It is currently September 30th, 2020, 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 26th, 2014, 9:34 am 

I was recently able to test and review the latest HD action camera from Polaroid, the XS100i Wi-Fi Extreme Edition. This review also gave us a great excuse to get the new canoe out and test out the camera with some different angles of paddling etc. The Polaroid performed well and proved it can compete. At half the price of the GoPro it's a great option to consider! It seems to be a versatile little camera that will no doubt accompany us on future canoe trips.

PROS
+ LOW PRICE
+ AUTO-ROTATION
+ EASY TO USE
+ WIFI APP
+ GREAT MOUNTS

CONS
- CAN'T CHANGE BATTERY
- NO DISPLAY
- PC ISSUES

LASTING IMPRESSION
A great camera to consider when looking for a HD action camera. While falling short of the top tier GoPro in comparisons, this versatile camera still proves it can compete. You can't beat the low price point too!

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: April 26th, 2014, 5:30 pm 

There are quite a few GoPro knock offs coming out of China these days, most are in the $75 - $150 range.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2014, 8:31 pm 

Good review. Looks like a nice little camera. I ended up going with the goprop 3+ black and was at the time considering the Sony action-cam as a cheaper alternate. I'm still happy with the GoPro. I'm a bit surprised at how washed-out those GoPro shots look from your video (I even watched it in HD) and usually find that my Gopro gives crisp shots without much post processing relative to my DSLR (Nikon D7000).

Anyhow, this looks like another viable alternative and I think you gave a balanced review of its merits. Inability to switch out batteries would be a deal killer for me on this one. I even bring 2 spares for my DSLR on trips.

I have a love hate relationship with the Go-Pro waterproof case. I already broke the locking clip and had a rather long argument with Henry's (for which I bought an extended warranty). They were willing to give me a new case but would void my extended warranty which cost more than a replacement case. I ended up buying a second case separately to keep the warranty on the camera proper but this is the second time I've had issues with Henry's on an extended warranties (last time it was on a $900 Nikon lens that fell apart on the inside. They saw a scratch on the filter ring and claimed I dropped the lens and voided the warranty. I spent $350 on the lens repair only to have it fall apart again 6mo later. Now its a beautifully engineered paper weight). They sure as heck don't make DSLR camera's and lens like the old film ones! Anyhow, the lack of a case would make the mic pick-up on the polaroid much more responsive than the Gopro.

[Edit] BTW congrats on the new novacraft canoe looks like a beaut!

PostPosted: April 29th, 2014, 7:52 pm 

Great job, and thanks. Been trying to decide on a system myself. The Sony is a big contender for me. And would be interested in a review from if you have experience with it.

Otherwise I am a little confused. I watched the video from the Polaroid (noting to myself how clear and vibrant the colours were) when at the same time you were saying that the opposite was true? Did I hear this in error, did you speak in error, or is there something wrong with my monitor?

Thanks again

PostPosted: May 1st, 2014, 10:01 am 

The Polaroid has a darker image saturation and is not as sharp as the GoPro.

Sharpness is in reference to the overall image clarity. On a tiny monitor it is hard to tell the difference, but blown up you start to notice that the Polaroid creates a larger amount of "noise" and pixalation. This is likely owed to having a difference in image sensor sizing: GoPro (1/2.3" 12 MP) Polaroid (1/2.5” 5MP).

The darker saturation is noticeable on a cloudy day. GoPro fills in well in this regards, but if your color looks a little dull you can boost the saturation in post production without losing the clarity or quality. Far off objects (like the trees in paddling shots) become a little more blurred together in the darkness whereas the GoPro picks up the fine details of each individual tree outline.

Overall it's a great little camera though!

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com