It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 19th, 2014, 9:22 am 

I know this must be out there, but I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for.

I want a mapping site where I can attach geo-referenced photos to their locations, where they would appear as an icon. The viewer would click the icon, the photo would come up with a text caption. Ideally the map base would include the options of topo and photo maps.

I think this would be a great way to save my tripping photos, and would double as an interactive trip report.

I know this must exist, but I haven't found it yet. I have tried Panaramio and a few others, but can't get them to do what I want. Any suggestions?

Kinguq

PostPosted: December 19th, 2014, 7:49 pm 

Google earth?

PostPosted: December 19th, 2014, 7:54 pm 

You can do this with Gmap 4 and gpsies . Prepare to spend quite a bit of time figuring it out. Gpsies is more user friendly but no NRCan toporama layer.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 9:03 am 

MartinG wrote:
You can do this with Gmap 4 and gpsies . Prepare to spend quite a bit of time figuring it out. Gpsies is more user friendly but no NRCan toporama layer.

Thanks for the info.

Yes I played with Gmap4 for a while yesterday. Although it will apparently do what I want to do, it certainly has a steep learning curve. First step would seem to be to make photos into .kml files, which I have no idea how to do.

Regards,

Kinguq.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 1:52 pm 

Quote:
First step would seem to be to make photos into .kml files, which I have no idea how to do.

Have you geotaged the images yet? If not I find Picassa is pretty easy to do the geotag part. Within Picassa you can then load Google Earth from which you can save a .kml file to use with Gmap.

At least I think that's the process I have used in the past. No doubt there are dozens of other ways. I have not used Gmap, I've used CalTopo which is a similar type of thing.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 4:46 pm 

recped wrote:
Quote:
First step would seem to be to make photos into .kml files, which I have no idea how to do.

Have you geotaged the images yet? If not I find Picassa is pretty easy to do the geotag part. Within Picassa you can then load Google Earth from which you can save a .kml file to use with Gmap.

The photos are geotagged by my camera if the gps is on. I'll just keep plugging away at it I guess. Thanks,

Kinguq.