)
Both are remote!
I would guess to look at other rivers in the area, Ellice, Kaleet, Armark (that you mentioned).

http://rims.unh.edu/data/station/list.cgi?col=1 has some Discharge info ELLICE RIVER.

Wildlife, see
http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages/wp ... ports.aspx
and see 39. Numbers and Distribution of Muskoxen in the Queen Maud Golf Area (July 1982)

Good Luck and have fun!

PostPosted: June 12th, 2012, 8:41 pm 

The ellice is a great paddle. I highly recommend it.be prepared for a lot portages. You can also get over to the hukitak as welli

PostPosted: June 13th, 2012, 8:48 pm 

Kaleet River. did it by starting on the back and leaving back to portage to Joe Lake and then transfer to the Kaleet. made it to Weir Creek after a run along Sherman Basin. Up Weir and then with some portages made it to Squirrel River and out to Barrow Inlet where i found an a ride to Goa Haven. A bit thin on water at first but improved as we went down stream.

link to some photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1098251012 ... irrelRiver

PostPosted: June 13th, 2012, 10:22 pm 

The Hoyle/ Hodgins book, "Canoeing North into the Unknown" documents trips on both the Simpson and Perry. Both rivers are described as silty. It mentions that one attempt on the Simpson had to be aborted due to low water, and also notes an attempt at the Kaleet blocked by low water.

It sounds like an area where water levels can be critical, but not too easy to determine before setting out.

Best of luck.

-jmc

PostPosted: June 17th, 2012, 10:26 pm 

crossover from back river to joe lake

start of kaleet river

one of several drags at low water

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 12:11 am 

Thanks all for the prompt responses.
I should clarify. This is not the only river we are doing. We will start at Pike's Portage, head up to Artillery, then down the Hanbury/Thelon, hit Aberdeen Lake and then head down the Morse to Garry Lake, and from there we are looking to take a river that not many people have done and document a lot of what we see out there. One of the guys going with us is a photojournalist, so we are trying to capture the essence of some of these remote rivers.

JMC,
I have read Canoeing North and that's why I was curious about these things, because I don't want to get caught having to bust butt the last week of a trip when we should be enjoying it by turning around and cruising down the Back (which would make our trip essentially the exact same as that of Jeremy Harrison, a good friend, and we want to try something new).

Have you paddled the Hukitak, Doug? If so, how did it compare to the Armark?

David, how were the rapids and wildlife on the Kaleet?

Are there rules/permits needed for camping in the Queen Maud Bird Gulf Sanctuary?

Thanks again,
Kyle

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 9:06 am 

David, how were the rapids and wildlife on the Kaleet?

rapids relatively easy. lots of geese, some caribou at least one wolf.

the water was almost undrinkable. my main reasons for doing river were logistical. i thought the most difficult section was to be going up weir creek and making the crossover to squirrel river and barrow inlet. not so, it proved the easiest section to do. once i got to salt i correctly assumed a ride to goa haven. the price was one canoe i was going to leave anyway. got to see some interesting inukshuks up close.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 11:25 pm 

The Hukitak is on the bucket list. However as the easiest way to it is via the Ellice it does give you some options in the event of a low water year. You could just do the Ellice. oh darn

The water was fairly high for on the Armark so we were able to crash down some bolder sieves that you wouldn't ordinarily do. In lower water it will be boney.

I haven't heard of any restrictions about being in the bird sanctuary. You will see a lot of geese