It is currently September 21st, 2020, 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 10:45 am 

... was being tired of fuzzy moose photo's from my P&S.

We tend to see moose on every trip we take, I get photo's and they are fuzzy due to distances and hand shake. Last year we had a moose walk upriver towards us and I got the usual results despite the best opportunity ever.

I spent my life savings on a Nikon D3100 that came with a 18-55 and 55-200 lens. I bought the Pelican 1450 to house it and my other electronics.

Got the new camera out once last year and never saw a moose on that trip. Did get some really nice photo's in camp and out and about but no moose.

This past Sunday I was out solo and finally brought it to fruition. First moose was in the river along the road as I approached the parking lot. It was gone long before I got to the water with the camera. Second moose I happened upon as I came around a corner, she was standing on shore less than 30 feet away when she spooked out into the river, running upstream, my direction of travel. I did get the camera out but only had the smaller lens on and when I could get a photo she was far enough away to disappoint.

A little further up, past the first portage, I was working my way slowly and heard a disturbance in the water ahead of me. I couldn't see since it was just around a corner but I did manage to see a "rack" through the grass. I let the current float me back away from the moose and quietly got the camera out. I was downwind but I could see it sensed I was there, as it was looking around a bit. I slowly approached again and it stood up and saw me, taking off for the far shore. I managed 3 photo's before he moved into the bush, and even one of those was blurry, but I had seen my first bull moose in the wilds and was armed with appropriate equipment for it.

The picture was shot in RAW format and required a bit of lightening to get features since the sun was directly in his face and he created some dark shadows.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 11:11 am 

:-) Nice shot.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 2:27 pm 

Nice shot!

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 3:57 pm 

now the real fun begins.. More lenses..better lenses.. Lightroom and Photoshop..Photomatix Pro

I have been told over and over again to always have your camera with you. However on the water I almost always resort back to my point and shoot.. Take the pic without full zoom.. The shakies start when I get into digital zoom. So I don't. I can zoom later.. The downside is that my p and s does not take RAW.

But its quick!

Thats a good pic as a young male in velvet is not always at hand!

Did you try to bracket your shots and take three to five? If so you can run them through an HDR (High Dynamic Range) program like Photomatix ( I have the cheap version). While you can make cartoonish images you can also simply use the program to lighten the shadows and darken the light areas. Its quick.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 4:15 pm 

Yes, littleredcanoe, I am also a point-and-shooter, and I still get most of my best stuff from my old Canon Elph SD800 IS. Seven megapixels is usually more than enough. My new Canon G15 has lens speed equal to a DSLR, but I admit that I am not yet extracting all of its performance. Weighs a lot, too, but steadies the old hands.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 4:55 pm 

Nice shot Mihun09 - the first of many to come with the new camera I'm sure.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 5:07 pm 

Thanks everyone, I think the whole experience working up to getting the shot will stay with me awhile. Never prior have I had that much time to get ready for a moose.

YC: I still carry the P&S in the Pelican for rain days or whatnot. More and better lenses? Once I win the lottery. It might take me two years to save enough for a longer zoom lens or better ones at all.

I bought Lightroom 5 shortly after getting the Nikon last year on Mike Monaghans recommendation and although I don't spend near enough time playing with it, I have figured it out enough to play with the lighting to improve good shots like this and even the old P&S photo's.

I didn't have time to bracket, once he saw me he booked for the bank, I was just lucky he stopped to look at me before exiting.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 5:52 pm 

Some people canoe trip to canoe trip.. For others fishing is essential.. for me a camera is my objet d'interet.( no accents on keyboard).

My other fantasy wish is a Canon camera that remembers I want to bracket even if I have turned it off! Otherwise like you I hope for the best and deal with what happens.

I saved for a year for a really good 24-105 lens.. yep the budget does loom. I don't yet have Lightroom. The lens and Lightroom didn't fit in the same year budget. Upgrading from the Rebel line doesn't fit this year either, but as long as I can get better lenses to work with it T1i , I am happy.

Don't mean to hijack. I think your guy is a good candidate for Playboy of the Year.

Should we have another thread re Lightroom? I would like to learn more.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 6:25 pm 

Canoeguitar could likely teach us both a great deal of how to use Lightroom.

For the past 5 years the fishing has been essential and it still is but now I can really try to get back into photography again.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 6:50 pm 

I have a Graphlex. Anyone have a waterproof case for a Graphlex?