It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Photo editor?
PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 9:01 pm 

On my old computer I had a good editing program. I think it was called Microsoft Photo Editor. Then my old computer got fried. I just like to have a program that crops, rotates to any given angle, and allows brightness and contrast adjustments. There must be some good free ones on line. Which one(s) would you recommend?
Thx

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject: Re: Photo editor?
PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 9:46 pm 

I run Windows XP and VISTA on my computers and I use a free photo editing program called IRFANVIEW.

It's got all the basic image editing features like cropping, rotating, various colour and brightness effects, screenshot capture feature, as well as the option to easily reduce an image's file size when required.

You can download it safely and for free at the CNET.COM website as well as read all the specs and user reviews. It was very easy to get used to and I am totally happy with it for all my basic needs.

Here is the link where you can download it:

http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/

Good luck.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2014, 2:29 am 

What Joe said!

Irfanview can actually do a lot of stuff via it's bulk change tools, it's a real old school interface but for the basics it's been the best thing out there for many years.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2014, 8:39 am 

I'm still using Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10 on my old Dell 5500, and I'm fighting to keep the Dell running (7 yrs old) because that MS editor is so user-friendly. It also has a photo splicing function that works on snapshots I took 20 or 30 years ago. But MS no longer supports the program, and it won't run on OS later than XP.

I'd call your attention to the Adobe cloud photo editor being advertised right now. About ten dollars a month, I think, and I do enough editing that the price is acceptable. I tried to buy Photoshop Elements, but Adobe seemed to be morphing it into a cloud resubscription plan also.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2014, 8:39 am 

This one is free, and you don't have to download it.
Does a reasonable job with it's effects and you can have some fun with it.
It is limited as you can only do jpegs and one photo at a time.
I have sent this link to others that don't have access to regular photo programs and is simple to figure out.

http://www.photoshop.com/tools

It can convert to very good B&W

and some of the effects come out real cool.
But I do admit not all work.

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 20th, 2014, 10:24 am 

For a free tool, try Windows Live Photo Gallery:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/photo-gallery

For an awesome, fairly inexpensive tool try Adobe Photoshop Lightroom which you can still get as a real license rather than a subscription.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you'll find the link to buy the 'perpetual' license.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2014, 1:55 pm 

Give this link a whirl

http://alternativeto.net/

It lists alternative similar software.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2014, 4:20 pm 

Thx folks. I gave a couple a brief try.
With Irfan it saves my cropped photo with whatever I tried to cut shown in black??
With photo gallery I don't see how to save the edited pic.

(Not the most computer literate guy in the world :doh: )

PostPosted: November 20th, 2014, 5:33 pm 

Picasa works for me.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 12:19 pm 

Someone who does editing in her work, suggested GIMP, but I'm not yet familiar with it. It's free, and you could google to find a download source.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 3:09 pm 

I just downloaded GIMP and had a look. It probably does a lot but seems overly complex for someone like me who just needs/wants a few features.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 10:52 pm 

wotrock wrote:
With Irfan it saves my cropped photo with whatever I tried to cut shown in black??
With photo gallery I don't see how to save the edited pic.

(Not the most computer literate guy in the world :doh: )

No, it just saves the image that remains.

Gimp et al are all nice programs but really overly complex for basic cropping, resizing, renaming work, I've never found anything better than Irfan for this type of stuff.

One other program you might also want to look at down the road, is an exif data editor, primarily used to change time stamps should you run into the often common situation of having your camera not correctly set. Although It's not a huge deal if the time stamps are off by a bit for some purposes your next step now that you have GPS tracks is to geo-tag your images (there are a few utilities to do this), for this you need your image times to exactly sync with your GPS track so the the location information is correct.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 11:12 am 

Though I'm not a skilled photo editor, I guess I use many more features than just rotating and cropping. My old "Digital Image" has the extras. I've been able to pick crap off old scanned slides and correct effects of age on tint and contrast. I'm able to partially correct the tendency of my Canons to over-expose light areas. It would be better if I could convince the cameras to expose properly, but it's nice to have a photo editor that can sometimes correct the problem.

Occasionally it's even useful to have software that can sharpen fuzzy detail, though you should be very conservative about using it if you have it.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 7:20 pm 

wotrock wrote:

To CROP a photo using IRFANVIEW, just hold down the left mouse button to 'box in' the selected area of the image that you want to keep, then release the left mouse button.

Now go and left click the EDIT tab at the top of the page.

Scroll down to the CROP SELECTION option and left click that.

This should delete everything in the photo that was outside of your selection box, and expand the part that was inside the box to full original image size.

Now click on the FILE tab in the top left and select the SAVE AS... option. This lets you save the new cropped image under a different file name so that you still have a copy of the original uncropped image file as well.

It sounds like you were accidentally using the CUT SELECTION option before which, as you can tell, has somewhat different results.

Good luck Wotrock, hope that helps.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 5:52 pm 

Thx folks. I have tried Picasa and it seems to work well for what I want to do. Gimp is too complicated for my simple tasks. I might give Irfan another whirl just for S and G.