It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Comet Ison
PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 9:05 am 

Comet Ison is now within the earth's orbit heading for the sun.
It's closet approach is Nov 28.
When/if it makes it around it could be one of the best light shows in our lifetime.
And Since weather and viewing can be iffy, I thought we should start a discussion on where to see it, tips (Steve... :oops: ) and plans for quick get aways to dark skies.
Much easier to make rough plans now than at the last second because if it is a good show. I will change my winter camping plans.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

Post subject: Re: Comet Ison
PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 9:17 am 

So if I get the chance to get out camping around that time, which compass quadrant should have open sky access to get the best view?
A lake-side campsite with a clear view of the relevant sky would make for great viewing and photos.
tks
Ted

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 10:00 am 

Ted wrote:
So if I get the chance to get out camping around that time, which compass quadrant should have open sky access to get the best view?
A lake-side campsite with a clear view of the relevant sky would make for great viewing and photos.
tks
Ted
Check out the location map from Sky and Telescope magazine:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/communit ... 09261.html

From the same:
"Comet ISON now seems unlikely to put on a spectacular naked-eye display in the dawn during December. But no one knows for sure."
No one knows for sure, but like other "once in a lifetime" celestial events, ISON could prove to go the way of past comets that were publicized and hyped with expectations set a bit too high by the media. What may be a disappointment for the uneducated public may otherwise well be a scientific or aesthetic spectacle for the better informed minority. Whatever show ISON decides to put on, I will enjoy it anyway.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 6:45 pm 

It is defiantly a "watch and react" event.
Nov 28 is when it is closest to the sun,
Right now they do not know if it will survive it's close pass.
I am just hoping!
I just hope to be ready, and hope the weather co-operates.....
(gee there's a lot of hoping gong on here)
And with a few handy tips we will sorta be ready..... :roll:
Quote:
After dark on New Year’s Day the comet will be high in the notrthern sky, with its tail pointing up towards the Pole Star – and that’s where it itself will be heading throughout early January,

link
http://waitingforison.wordpress.com/january-2014/
Lets Hope! :D
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 9th, 2013, 8:11 pm 

Update
http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_up ... d_id=89285
Jeff

PostPosted: November 9th, 2013, 8:13 pm 

And there's more and I am off this week....we will see if if is worth going someplace...
http://www.spaceweather.com/

Quote:
BRIGHTER THAN ISON: Comet ISON is getting all the press, but it's not even the brightest comet in its own patch of sky. That would be Comet Lovejoy (C/2013 R1), one of four comets now rising in the east before dawn:

Image credits: Sormano Astronomical Observatory (Nov. 7, 2013)

Pictured from left to right are exploding Comet LINEAR X1, sungrazing Comet ISON, short-period Comet Encke, and the brightest of them all, Comet Lovejoy. All four are visible in binoculars or backyard telescopes, and Comet Lovejoy (mag. +6.0) is visible to the naked eye from dark-sky sites. Comet ISON is actually one of the faintest of the group; only expanding Comet LINEAR X1 (mag. +8) is more difficult to see.

An apparition of so many comets at once is a rare thing, and amateur astronomers are encouraged to wake up early for a tour of the pre-dawn sky. Dates of special interest include Nov. 15-18 when Comet LINEAR X1 passes by the bright star Arcturus, Nov 17-18 when Comet ISON has a close encounter with Spica, and Nov. 18-20 when Comet Encke buzzes Mercury. These stars and planets make excellent naked-eye guideposts for finding the comets. Meanwhile, bright Comet Lovejoy is approaching the Big Dipper; if you can't see it with your unaided eye, a quick scan with binoculars will reveal it

PostPosted: November 14th, 2013, 4:02 pm 

In the last 24 hours it has brightened 2 magnitudes which puts it now on the edge of naked eye visibility.
Which means now we have to hope for some weather co-operation.
Jeff

PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 2:49 pm 

Thanks for posting this one Jeff. I was going to ask you as well if you had been out yet. I would not wait until the 28th to try and capture it just in case it does not survive. Early morning looking east is the place to be. Ison is racing the sun to the horizon so you need to be up and at em around 4:30 or so. Not sure if you would have a good vantage point from the hill in Glen Eden or not. I can at least can go to the edge of the escarpment for a vantage point. This weekend the clouds did not cooperate for me. I will be out next weekend before Ison meets the sun.

Apparently Lemon and Lovejoy are other targets to consider as well. I will have to do some homework on these.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. John Wooden.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 4:48 pm 

Skeeter wrote:
...I would not wait until the 28th to try and capture it just in case it does not survive. Early morning looking east is the place to be. Ison is racing the sun to the horizon so you need to be up and at em around 4:30 or so.... I will be out next weekend before Ison meets the sun.
I was able with binocs to glimpse ISON without structure in brightening twilight on the morning of the 15th. Unless it does something really unexpectedly spectacular, it is unlikely you will see it now until it gets far enough away from the sun again sometime after the first few days of December. Certainly it is not visible from the ground within several days around perihelion. Check status here:

http://www.isoncampaign.org/Present

Look here for a really well done motion graphic:
http://www.solarsystemscope.com/ison/

PostPosted: November 19th, 2013, 8:27 am 

There is always tomorrow I got up early this morning to catch a view of the tri-factor, Lenoids, Lovejoy and Ison, however the clouds had other ideas. I was hoping as it started to clear last night. All three are in close proximity to the Big Dipper enabling you to locate them pretty quickly. Try again tomorrow morning.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. John Wooden.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2013, 9:35 pm 

Tomorrow looks good cloud wise, trouble with view points along the escarpment in MIlton Burlingtion (Mount Nemo) you have to look through Toronto's lights.
Might have better luck with spots from Hamilton to Niagara.
The beach strip might work.
Ison had another burst in brightness this morning to around a +4.
Jeff

PostPosted: November 19th, 2013, 9:41 pm 

I was thinking of the beach strip myself. Looking to be awake at 4:00 once again to see what is going on. Lovejoy might be the better one for photographing at this point.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 7:56 am 

ISON was easier to see than I expected this morning, 20 Nov. Binoculars showed a dim fuzzball with a slight elongation away from the Sun. At a temperature of 15 degrees F, the sky was extremely transparent, but with a bright Moon enhancing skyglow from a fresh snow cover. In spite of the Moon, morning twilight was not at first a factor in finding ISON. A few minutes later, rarely seen Mercury was also much brighter than I expected, as I saw it emerge directly up from the distant horizon. ISON was much farther up by then as twilight brightened. Comet Lovejoy was quite easy as it is extremely high where the sky is darkest. I even saw one bright Leonid straggler.

EDIT... I almost forgot to mention that I saw the Wallops Island VA launch of the ORS-3 satellite last evening. It was pretty interesting to watch the launch live on the internet (NASA-TV), and then 90 seconds later see the actual vehicle streaming along about 20 degrees above my southern horizon. I'm located in north-central NY state, some 450+ miles away.

Last edited by nessmuk on November 20th, 2013, 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 10:18 am 

I was out as well but did not have the level of success that I was hoping for. Very odd that I could easily locate Lovejoy with my binoculars but not the camera. It was very fuzzy to the eye through binoculars but even with a long exposure I was unable to capture it on the camera. i had a fair drive ahead of me so I had to head backto get ready for work before Ison made an appearance. The plus for me was hearing a very large pack of coyotes as well as a great horned owl close by. I will try closer to home this time and look for Ison before it is too late.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2013, 7:27 am 

So, I step out my front door, look straight up and the Big Dipper is right there. Where do I look for the comets other than ISON?

The other questions is, what happens when I take my nice and warm DSLR out of the house into the -35c air? Any hints on how to transition it from warm to cold?

If I drive 3 minutes I can be in pitch black without light.

Karin