It is currently November 17th, 2019, 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 10:38 am 

Well our TV was dying and was considered quite old compared to todays modern ones.

So we bought a new "smart" tv 58 " :o

I have seen the future.... and it is very pretty and eye catching.
With this unit I can watch utube on it and see my channels "BIG"
And boy seeing my pics in super high def.... wow!

We will have to buy a little usb type key and I will be able to use my computer and internet through the big screen meaning I will be able to see trip reports and slide shows from my albums all big.

The down side is there will be even less of a demand for printed images. :cry:

But it is a bonus for those wanting "too much information" They will be able to see exactly in almost real size where they are going and whether it is suitable for their tripping style.

I really do love the big pics, turn the lights down have a beverage and you are there.

For those that have old printed photos all you have to do is take a "new" digital image of your pic from an old trip upload it to a site.
On youtube they have a simple slide show and movie maker where you can add royalty free music. Some of it is not that bad..... some is welll.... 8)

https://www.youtube.com/editor

This was made with the youtube slideshow.

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 8:01 pm 

I might be upgrading myself along the same lines so please keep us posted on the developments... seeing photos larger and combined with music sure adds something and is most enjoyable... turned up the volume.

I didn't know youtube had that slide show + music feature... gotta try it.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 9:05 pm 

Less of a demand for printed images? You haven't been to my local camera store. Yes there is such a thing. Even have film..

And the lines of people waiting for printing are insane. They do a great 11x14 for 8 bucks. There is nothing like a print to bring yourself into the photo. Videos just don't do it for me.

OTOH armchair travelers who don't want to leave their chairs appreciate the big screen

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 10:55 am 

Rather than buy a new TV, I just bought an Android box for $120 that plugs into an HDMI port. It uses the latest Android operating system so it basically turns your TV into a smart phone screen with some 900,000 downloadable apps (of which I downloaded and use 8. :) ) It can pretty well use any browser and any audio and video app. It's hooked up to my home network and the Internet. It has a couple of usb ports which I use for a remote keyboard and the other for any usb sticks that I want. Also has a micro-SD card slot. Although I can sync it to my gmail email and gmail calendar, I don't. I really like using it with Skype so the whole family can interact rather than crowding around my pc monitor.
And, no, this is not an add. I started out with a black and white TV with rabbit ears. So it's just like living in the future.

Ted

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 11:44 am 

Littleredcanoe said:
Quote:
And the lines of people waiting for printing are insane. They do a great 11x14 for 8 bucks

I agree there on those, I am referring to larger fine art prints like canvas wraps and so on.

With our now gone tv dying, it was a 37in, we went looking and the difference between the 50in and the 58in was 10 bucks.

I have looked at some of the youtube trip reports and some kayaking vids and Wow!
If you think they look good on your pc or lap top some of it is just amazing.

But us mac users will have to buy special stuff because that is the way Apple wants it.... :-?
But I can do it on the inexpensive (cheap 8) ) like Ted and hook it directly to the tv and use the remote keyboard.
I can use an usb key and watch my slide show right now and it should help work out the kinks in the presentation and what I am trying to show.

Something else for us budding trip writers to remember some pics/video scenes do not work so well and others have a great wow factor. It will speed up the learning curve for making your reports/shows.
Another bonus and added with skype you could do a presentation without being there much easier and that should open some new doors for groups or individuals trying to attract people to say the Wabakinni project, Harlan and his Red Lake Outfitters, Temagami - Ottertooth to name a few.
Doing your presentation with out the cost to either group or individual.
Actually it is pretty exciting.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 12:15 pm 

Kind of like in still photography you need everything in tack focus. Or else your audience will barf.

Some I'd like to blow up to 20 x36 but at 11x14 I can see the fuzz factor.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 9:33 pm 

I forgot something my son and his room mates do and a few of their friends also do.
They have by-passed the typical cable/satellite fees and hook up their lap tops to projectors, good quality, large pics and anything they can stream through the internet. Definitely not the wow factor of these smart tvs but can still already see our trip reports in big time. My son and his friend even planned a trip this way.
Jeff

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 8:42 am 

Jeffi, you should have gotten a 3D TV and you Could be there!

I honestly don't see a difference between the picture quality on my 5 year old 32" LCD TV and the new extra super dooper high definition or 4K TV's they are hawking now. Could just be old eyes though.

Christine is thinking of upgrading our present set to something bigger, but that wouldn't be until this one fails and since we cancelled the cable over 2 years ago, it doesn't get used much. After reading Jeffi's initial post I went looking at prices and I could get a 58" Samsung Smart LED TV for less than I paid for my present 32" Samsung LCD TV.

I have a photo printer at home which I do 4x6 prints on and hope to continue to do so as long as the toner and paper is available. The downside of the modern DSLR technology, aside from needing a $5000 camera to get the same image quality as shooting slide film for enlargements, is, the storage media is prone to failure. Be it SD cards, hard drives, Discs, or whatever, they each in turn will fail at some point and ALL the photo's taken in this age will potentially be gone forever. Even photo websites use hardware to store the images.

In the future, will there be photographs from this era for historians and archaeologists to ponder over if we don't continue to print images?

Personally I will continue to write TR and post photo's. I just prefer reading to watching.

Karin

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 8:52 am 

LRC, you don't enjoy vids? From your comment earlier on...

Quote:
Videos just don't do it for me.

Meh?

OTOH your comment on BeaV's vids, the 5000 mile BC-Alaska TR...

Quote:
I am already exhausted and only on Chapter Six over the Chilkoot Pass. With huge amounts of snow. 165 miles of portaging kind of makes the trips most of us do seem walks in the park.

The scenery and the wildlife views are outstanding.... I hope you enjoy the segments as much as I am!

Jest kidding... I'm watching these every day, much better than the garbage being shown on TV. Maybe people here could rec other vids because after this, there will definitely be something missing.

Old saying... once you get to spend some time in Paree, you shure don't want to return to Hogtown.

:wink:

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 9:07 am 

I'm more into still photography to envision me in a setting.

The videos are something I do to watch what someone else has done. The allure is that I will never do such a trip

Videos are a godsend to pass the six hours needed each session in the chemotherapy chair.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 9:13 am 

Sorry to hear about the medical problems KIm, I'm due for some surgery myself. Best wishes for us all in the New Year, restored health and happiness.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 10:57 am 

Jeff, great video. I have read your threads, espeically on the Agawa, and this video has confirmed that I must do a fall trip down the canyon spending lots of time to explore and just plain bask in the ambience.

Rick

[i]Rick[/i] discoverpaddling.ca

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 8:08 pm 

Best wishes to you Littleredcanoe!
I to still prefer the still, and sitting there waiting for "the moment"
(without photoshop of course :wink: )
I will still prefer slide shows because that it the best way to show what I waited hours for and sometimes years going back.
The chances to see all those special things on one trip with a movie are very low.
And like anything else we each have something that catches our souls on the river.
Jeff

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 8:24 pm 

Well I have been journaling on Facebook and embrace Photoshop. If Ansel Adams could be here today he would too. And probably not regret hours he had to spend in the lab with nasty chemicals trying for the effect he wanted.

I will unabashedly tweak to convey a message if need be.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 8:33 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Well I have been journaling on Facebook and embrace Photoshop. If Ansel Adams could be here today he would too. And probably not regret hours he had to spend in the lab with nasty chemicals trying for the effect he wanted.

I will unabashedly tweak to convey a message if need be.

I think it is more a matter of making the photo more like what we see. I know I get a lot of shadow where there was more light but I'm not going to fiddle with exposure while waiting for the right shot, I can fix that in Lightroom.