It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 19th, 2016, 1:05 pm 

I'm happy :D to be paddling from the Hanbury/Thelon confluence to Beverly L. for the 2nd time in 14 years.

On that first trip we started on Radford L. and went down the Hanbury to the Thelon. I wanted to see Helen Falls but my partner (now sadly deceased) wasn't that interested and we were stopped by some swift current and a deep creek that prevented us hiking to the falls.

This time we putting in at the H/T junction and I would like information on the relative ease of paddling upstream and then hiking to the falls. Somewhere on this Forum I read of someone saying it was only a 2.5 km hike. I can't find the post again. Looking at the map it looks like about 9 miles. After 14 years, I'm foggy on the current of the lower Hanbury. We probably have time to paddle to a point close to the falls but if it involves lining, wading, struggling, etc. we probably don't.

Any information and/or advice would be appreciated.

I went to the woods to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life . . . and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2016, 1:34 pm 

A brief comment in this HACC write-up mentions "one day of relatively easy lining."

http://www.canoe.ca/che-mun/arcticland.html

John Harrison's travels up the Hanbury are in this thread

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 23&t=33047

Perhaps try to PM him.

Good luck.

-jmc

PostPosted: June 19th, 2016, 5:37 pm 

As you know, there is current coming down the Hanbury. Of course, people have tracked upstream as well as hiked overland. With skill and work both are possible. Which is easier, not sure. The water route is simple to follow--head upstream, whereas the hiking route is not defined and there are options. I would suggest looking at the terrain and following the high ridges and open country and staying away from the drainage areas, which are often more bushy and treed. So look at the topo maps and satellite imagery to scope out possible routes. Yes a longer easier walk might be better than a shorter bushier route, thus look downstream of the Hanbury Thelon junction to find the best route overland to the Helen Falls. I would consider either a 2 or 3 day adventure such as 1 day there, overnight, 1 day back or 1 day most of the way there, 1 day to finish off the hike, see the falls and return to hike camp, and day 3 to hike back to the river camp where you started.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2016, 3:05 am 

Thanks for the info/advice. It looks like we won't have time.

BTW, JMC, I never could get to the post about Harrison by pasting the link into my browser.

As an aside, I have discovered that it is possible to drive into Canada from the US and legally ship a canoe to another Canadian destination. In my case Sherbrooke to Yellowknife. After arriving at FedEx, I found that they do not go there, but happily Purolator does and gets it there in about 5 days.

I went to the woods to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life . . . and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2016, 4:15 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Shippy wrote:
BTW, JMC, I never could get to the post about Harrison by pasting the link into my browser.

The links have been truncated, and can't be copied/pasted.

You can just click on the links and they will open.

Barbara

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2016, 7:38 am 

Thanks Barbara. I obviously haven't been spending much time here....