It is currently November 27th, 2021, 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Kaleet River
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2021, 9:52 pm 

The Kaleet River Although I consider it one of my more interesting river trips, I would not consider it for a repeat. My original reason for doing it was where the journey would eventually release me on the road to Gjoa Haven, Barrow Inlet. Barrow Inlet avoided the long passage along Chantrey Inlet. In a nutshell that is the sum total for doing the river. If the Kaleet provided inadequate water then we would muscle it back to the Back River. I learned post facto that efforts had been made to 'master' the Kaleet River. They failed because of low water. One Jim Abel out of Boston and a fellow from Japan, Akai (sp?) Getting to the Kaleet headwater is a problem. According to Jim Abel, when he was rescued many of the surrounding lakes were too shallow and it was problematic. I have no particulars other than that. Interestingly enough we encountered Abel a Gjoa Haven the year that we did the Kaleet! I especially remember him saying after finding out we did the Kaleet in a Grumman "Why don't you join the 20th Century?" So I will leave it up to you and your pilot as to the logistics of getting there. Our method was to be dumped at Jim Margrum Lake by Air Tindi out of Yellowknife and run the Back to Lower Macdougall Lake, turn north and make our way via a portage to Joe Lake. Run up the east side of Joe Lake and do a carry to the headwaters of the Kaleet River at some convenient spot.

Air Tindi
area map
Back River to Joe Lake
from Joe Lake to Kaleet

Post subject: Re: The Kaleet River
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2021, 11:01 pm 

First encounter with the Kaleet River. When we 'ran' it the bottom of the Grumman growled loudly over the gravel, maybe 4 to 6 inches of water that was at most 6 to 7 feet wide.

Given the inauspicious beginning, one could only wonder what one could expect. Interestingly we came across a stone fire ring. at the bottom of a peninsula as indicated. That we took as a good omen. People had passed this way. That was the last time we found similar comforting evidence. No fingerpost indicating this is the way others have gone. So for the next 15 days (7/29-8/13), we did what we had to do, what we chose to do. No backup satellite phone or otherwise. Barrow Inlet was saltwater and that was the first place where we had a chance to meet anyone. I shall soon put up photos we made along the way.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2021, 8:13 am 

Looking forward to your next post

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2021, 9:48 am 

This is a work in progress. If I can hook onto a memory and I am comfortable with it I will incorporate it. Metaphorically what I share with others is the froth of nonconscious processes. A Jungian iceberg if you will. Closer to home the surface turbulence of a river is the consequence of what lies beneath. For example "No backup satellite phone or otherwise. " could mean no emergency locating device. Most of my tripping was without any such device. I also didn't carry a firearm. I know in this trip I carried a 12 gauge shotgun but I have no memory of a locator device. Later on, I carried a shotgun and locator, and satellite phone. A strong comfort to my wife's mother. Once or twice a week they would share banter. I did use the shotgun to kill a bear that returned after having trashed our campsite in search of more goodies. I just remembered using an electric fence! Must have been a good year in the stock market. I also graduated from a Frostline tent kit I had to sew to a North Face tent I saw pictured on Mount Everest. I even had a Spot locator.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2021, 2:07 pm 

drag little water

drag more water

Inuksuks

PostPosted: October 24th, 2021, 12:05 am 

Bottom end of Kaleet, Sherman Basin, Weir Creek, Squirrel River