It is currently August 17th, 2019, 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 11:28 am 

For several years I have used Photobucket to provide third party image hosting for pictures I post on various forums. In other words, when I wanted a picture to appear in a posting, I uploaded the picture to Photobucket, and then inserted Photobucket's IMG code for that picture into the posting. When the posting is viewed, the picture appears where the IMG code is located.

Today I went to respond to a thread I had posted earlier, and discovered that instead of a picture, my prior posting contained a notice from Facebook stating "Please update your account to enable third party hosting." I went to Photobucket, and discovered that as of June 29, unless you pay $399.99 per year, you don't get third party image hosting from Photobucket. WTF!!! I am definitely not going to pay that kind of money for third party image hosting. This means that all of the posts which I have made over the years no longer contain pictures, and in order to post pictures in the future, I need to find a new webpage which provides third party image hosting.

Can you recommend any photo webpages which provide free third party image hosting?

PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 12:39 pm 

And it makes a fine mess of the websites that we have shared pictures on.. I too would like to hear of a reasonably priced photo hosting service ( ad free) that will not vape into a cloud in a couple of years

Meanwhile an external hard drive is your best photo friend.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 2:07 pm 

Until March of this year I used Dropbox as my host for images I have posted here on myccr and elsewhere. When Dropbox decided to end the service at the end of March I spent a day or two going though all my forum posts and giving the images I had used a new url - and I picked Photobucket as my new host!

pmmpete, you mention that this happened yesterday - June 29. I took a look at one of my myccr posts and the half-dozen images still appear -

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... +christmas

I am left wondering why the images are still showing!

In the same thread Algonquintripper's images are also hosted by Photobucket and they too are still showing. sk8r's image has a flickr url. Maybe that will be the next one to try!

PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 3:32 pm 

true_north wrote:
Until March of this year I used Dropbox as my host for images I have posted here on myccr and elsewhere. When Dropbox decided to end the service at the end of March I spent a day or two going though all my forum posts and giving the images I had used a new url - and I picked Photobucket as my new host!

pmmpete, you mention that this happened yesterday - June 29. I took a look at one of my myccr posts and the half-dozen images still appear -

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... +christmas

I am left wondering why the images are still showing!

In the same thread Algonquintripper's images are also hosted by Photobucket and they too are still showing. sk8r's image has a flickr url. Maybe that will be the next one to try!

Huh. I don't know why the pictures on your posts which have Photobucket links are still appearing. Here is a link to a random post I made which used Photobucket for third party image hosting: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/in ... ic=13913.0 . When I view this post, instead of pictures, I see a notice saying "Please update your account to enable third party hosting." Take a look at that posting and let me know if you see pictures, that notice, or nothing.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 5:58 pm 

Their site still shows 2GB free but the link in place of your images says that the 2GB free is not for third party hosting like we do here on the forums.

I wonder if they flag users with a certain amount a views. Which would mean you're more popular than me, my Photobucket photos are still showing in my trip reports.

They generate their revenue from ads (mostly for their own products) so hosted photos here don't give them revenue.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 9:39 pm 

I used to use Picasa, but switched to Piwigo which I really like. Costs me 40 USD a year which is well worth it for the simplicity and ease of use. It is an open source photo hosting service but you have to pay for the server space. My two cents.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2017, 3:36 am 

I had the same thing happen to a couple of pictures I posted in the Beckwith Cabin thread that showed the same image,
just took a look and those pics are appearing again. But others, posted both here and other sites are gone.
$399.99 a year is a more than a little steep, thinking Photobucket may have been hacked.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2017, 7:33 am 

Rob H - I saw your response to the Beckwith Cabins thread on the 29th - the date the free Photobucket hosting service apparently ended - and noticed the "update your account..." message but did not yet understand the reason.

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 4&start=30

When I click on the message I do get to see the images - but only after I disable my ad blocker apps!

Weird how some photobucket images are no longer visible but others still are!

Re: the beach. We definitely paddled up to the beach and walked up to the site. You mention a sandy beach in your comment up above. That may be it!

PostPosted: July 1st, 2017, 9:44 am 

All my trip reports are trashed. It's a sad day, I've used photobucket exclusively, I'll never be able to reconstruct all those reports.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2017, 10:01 am 

RHaslam, I just checked out one of your many photo-rich posts, your Steel River map set. It is absolutely a valuable resource - and as you write, the various pages do not appear. Damn!

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photo ... e-internet

However, when I click on the "Please Update Your Account..." square I do end up seeing the image.

First Dropbox in March of this year - and now Photobucket. Who is next to go?

I wonder if there is there a way to use myccr as an image host to ensure that the photos and maps embedded in the various threads remain visible?

PostPosted: July 1st, 2017, 10:00 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

true_north wrote:
RHaslam, I just checked out one of your many photo-rich posts, your Steel River map set. It is absolutely a valuable resource - and as you write, the various pages do not appear. Damn!

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photo ... e-internet

However, when I click on the "Please Update Your Account..." square I do end up seeing the image.

First Dropbox in March of this year - and now Photobucket. Who is next to go?

I wonder if there is there a way to use myccr as an image host to ensure that the photos and maps embedded in the various threads remain visible?

If anybody has access to the photos that they uploaded to Photobucket, Dropbox etc. & wants to re- upload them to myccr.com, then please contact me at admin@myccr.com for Registration to the CCR Gallery. I realize it is a lot of work, but it would be a huge shame to not have all those wonderful images in your posts & trip reports. I have written a bit more about this subject here: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 50#p418850

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2017, 8:26 am 

I just tried to use the gallery in a post but got an error message stating
"it was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image"

I just used the url from the gallery inside img tags
Any suggestions?

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2017, 10:29 am 

I'm no computer wiz! But give the interweb some time and they will figure a way around this issue.
In a few weeks I'm sure we will see browser add-ons that trick the image into thinking its loading on a photobucket page when it isn't.

but if such a add-on ever does exist or they ever go back to they way it was, i would still recommend everybody to move on from photobucket to another service provider and boycott these guys for trying this shady crap.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 8:30 pm 

I have used Flickr for a while but never the linking feature you folks are trying to use. I'm generally pleased with Flickr, though

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 8:49 pm 

I used photobucket yesterday with no problems at all. Well, other then being the slowest hosting website I have experienced. I never was prompted to pay a thing, may have been a hack. That website is very buggy.