It is currently September 30th, 2020, 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Algoma mirage
PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 9:11 pm 

I have always said turn around you might be missing something.
Well this time my wife Anne got me to turn around.
My friend Mike and I just came out from a 5 day base camp up in Agawa Canyon enduring some of the most in-climate weather I have encountered on my fall trip since 85.
We had just finished showering and grabbing a beverage to sit by the fire when the most amazing sunset I have seen there started to unfold. we grabbed our cameras and headed for the beach.
So while I was madly switching lenses and settings my wife told be to turn around and look at something different.

This is the "Normal" view of the water between the Agawa Islands and the mainland.
All images where shot from the same point different days. 2nd one is zoomed in a bit.

Now for the Mirage.

Using google earth and the path feature and drawing a straight line from where I took the images from and it could have been Rowe Island (18 k away or Leach Island even further.

No wonder the First Nations found this area so mystical.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

Post subject: Re: Algoma mirage
PostPosted: October 14th, 2014, 9:24 am 

That is very cool. I have heard of it in the polar regions but not further south and I have never seen a picture. As they say , the more time you spend in the bush , the more spiritual you become.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2014, 9:58 am 

When we lived on the south side of the Connecticut shore we often saw Long Island floating above the water. It took clear dry days. Long Island was 20-25 k out.

sorry as it was common I don't find it spiritual but rather an indication of a good old high pressure area.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2014, 1:11 pm 

I used to see that effect when I was in the Navy years ago and more recently saw it last summer while canoeing along the ocean shoreline in the Far North.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2014, 9:09 pm 

Nice mirage capture there Jeff!
I have found that both in summer on big open lakes, and in winter trekking on big frozen lakes, that the mirages appear in only a very narrow band. Stand up or crouch down and the image can disappear. Many a time I have seen the floating islands on the big lakes of the sub-arctic where you can get that long open distance over water to create the effect. On small lakes there is usually not enough distance to create the effect.

No spirituality for me. The more time I spend in the bush, the more time I spend in the bush,... liking it, learning more and more. The world is more wonderful and awe inspiring for me when the spooks, gods and ghouls are expunged, and instead we appreciate the amazing phenomena of reality – beautiful reality. We humans are very lucky with the brains we have to live an entire existence of discovery of the natural world, and to be able to build sensing tools like cameras, satellites, microscopes, Hubble telescopes, etc to go beyond what our biological senses can sense. We have only begun to explore.... And as a biologist I never cease to be amazed at what we continue to discover what animals can sense (e.g. like earth's magnetic field, seeing in the UV spectrum, etc). that we have no ability for. I do, ahem...however, speak to trees and listen to their life story, and they speak back to me,....so to speak.... :D

One of my favourite Edward Abbey quotes: "Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage"

PostPosted: October 15th, 2014, 9:44 pm 

I have seen this effect quite a few times looking from The shoreline near the Grotto at Cyprus lake....very cool every time we see it!

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: October 15th, 2014, 10:17 pm 

What I find the neatest thing about this is the close proximity to the Agawa Pictographs and how this and other natural phenomena could have affected their spirit quests.
We sat there one morning drinking our coffee on our August trip and watched how the shadows of the clouds made interesting shapes with their shadows on the hills.
I find it interesting to try and put your mind back a few thousands years and travel the paths they did.
We may know the science but in most instances of our canoe trips we don't know the whole journey of those who gave us this great activity.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 5:38 am 

Good point Jeff. Hard, with modern knowledge, to unlearn enough to see through the eyes of those who came before us.....

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 8:40 am 

Here is a neat article that shows that 100 years ago mirages still got people in trouble.

http://www.livescience.com/48952-crocke ... hibit.html

Jeff