It is currently September 30th, 2020, 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 5:38 pm 

canoeguitar wrote:
If I was into shooting video I definitely would have kept it, but not as a one & only camera. An effective video needs to combine a variety of perspectives, from broad context shots to intimate close-ups, and everything in-between. While vetting paddling films for a recent film festival here in town, my colleague and I used the term "The GoPro Effect" to refer to films that lacked a variety of perspectives and camera angles.

Agreed. In part this is due to the ultra-wide lens equivalent to an 8 - 10 mm DSLR lens. For a DSLR a lens that wide is usually considered a pretty specialized piece of kit used for architecture and landscapes. Wide angle lenses are best when used up close to pull things into the frame and push the background out. It is for this very reason that it is well suited to an action cam where the camera is mounted up close to the action but has enough reach to show people what is going on outside of the big head in front of it.

The other advantage of a wide angle lens is that they have very high depth of field. Even though the gopro operates at a constant f2.8 most things in frame stay in focus - a great option for point and shoots and lacking an LCD or viewfinder to check your shots, you want everything to be in focus all the time.

At the time I bought my GoPro 3+ I was contemplating buying a Tokina 10-15 mm f2.8 lens for my DSLR. Ultimately I ended up going for the GoPro instead, largely because I began thinking about how many times I almost sent my DSLR to the drink. I'm pretty happy with the results and you can get some cool photo's with it when you take your time with it and consider the wide angle as part of your composition. I'll still eventually get that Tokina for my DSLR, but for now the GoPro lets me work at ultra-wide when I feel the need in photography.

This is a shot from my GoPro this morning of Mayapples in Bloom.

But I fully agree with you. Using the GoPro as your sole camera (photo - really bad) and video (limiting) would be frustrating relative to a camera with zoom capability. But then again, everybody seems to fancy themselves a Bear Grylls these days and they want the action thing going down.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2014, 9:55 am 

Nice pic, KGD... myself, I have no intention of buying GoPro... my main reason for taking a compact camera out on trips is to be able to record when some extraordinary thing appears (just be there to get the shot, photojournalist style).

GoPro seems to be creating a lot of attraction for now and it will be interesting to see how far this very well-run business can progress and how well their stock will do. As I wrote above with Apple iGlass, GoPro sales could be displaced by the next cool device and wearable technology could be it (or not).

Apple, Google, Motorola, and other tech gorillas are starting to make themselves felt here... GoPro also might be getting into this since the founder seems to be a hard charger and most likely won't be sitting around waiting for a wave on his GoPro-enabled surfboard while others are moving forward faster.

Eg. Google Glass, maybe the beginning of a much larger trend... where are we now, Siri?

Quote:
On April 16, 2013, Mountain View corporation Google allowed for those that pre-ordered its wearable glasses at the 2012 Google I/O conference to pick up the device. This day marked the official launch of Google Glass, a device that brings rich text and notifications as well as other information straight to your eyes. The device also has a 5 MP camera and records 720p.[12] Its various functions are activated via voice command. The company also launched the Google Glass companion app, MyGlass, the day before the official launch on April 15.[13] The New York Times's Google Glass App is the first third-party Glass App and it reads articles and news's summaries.It is also the first media app for Google Glass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wearable_technology

PostPosted: June 13th, 2014, 7:08 am 

Amazon opens a wearable tech store, includes wearable cameras, computers and smartwatches.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=9013937011

The featured "Recon Jet"... recon meaning reconnaissance, gathering information.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2014, 8:28 am 

GoPro shares start trading on the public market today IIRC, interesting to see whether all the anticipation and hype actually amounts to anything... some say that GoPro insiders are ready to sell large quatities of stock since they can now get some cash from the shares they bought when ownership was open only to private investors. If they do, share price might drop.

Apple's iWatch being predicted by some tech experts as the next big thing in sports accessories and wearables... some models will include GPS, Wi-Fi and a camera.

Apple will be making both the iWatch and the iPhone 6 available sometime this fall, maybe October. Photography with smartphones has become so popular lately, some photo stores have begun selling them, since there are greater sales and profits to be had with those than with anything else.

Over and out.

Disclosure... I don't have a stake in any of the above except for some interest from a distance. Sort of like seeing Wal-Marts appearing everywhere some time ago.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2014, 10:31 am 

Well... GPRO stock zooms up on it's first day of trading, up 32% right now and still climbing. Not a lot of negative sentiment or selling out there. BUYBUYBUY...

PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 8:04 am 

GoPro stock now up 60%... international buyers piling on, seeing great profits and prospects... back up the truck and buy.

I say theah old boy, that GPRO buy turned out rathah well, wouldn't you say? Fancy a bit more?

YEEHAW! WOOHOO! YER MA BOY, GOPRO! YOU GO, BOY! GO GOPRO!!!

Ah so, GoPro... wu-hu! Me likee! Me buy!

:roll: