It is currently September 24th, 2020, 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 6th, 2005, 7:19 pm 

I love this site ! Recently, I got to thinking about all the cool stuff I've learned about in the last couple of years, just by asking questions. So I thought that a thread that has both the questions, and the answers that you received, might be a good idea.

For example:

Question:
Quote:
Okay, let's say three guys, 5 days, hot weather, French River water.

How much pristine would you take?? ( assuming you use it....... if you have a problem with using it, I don't need to hear that right now, I read the other threads )

Thanks for the input !

Answer: Flyrod

Quote:
I think the ratio is something like 5mL pristine:1L water.
5 guys * 3 days * 4L water/guy/day = 60 L water.

Sound right?
1 fresh kit should do you just fine.

Thread: http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... highlight=

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2005, 9:02 pm 

I've learned you have to be REAL careful about getting into a debate about your personal religious beliefs without investing in some bulletproof underwear......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd include the applicable replies but then this post would be in the top 10.... :lol:

Great topic though Watersong there is so much great info in these threads that you could take years sifting gems from the posts.

Post subject: learning
PostPosted: September 6th, 2005, 9:21 pm 

I've learned
that everyone has something to
bring to this . . .
this PARTY -
be they into the nuts and bolts and stuff of canoeing
be they the photographers and storytellers of their journeys
makers of boats and paddles and granola coffee cake (yum)
why, there are even some philosophical musings offered up
about what it may all mean in the scheme of things

but what is most interesting to us,
is that this medium gives a voice
to many who would have just sat quietly at home before,
but now,
they are engaged in discourse, discussion, debate
and we continue to learn
listening to
and thinking about
each other
in this community.
:)

Post subject: Re: learning
PostPosted: September 6th, 2005, 11:00 pm 

siren1 wrote:
but what is most interesting to us,
is that this medium gives a voice
to many who would have just sat quietly at home before,
but now,
they are engaged in discourse, discussion, debate
and we continue to learn
listening to
and thinking about
each other
in this community.
:)

And the best part IS that I engage in the discourse, discussion and debate WHILE just sitting quietly at home! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2005, 2:51 am 

I started back into canoeing about 4 years ago. This site has been a wealth of information like:
Tips on how to build my cedar strip canoe
How to use my GPS
Tips on drying food
And on and on

The biggest benefit has been the Gatherings that I have attended. Every person that I have met truly feels like a friend. What more could a person ask for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2005, 6:59 am 

This is a great site with lots of great info. But I would have to say freezing beer in cans has to have been the best tip (I have 4 in the freezer now, and I leave tomorrow, so I will see how this works).

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2005, 8:20 am 

lets see,
I met Lightjay through this site who introduced me to the Ottawa Y from which we've made some very close friends and paddling buddies.

I met Jim who I did a trip on the Pet with and in turn met a few members of the WCA (we had joined just for the Nastawgan) and now those friends are regular canoe buddies and very good friends
I could go on and on about who we chatted with here and then bumped into on the trail or river Gord, Don, Karen, Elke, Crasy Al etc etc

I've had trip planning made a heck of alot easier thanks to Bob Woods and Erhard Blair's site and the info for the Bloodvein trip 100% MYCCR and it's network of truely helpful members (heck, I get the skinny on Joven's (Hoz) trips because sooner or later I'm following him)
I could spend the whole day outlining how Myccr has positively influneced our paddling ciricle and increased our ability to reach out....
Thanks Richard

ok, specific items....I now know what to do with pumpkins and how to make my outback baking better (thanks Wild)
and you REALLY need to read what you write BEFORE you hit the submit button :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2005, 9:13 am 

I've learned much about discussing topics reasonably. Honest! I have!

I've learned about refining my tripping skills, lessenning my impact on the environment. Expanding these lessons from camping to home life.

I've learned that campers are a bunch of left-wing hippies at heart. Even the most right-wing of us have strong liberal leanings. Bunch of bleeding hearts!

Post subject: MYCCR
PostPosted: September 7th, 2005, 9:46 am 

I check in several times a day. Always something to learn here. Routes , shuttles, outfitters. Usually if you want to paddle a certain river or lake route in Canada someone on this board has been there. Most all are willing to share information. (I say most all because once a fellow wanted to sell his trip logs!)

Though we have never met, I feel many on this board are long distance friends. Paddlin Peppermint Patty (Cheryl) shared the Canadian Rivers series. Erhard Kraus has been invaluable with information for the Spanish River and Canadian ecological concerns. Mo Baxter was a fantastic resource for the Bloodvein and area. Gail R and I have had many pleasant discussions and ribbing on and offboard. Rolf Kraiker is one who has paddled far and wide. I always read his posts. Wapoose and I met on the Bloodvein and spent several days paddling together. I built and am paddling one of John Winters canoe designs. We lucked out when he started posting here. When he speaks canoe, I listen.

Lets not forget the US contingent; Kim, Bonelli and Jerry R, Pknoerr (one day someone has to point out a canoe is paddled facing the pointy ends :-)

The combined experience and diversity of this board is fantastic.

Kindred spirits all.

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2005, 10:49 am 

For me it isn't so much the things I've learned, even though I have picked up some good ideas, but it's the people I've come to know.

It started out for me when Scott and Kathy Warner were doing the 60 day trip in WCPP and we were able to make arrangements to meet and share a camp for two nights. That started it and now they have become good friends, along with Albert and Kelly Rogolinski, Chuck Kimmerle, Barry "Boneli", Kevin Callan, Hap Wilson, Becky Mason, Rita, and a host of other people that make my days better. I hate to talk on the telephone and this medium, is much better suited to me. I gives me an opportunity to get into a lot of discussions that I might not have the chance to take part in if it wasn't for this site. From serious political and religous discussion to the silly ones too, it is a great outlet. Most everyone is respectful, and caring. Those are qualities that I like in my friends. :clap:

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2005, 5:36 pm 

Quote:
(I say most all because once a fellow wanted to sell his trip logs!)

I suppose that was Kevin Callan or Hap Wilson?

Ben