It is currently August 19th, 2019, 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2016, 8:16 pm 

I just listened to the CBC Radio show about the 1987 Kazan trip suggested by Kinguq. From the mid 80s to the mid 90s I instructed staff training for PROJECT Canoe. One of the staff, a girl named Sarah G-C, told us of a brutal trip she'd been on the previous year. In the CBC doc one of the participants on the 1987 trip was named Sarah. I met Mike Craig, another 1987 participant, a couple of times when he was working for the Bronte Creek Project. Mike and Sarah are the type that would prevail over adversity.

It appears from their map that the group did not access Kasba Lake via the Little Partridge River. It looks like they went upstream on the Thlewiaza from Fort Hall Lake, through Snider Lake and then over land to another small river entering the far south end of Kasba Lake. They may also have taken the Buick River out of Kasmere Lake.

It took them 55 days to make the trip from Reindeer to Baker. We allowed 56 for our trip from Wollaston, which is much shorter. Looks like they began paddling on July 1st, 2 weeks later than we did. I believe it was Alex Hall that made the point about starting early and finishing early to avoid the August storms but, being a summer camp, they would not have had this option. I would have dropped the solo canoe ASAP. Anyway it's all hind sight. They did finally make it and there was a happy ending, 28 years later, "Under The Bridge".

PostPosted: June 4th, 2016, 8:26 am 

Les W wrote:
It took them 55 days to make the trip from Reindeer to Baker. We allowed 56 for our trip from Wollaston, which is much shorter. Looks like they began paddling on July 1st, 2 weeks later than we did. I believe it was Alex Hall that made the point about starting early and finishing early to avoid the August storms but, being a summer camp, they would not have had this option. I would have dropped the solo canoe ASAP. Anyway it's all hind sight. They did finally make it and there was a happy ending, 28 years later, "Under The Bridge".

The fact that one participant apparently suffered a breakdown he attributed to the trip (PTSD?) and was hospitalized for a month suggests that it was not a cakewalk. I certainly agree about the solo canoe: they would probably been better off tripling up in one canoe. But as you say, hindsight.

Kinguq

PostPosted: April 15th, 2017, 10:32 am 

Awesome trip, thanks for sharing it!
How did U give away 2 canoes and finish?
Was this because you had eaten most supplies by then?
Happy Paddling.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2017, 5:54 pm 

We gave away the canoes because our paddling ended at Baker Lake . Also it would have cost us much more to have them taken out than they were worth . Mine was a 1992 Swift Albany and has taken me on many canoe trips .Probably well over 10,000 kliks on it and was getting pretty thin on the bottom . I would not have been able to take it on another extended trip . scouter Joe

PostPosted: May 9th, 2017, 6:32 pm 

Hey Joe, how did the guys like the Scott Missinaibi on the trip?
I've heard good things from other members so I put my order in for the newest version of it from H2O, the Voyageur, in a +50lbs Innegra layup.
I've watched the trip pics a couple times now and am gonna watch again.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 6:30 pm 

If you are looking for good things for any of us to say about that boat you will be disappointed . It is a moving water design boat and was horrible on the flats . The boat was only 5 years old and Murray was glad to leave it behind . scouter Joe

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 9:32 pm 

Thanks for the info, I only paddled it for a bit, but hopefully the lighter weight and refined shape will make it better on flat water.
I want to use it a lot on moving water.
Happy paddling.