It is currently March 18th, 2024, 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 12:03 pm 

Mike McCrea wrote:
martin2007 wrote:
No, MM, seriously!! A pipe! You were out on a canoe trip smokin'a pipe! I can't even remember the last time I saw a guy doing the pipe-smoker thang.

One of my current companions is a pipe smoker, and my early tripping companion was as well.

ImageEK_0009 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Lotta nights around the campfire with that guy in my teens and 20’s.

ImageEK_0012 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

He mixed his own, an Abbey-esque homage blend of Bull Durham for bulk and Sir Walter Raleigh for aromatic taste.

http://josephcrusejohnson.blogspot.com/ ... abbey.html

Not just any pipe, but usually a corn cob pipe. I have lost a $$$ pipe in a capsize, maybe the most expensive piece of gear I’ve ever lost. BTW, do not use a corn cob pipe if it is excessively windy; I had one “Ow, ow, ow, why is my hand so hot?” burn through in bellows-like high winds.

Although not as much pipe smoking anymore; pipe tobacco is becoming harder and harder to find. Every convenience store sells cigarettes, not so much anymore with mild Burly & Bright.

My father smoked Beaver Plug tobacco---chipped off little pieces with his pocket knife. I, m surprised I could not fins a pic online

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 3:54 pm 

Lost a spare paddle in windy weather, couldn't find it in the waves. Losing patience, blowing sideways and getting hungry we abandoned the search and headed to shore for lunch and to wait out the wind. Much later in the day, still windy, we actually bumped into that very same paddle. 30 seconds either way we probably wouldn't even have seen it, much less hit it with the canoe.

Not that remarkable to lose or find a paddle, but doing both several hours apart with the same paddle on big water in waves! It's still one of our "Do you guys remember when..." stories.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2021, 8:06 pm 

I know this is not the intent of this thread, but I dropped the leather belt sheath from my Schrade Uncle Henry while getting changed before vacating HHWT site #35 on Clear Lake on Labour Day Monday if anyone comes
across it

PostPosted: September 7th, 2021, 11:33 pm 

Lost: My temper, frequently. My pride, occasionally. A few hats and a few fishing poles. On shuttles, three transmissions. Once left a pfd knife on the river bank after slicing tomatoes for lunch - hate guys that demand veggies with their sandwiches. In the Big Broadback Dump, the tally came to just over $2000 to replace what I lost - kitchen bag, 2 custom paddles, InReach, various odds and ends. That does not include the hospital bill from the embolism that followed.

Found: Friendships to last a lifetime. The answer to life, the universe, and everything. A few paddles and tent pegs. A fairly new sleeping bag in its stuff sack swept under a strainer. Peace and quiet. Sanity.

Thankfully, I've never run out of tobacco or booze (or there's always been someone who had enough to see us through.)

Someone said something about bodies on the Harricanna....? Where's the follow up to that one?

PostPosted: September 9th, 2021, 3:06 pm 

I left my Birkenstocks on West Fox island in Georgian Bay earlier this year. They were still fine, but coming due for replacement so not worth the 3-4 hour paddle to retrieve them by the time I realized what I'd done. Oh well. Hopefully they were found by the next group and didn't just end up as litter rotting in the Bay.

Nothing found over the years beyond odds and ends left at sites like axes, nails, garbage, etc.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2021, 5:35 pm 

Found a small kids' tent, left on the side of a backpacking trail in Algonquin. Early this spring I lost it in a river due to sudden blowing wind. Here is the trip: https://youtu.be/zG85Llu5TIU

Found a headlamp which I am still using after 10 years.

Lost my only shoes while on a canoe trip in Quetico this summer: https://youtu.be/DrikrK-JuTY .
Found out I can survive without them quite well.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2021, 9:06 pm 

Found: a pair of prescription glasses at a site on North Tea Lake in 1998.

Lost: a screw from my glasses at the same site on North Tea. A screw from the found glasses repaired my glasses.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2021, 10:30 am 

Lost: Nothing so far (knock on wood)

Best finds: -2 fishing rods on portages
-A sven saw
-An old pull saw

Gotta love finding some good trail swag left behind by careless campers

PostPosted: September 18th, 2021, 3:59 pm 

Found an inexpensive camera at a site on Cross Lake in Temagami in 1990.
Developed the film and found so, so pictures, but no people pictures.

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken
You can never have too much education-me

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2021, 2:57 pm 

Thinking further about lost and founds I’ve come across, lots of non-paddler other boater or floater stuff, especially on river trips after flood waters.

On my local tuber-popular home river a lot truck and tractor inner-tubes and other floaties. We accumulated enough for my sons to take their friends tubing. Still have a few.

On that same tuber river too many cans of floating Bud or Coors Lite, should I ever become that desperate.

On larger rivers a number of trashed, swept-from-the- dock power boats, and at least two of those silly pedal stern-paddle-wheeler boats, one of which I nearly opted to try to rescue from a strainer pin. I was less enthusiastic when I realized what it actually was.

I’m trying to think what the oddest object was. Most visually memorable was a screen intact TV set, wedged perfectly in the forks of a tree 15 feet in the air. I have a photo of that somewhere; we waited enthralled, but nothing worth watching ever came on, a commentary on modern society.

Huge patch of mature homegrown. The cultivators showed up while we were respectfully admiring at a distance. They were quite friendly, and quite generous.

The most mysterious was a small busted-open strongbox on the riverbank, miles downstream of any bridge crossing.

I gotta think more on the weird found stuff. There was that stainless steel coin-op tampon dispensing machine that I so wanted to haul home as a peculiar shop storage cabinet.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2021, 6:23 pm 

I haven't lost a bunch of stuff, but one thing in particular was pretty significant - my custom-made wedding ring is somewhere in Haida Gwaii, presumably in the intertidal zone somewhere near 52° 39' 59.0" N, 131° 40' 03.0" W.

I was hanging our drybags of food in the tree and trying to haul the whole heavy mess upward. I was looking up and (likely) stumbling around while heaving on the rope. I tripped, the rope slid through my hand and I sustained a rope burn on my fingers. Expecting eventual swelling, I removed my wedding ring before it got stuck. Thus, it was on a different finger and did not fit so snuggly there. At some point later I realized it was missing. Unbeknownst to me, it fell off, perhaps simply falling off somewhere in the rainforest, or perhaps it went with the crab trap I threw out into the ocean to catch something to go with supper. I spent hours searching the intertidal zone and areas I thought it might have fallen. At dusk/dark, I searched again with headlamp hoping the metal might glint in the light. Of course it was futile and the ring is presumably still out there somewhere.

p.s. Saying grills left behind at campsites are a found item is a bit like saying you found a rock fire ring. They're ubiquitous at well-used sites; at least they are where I trip.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2021, 7:41 pm 

david demello wrote:
Back in the 70s on a trip down the Harricanaw River Ben Bowditch and I found 2 bodies floating in the river.

WHAT??? :o

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2021, 8:58 pm 

Just posting to vent a little!

Last week my wife and I decided to go out for a quick paddle on the well-cottaged lake just a stone's throw down the road from us. There's a side street off the main road, and at the end of the side street is a little water front parkette that you can launche a canoe from. It is definitely not a popular or much used parkette.

We had a great paddle and then loaded up. I often launch from here for quick trips on my lunch hour or whatever, and usuaully u just walk my canoe down on a cart I made with a pair of old bike tires. My paddle lashes to the canoe just fine for this. But on this day I had discovered the cart had a blown tire, and so we had quickly thrown the canoe on top of the car. The point there is that my usual routine was disrupted, which is probably why I forgot both paddles on the shore when we drove away!

I didnt notice till a couple days later, and since this was a out of the way parkette in a sparsely populated rural area, yes, I honestly thought they'd probably still be there. Wrong of course!

I am tempted to go back and post a passive aggressive sign that says something like

"To the person who took the paddles that were here. No, despite what you probably thought, those were not magically appearing 'free' paddles left just for you by the paddle fairy! They were mine, I simply forgot them, and I came back for them. And they would have still been there waiting for me to, had you not decided that you were specially entitled to property that you damn well knew wasnt yours! Good job trading your integrity for a few dollars in canoe paddles!"

PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 8:08 pm 

that sucks, sorry to hear that, what kind of paddles were they?
if i were in that situation and found a paddle, and if it was a nice paddle, i'd probably take it, as long as i could post a sign that would be seen by the returning owner, stating how to contact me.
i'd take it because who doesn't want a nice paddle? might as well be me instead of the next guy, who easily could take the paddle, and without posting a sign,
the chance is higher that someone would take the paddle than take down my sign. if that was reversed i would leave the paddle.

EDIT:
moral of story, go back, you might see a sign.