It is currently September 21st, 2020, 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Go pro camera
PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 8:49 pm 

Anyone here have the Go Pro camera ? Looks like a great camera to take canoeing . Was wondering if its hard to work . I'm not that great with cameras .

Post subject: Re: Go pro camera
PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 8:58 pm 

I think the newer gopro is more user friendly,I had an older one and found it was hard to tell if it was on or not.
if you are just looking for a camera that is waterproof there are better options out there,for hands free video then gopro is the way to go

PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 9:28 pm 

Might put that on my Xmas list . Thanks

PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 1:53 am 

Yes, Debbie, be sure you know how you want to use it while canoeing. I've taken many thousands of photos while canoeing, even while running class 1-2 rapids, but I have little interest in video. I use waterproof cameras that don't have the "head shot" capability of the GoPro, but my latest Canon takes hand held 1080p video of very good quality, and its capability for still shots is way beyond that of the GoPro.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 9:18 am 

I'm really interested in the videos . And being able to take them while portaging and paddleing . I will sure investigate the workings of the gopro and just how Unser friendly it is. Thanks !

PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 10:23 am 

I have been using one for work. They use a drop down menu system on a small LCD screen to select settings. It is not too hard to use and the manual is easy to understand though you would need to spend plenty of time playing with the various settings to know what the results would be. Potentially the biggest disadvantage is a lack of playback screen to check what you have recorded.
They come with a remote control to change the settings and the ability to sync with a computer but never got round to using that function.

I have been using it on the time lapse function, attached to a long decorators pole to collect a series of birds-eye images. It was great being able to take a picture every couple of seconds over a 10 minute period while waving the 18ft pole over our work site.

For some reason they have chosen to use a non-std. tripod mount so I had to buy a separate mounting unit. I often feel the head mounted videos are not the best point of view, preferring a camera position behind and above the paddlers head.

Chris

PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 10:23 am 

Got one this year as a gift. Lots of fun. If you're hoping to put together more dynamic videos, the GoPro is a good complimentary camera. It has a fixed focal length ultra-wide lens, so it may be an asset to have another camera that has a little reach as well. Most good P+S cameras shoot quite decent video, so there are lots of options.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: November 12th, 2013, 11:04 pm 

Hi Debbie. The GoPro is a great camera, espescially if you are doing any shooting in or around water, which makes it the ideal camera to take while canoeing or kayaking. It's very rugged and takes up very little space in a backpack. Because It's small and light it can be mounted in places a 'normal' camcorder would never fit (like on the end of a paddle or stuck to the hull with a suction mount or clamped to a seat or yoke). It records amazing High definition video in various resolutions and frame rates and shoots pretty good stills too. One of the best features of this camera is the time-lapse option that allows you to achieve some amazing motion effects. True, it does not have a view screen, but a snap-on LCD screen can be purchased as an option and the Wi-Fi remote allows you to operate the camera remotely. My son and I always take two GoPros on our canoe trips (along with too-much other photo-video gear as well), but if I only had to take one camera, it would be the GoPro.
-Wayne-

PostPosted: December 18th, 2013, 5:20 pm 

I got a GoPro when my other waterproof camcorder died on a trip on the Madawaska River in July. It was still under warranty, so Henry's offered me several options, one of which was to up grade to a Gopro, which I did. Haven't had a chance to really use it yet but one thing that has me concerned from playing around with it was the battery life. Do I have a bad battery or what because I can barely get a half hour recording time before the battery needs charging. Is that normal?

PostPosted: January 14th, 2014, 10:55 pm 

...Hi guys....just wanted to slip in my 2 cents worth on the GoPro camera.Mine is simply the GoPro Hero HD....now you can get the #2.;..#3...etc I've had it for a couple of years now and it really is an amazing lil camera, but I find it to have drawbacks.
Dave:...I think your concerns about the battery life is well founded.(I'm going to get sidetracked here for a min.)
I've done photography all my life practically ....had the Canon A-V1 SLR when we went from film to digital and now own the Canon EOS Digital 'Rebel ' with a standard 50mm that was stock and a400mm Teloscophic I added from Henry's.

I bought a new spare battery shortly after purchasing the GoPro because the thing seemed to be 'juice hungry',...(the canon rebel has everlasting juice, so maybe I'm spoiled..lol)...anyway,I also bought the BacPac attachable LCD monitor and this really added insult to injury,...juice consumption wise.That lil screen needs a standard 12 V car battery!!!!! Playback a lil vid or two and you can see the battery juice indicator nosedive right before your eyes!!!! I have all the clear waterproff case thingies and different backdoors for wind and things but I don't find the GoPro as user friendly as I expected it to be .and not just menuwise either.
Taking it out of the case to recharge the battery so often risks messing up that perfect white rubber seal... not to mention that one of those days, I expect that black shiny plastic tension lock on the perplex waterproof case to just snap..( ..Beware!!!...just a stray hair wedged in between that white rubber seal can make life pretty miserable...)Also...the last time I charged the battery, I noticed to my utter dismay that that somewhat delicate lil clip that keeps the battery door closed has broken off, without my knowledge and now I have a rubber band around it while I try to scare up one on ebay....
Furthermore....when it's on your head (with headstrap) or anywhere else (where you can't see that lil 3/4" window above the lens to check if the numbers are blinking which indicates that the thing is actively recording)....you are never truly convinced that the camera is running..... so you end up peering around the camera like you're parinoid or something and your mug staring back at you in all its 'fisheye glory' at the beginning of each vid is truly unsettling.When you are recording a 'onetime deal'..or a fairly long session this added security becomes a must because it's a bommer to realize "after the fact"..that you got zilch for all your troubles....grr...lol
A fully charged battery in good shape should provide 2 -1/2 hours (I think) of usage but if I was to rate this camera overall, it could stand to undergo some real serious changes....but I guess I need to move on to the GoPro 2...or 3 for that....same old....same old....lol
Debbie:You can, upon studying the 'instructions list' switch to a 'simplifed mode 'of usage where when you depress the power button (the one on the front just above the lens on my model), the camera starts recording instantaniously without having to move it from standby mode to depressing the shutter button (Top) to start recording.
I don't use mine a lot, so feel free to correct me on anything or everything I said in this post.I will dig it out as well as the instructions (which are pretty scary really!!) untill you get the hang of it.
..The best way I found with these technical things is "familiarization"...this comes with ...use it...use it....use it...untill you know it inside out....in awkward places...in a storm....in the dark...BTW..it's near usless in low light....but for close up shots and video, the effects can be totally OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!! especially if you can get it to record from real low or high angles where the human eye is not expected to be at....

Hope this helps

martin

PostPosted: January 15th, 2014, 12:42 pm 

....been tryin' to get a photo of my 'stripper' build in my avatar but not having any luck.when i click 'Browse' and select the pic i want and click 'ok' everything just disappears.....Admin. been trying to help me with it also....no luck.Could someone plse enlighten me on this?
many thanks

martin

PostPosted: January 15th, 2014, 3:15 pm 

Quote:
Could someone plse enlighten me on this?

Martin, this worked for me with avatars...

Upper RH corner this page, click User Control Panel...

LH side, click Profile

LH side, click Edit Avatar

Then in the space provided, add in an image file from your machine or a URL from an online storage site... the image will probably have to be reduced in size to fit into the avatar space.

The image file uploaded to CCR must be 150x200 pixels maximum... see the note on the avatar page. In Windows, it can be reduced in Paint by right-clicking a jpg image and selecting View in Paint, then clicking Image, then clicking Stretch/Skew... reduce the image by some percentage, eg 5%, then click Attributes to see how many pixels it's been reduced to, height and width. If it isn't small enough or if it's been reduced too small, close Paint and try again with a different percentage reduction.

Once it's the right size, 150x200 pixels or less, save and name the reduced image file, it should be a jpg file and that's the file name you need to enter in the space on the avatar page.

Then upload the file to CCR and the image should appear as your avatar.

I've remembered all the steps correctly, I think... if it doesn't work out let me know.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2014, 9:55 pm 

Thanx sooooo much FT....Took some doin' but I finally got it to work!!!LOL :

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 11:23 pm 

I purchased a GoPro hero 3+ black about 3 weeks ago. Haven't used it on a trip yet, just experimenting with it on walks and so forth. I will re-iterate what others have said. This little camera is very niche specific. In some ways it is amazing, in other ways it can be frustrating.

I think it is best suited for doing action sequences, or due to its small weight, mounting it in unusual spots and getting strange/creative angles. This coupled with its ultra wide angle and wifi/remote make it perfect for set up shots. The ultrawide angle lens would also be excellent for selfie's in the cramped confines of your canoe where my 18 mm wide angle on my cropped sensor DSLR doesn't quite cut it. The video quality is excellent and on par with my DSLR and its high frame rate capability makes it in many ways superior for doing slow-motion video than my much more expensive DSLR.

The downside is that it is meant to be point and shoot. Many of its controls are not accessible. It shoots wide open aperture all the time and automatically adjusts ISO and shutter speed to keep the frame rate close to its set point. The lack of view finder hinders it use for photography, where looking through the viewfinder and getting rid of non-essential elements in the frame is half the battle. Changing settings through its menu and two button lay-out is slow, although easy to understand. The wifi-smart phone app gives you a delayed image of the camera to help set up shots, but realistically, how many of us want to be fiddling with our smart phones in our canoes (let alone keeping those phones plus camera powered). The water-proof remote that comes with the black version is nice, gives the same display as the camera LCD (not a live-view just what the camera is doing), works up to 180' away (in a clear line of sight) but also zaps power because the camera's WIFI must be turned on to use the remote. Still, if you are one to set up shots like taking pictures of yourself canoeing across frame without somebody holding your camera, the remote lets you do that while preserving battery and memory.

Lastly, that waterproof housing that so wonderfully protects the camera and makes it immersible (ooh, I'm so looking forward to the first fish being caught and dunking the camera on monopod in the water as the fish is reeled in) also makes the audio pick-up atrocious. This forces you to either just put music over the recorded video, voice over afterwards or use an external/independent mic and synch the sound later in post processing. All are viable options, but add to effort later on.

Then again, when I think back at the number of times I almost lost my $2000+ DSLR & lens to the drink getting in or out of the canoe or being too lazy to duct tape my tropod to the cross bar....Or the times where I wetted out my DSLR so bad in mists and drizzle rain that the buttons on my camera refused to cooperate...I appreciate the merits of having a little fully waterproof camera for those times when its not so prudent to bring out your basic set-up.

While I think you can certainly get away with using the GoPro as your dedicated tripping camera, you will have to do a lot of work editing it afterwards. I also think the wide angle provides unique angles and perspective, but might get a bit tiring over an extended trip documentary. Personally, I think these little guys are best paired with another camera set and using the GoPro to add in creative flair. That is my take. I ended up buying mine because it was less than the cost of an equivalent wide-angle lens for my DSLR (and you get the camera with it), it is far less weight than such a lens, its water proof characteristics will let me extend video footage to situations I wouldn't normally do, its incredibly flexible mounting system/mounting accessories and long range remote. But I also intend on bringing my regular camera with the GoPro on most of my trips.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 10:02 pm 

DaveH wrote:
. Do I have a bad battery or what because I can barely get a half hour recording time before the battery needs charging. Is that normal?

Unfortunately this is normal.

I've had good luck with a couple knockoff batteries. I now carry 4 batteries.