It is currently September 21st, 2020, 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 21st, 2014, 8:02 am 

... according to some news reports, since global camera sales generally declined by 40% in 2013... "world's most versatile camera" is on their website ("the most popular portable action camera system on earth" is written below). That 40% decline number might not include smartphone cameras.

GoPro sales rose to almost $1 billion in 2013, still they're hoping to grow larger by raising $100 million more in stock offerings to be traded on the stock market. Is Les Stroud going to be buying shares?

Quote:
GoPro IPO seeks to raise $100 million

The Associated Press

Posted: May 20, 2014 9:23 AM ET

Action camera company GoPro is hoping to go public and raise as much as $100 million in an IPO on the Nasdaq, the company revealed in corporate filings Monday.

The California based company hinted in February it planned to go public in the near future, but Monday's filings with the SEC were the first indications of any details of that plan.

Founded in California in 2004 by surfer Nick Woodman (who still owns almost half the company) GoPro has grown to become the most popular portable action camera system on earth, regularly outperforming more higher-end models manufactured by conventional camera makers.

The company sold almost 4 million cameras in 2013 and saw its revenues almost double to just under $1 billion US, the SEC filing shows.

GoPro plans to list on the Nasdaq under the symbol GPRO.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gopro-i ... -1.2647993

PostPosted: May 21st, 2014, 10:38 am 

While GOPro has done an amazing job at promoting their videos on youtube, when you look at consumer tests of the camera I find the SONY Action cam is able to give better visual results and at a slightly lower price point. Trouble is , finding them since Best Buy doesnt carry them and there are fewer and fewer SONY corporate stores.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 1:52 pm 

I've certainly enjoyed many great whitewater videos made with GoPro cameras, but for my camera use, taking stills on easier rivers, GoPro is so far down the list as to be completely outide my consideration.

On a recent trip, I forgot my Canons and their waterproof cases, and for $125 bought a Pentax WG that, while mediocre, easily outpaced the still work I could do with a GoPro.

Must be something about having it on your head rather than in your head.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 2:13 pm 

GoPro could be the next Apple (well a mini version perhaps) or they could be the next Blackberry!

Right now they absolutely dominate their category and I believe the category itself has plenty of growth left.

Problem is, their margins are falling and the competition is really just starting to heat up. It will be a question of whether their brand can withstand attacks from the inevitable flood of low price competitors.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 6:56 pm 

ezwater wrote:
I've certainly enjoyed many great whitewater videos made with GoPro cameras, but for my camera use, taking stills on easier rivers, GoPro is so far down the list as to be completely outide my consideration.

On a recent trip, I forgot my Canons and their waterproof cases, and for $125 bought a Pentax WG that, while mediocre, easily outpaced the still work I could do with a GoPro.

Must be something about having it on your head rather than in your head.

I love my gopro, but I view it as an accessory to my DSLR not a stand alone camera. Helps you get those shots that you would otherwise not want to risk doing. Sucks at getting good stills, although passable results can be had when you take your time with it. Plus the new versions can record in 4K, kind of blows away what my Nikon D7000 can do video resolution wise.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 10:28 pm 

kgd: "Plus the new versions can record in 4K..."

Not clear what you mean. Does the new GoPro record in up to 14k, or 14 megapixels?

My Canon G15 can record 12 megapixels, but I never have it set for that. It takes a big sensor and a great lens to get all the good out of 12 or 14 megapixels. Otherwise it just slows the camera down and chews up memory.

I get great shots from my Canon Elph SD100, which is "only" a 7 megapixel camera. Of course my 12 mp Canon G15 is better, but the Elph in its waterproof case is relatively small and handy, while the G15 case is bulky, even in my big hands.

I think that many "consumer" cameras have way too many megapixels, and that the average user never realizes the camera would perform as well or better, set for a lower resolution.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 10:37 pm 

4k aka Ultra High Definition is an industry ploy to make us all feel inadequate because we onlyhave regular HD.

I will never really be complete until I have one of these....

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN78HU9000FXZA

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2014, 8:44 am 

Recped,

Quote:
It will be a question of whether their brand can withstand attacks from the inevitable flood of low price competitors.

This is happening now with digital cameras, at least at the low end... smartphones with their built-in cameras are said to be outselling single-purpose digicams.

This could happen with GoPro as well if the trend to wearable technology takes off... eg. along the lines of Apple's iGlass, where a multi-purpose device could be worn like sunglasses, providing camera, GPS, satellite phone, wi-fi, image and text display and all the rest, depending on how compact everything can be made.

The next supercool device, don't leave home without it... there'll be millions of smartphones being thrown out.

This sort of thing could be far more acceptable and easier to wear for the average user than a GoPro... OTOH, GoPro's brand strength may be well enough established so that they'll be able to withstand some competition.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2014, 10:02 am 

If a company like Canon or Nikon wanted a piece of the GoPro market, they'd have little trouble getting it.

It's possible they shy away because they know that about a third of the GoPro market are ham-handed yahoos. The point and shoot camera makers already have considerable experience with users of waterproof cameras.

GoPro has been the equivalent of what in whitewater circles we call the "probe boat". More power to them.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2014, 11:00 pm 

ezwater wrote:
If a company like Canon or Nikon wanted a piece of the GoPro market, they'd have little trouble getting it.

It's possible they shy away because they know that about a third of the GoPro market are ham-handed yahoos. The point and shoot camera makers already have considerable experience with users of waterproof cameras.

GoPro has been the equivalent of what in whitewater circles we call the "probe boat". More power to them.

I don't think so. Nikon and Canon are struggling to keep up by keeping a balance between digital and optical. Today its a good compromise, but mirrorless DSLR's will pretty soon surpass our current crop of mainstream DSLRs just like digital to 35mm. I think both N and C are struggling against Sony and Samsung offerings that are pushing technology and they may or may not survive the next decade. I'm a diehard Nikon guy, have been using the same glass since '95, but they (nikon) have made dumb marketing decisions based on short term gains and not long term market share that will hurt them in the end. Even guys invested in their platform start to wonder sometimes.

GoPro brings a unique mix to the table. They are a tad more expensive but not unreasonable for the niche they provide and seem to keep ahead of the cheap action cam curve in their offerings. Hell, every time I use the GoPro I'm pretty impressed. It has its limitations, but it blows 2012 state of the art DSLR video technology out of the water. Granted this is a single prime lens camera optimized for wide angle shots. Lots of video production companies keep cheapo gopro's in their inventory and use them as accessories to the RED and other big name cam's. GoPro ain't just the domain of hamfisted youtubers (even though I fall into that category). There is a bunch of professionals that use them to supplement more traditional footage. That isn't going to change soon. Now, is a company with a RED going to continue using a Cannon or Nikon DSLR for back-up video? Maybe, for the time being, until something else comes along that is cheaper and better. That happens every 2 years. The GoPro has its niche. Its here to stay.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 9:12 am 

Quote:

GoPro might have patents that would prevent competitors from copying their products... unless royalties are going to be paid to GoPro, which would make them even richer. Lawsuits on patent infringement are often in the news with hi-tech manufacturers trying to make lower-cost copies. I'm not sure what patents GoPro actually has, but that may be the thing preventing competitors from crowding into the outdoor action camera market.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 9:50 am 

I can't imagine what might be in a GoPro that isn't also in a number of waterproof cameras, including those made by giants Canon and Nikon. Gaskets, seals, lens control, ruggedization, software, it's already in my Canons.

GoPro has concentrated on a niche market, which has proved to be large. Canon or Nikon or any other waterproof camera maker could bite into that market any time they want to. GoPro is doing exactly what they should to keep control, upgrading specs, features, and user-friendliness. But they don't have any primary patents, only the usual patents on their particular design configuration.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 11:04 am 

Seems there are 42 patents and more coming. Software, chipsets, and who knows what else.

Kodak's patent infringement on Polaroid during the eighties was won by Polaroid with Kodak the big loser, having to buy back all the instant-photo cameras it produced, wasted money spent in R&D and production, advertising, along with paying legal costs and damage settlements. I imagine GoPro would also defend it's turf vigorously if there was infringement.

Quote:
GoPro said in its prospectus it has 42 issued patents and 68 patent applications pending in the U.S., and 15 corresponding issued patents and 12 patent applications pending in foreign countries. Those patents include designs for camera's and software, in addition to physical structures, image processing, operational firmware and other types of software

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12714466 ... llion.html

PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 2:09 pm 

Patents like that are usually just to keep other companies from making exact copies of the camera, its parts, or its software. Canon doesn't need to copy such things, they just work around them. I'll say flatly that GoPro has no truly original, patentable feature on their cameras. GoPros are just another version of a waterproof camera. They don't do anything that other waterproof cameras don't do, and they don't achieve any aspect of performance that hasn't been seen on other waterproofs.

I'm not dissing GoPro. But "Hero" and "GoPro" show where they're coming from. Lots of sizzle, but just an 8 ounce steak.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 3:04 pm 

I recently sold my GoPro camera. It's a great little camera for what it is designed to do - a wide angle action sports video camera. To effectively use this camera, it should be thought of as a supplement to a more versatile camera with interchangeable lenses. Being primarily a still photographer who is used to using a tripod and carefully composing my images, I realized that the GoPro was just an extra piece of gear to lug around, and it gets blown away by the performance of a full-frame DSLR.

If you're into point & shoot video, and want a waterproof camera, there are better performance options out there. I have a Panasonic Lumix - I can zoom in and out, and the image quality is better than on the GoPro. The GoPro's advantage is its ability to attach to just about anything...the side of a canoe, top of a helmet, front of a mountain bike, etc.

If I was into shooting video I definitely would have kept it, but not as a one & only camera. An effective video needs to combine a variety of perspectives, from broad context shots to intimate close-ups, and everything in-between. While vetting paddling films for a recent film festival here in town, my colleague and I used the term "The GoPro Effect" to refer to films that lacked a variety of perspectives and camera angles.

www.mikemonaghan.ca