It is currently September 30th, 2020, 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 15th, 2014, 1:54 pm 

I was on the water this week teaching the first week of my 2-week field course and we came across this muskellunge swimming with a very large common carp in her mouth. She tried to dive a few times, but I suspect the carp's swim bladder prevented her from doing so. Anyhow, the pics aren't super clear, but one just has to wonder - "what was she thinking???"

Muskellunge are notorious for their size-selective feeding. The rule of thumb, is that they prefer prey items that are 30% of their own body length.

A few more photo's from the trip - without students in them to preserve their privacy.

Mute swan & babies

Painted turtle laying eggs off of sandy shoreline.

Muskellunge captured in our gill net (we train students on gill net sets. All fish captured are donated to graduate students working on their thesis projects and samples of dorsal muscle sent to OMOE as part of their sportfish contaminant monitoring program).

Seining off the Detroit River - Ambassador Bridge in background.

Kayak at sunset. We stay overnight at Peche Island checking gill nets every 4 h to see how species collections (and their gut contents) change over the diurnal cycle. The flag in the background is our gill net marker. Kayaker unknown - just somebody enjoying the Island park.