It is currently July 27th, 2021, 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 4:35 pm 

Tonight on CBC the National, a story that the outdoor communities have a big interest in.
There has been a lot of discussion on access on many social media pages.
This is a good follow up to many of those posts.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5987099

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 6:14 pm 

Europe seems lightyears ahead of North America when it comes to accessing public lands.

Maybe it's time for Canada to embrace "right to roam" legislation similar to European countries.

I've walked more than a handful of trails because of the right to roam rules. Compared to Canada, the UK has a vast network of walking trails that have benefited from the right to roam.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2021, 8:01 am 

I was hoping for a little "deeper" story but it is good that it is now out there and outdoor enthusiasts much more aware how the right to access really works in Canada.
Hopefully we will get a lot more people involved in enacting changes.
We have come through a long period where people did not even want to hear about "political" issues in respect our outdoor activities.
Because the various laws/rules are such a mix, it really is a maze to get through them and it really clouds of what is and what isn't allowed.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2021, 9:05 am 

Paddle Power wrote:
Europe seems lightyears ahead of North America when it comes to accessing public lands.

Maybe it's time for Canada to embrace "right to roam" legislation similar to European countries.

I've walked more than a handful of trails because of the right to roam rules. Compared to Canada, the UK has a vast network of walking trails that have benefited from the right to roam.

Quite true for walking. Not at all true for paddling.. River use and access points are a thorny affair in the UK

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2021, 9:24 am 

I know this is an issue out east as well. I think specifically with the Restigouche River, and I'm sure there are more. Irving owns the gates to access in a lot of area's and you need to seek permission to have them unlocked.

New Brunswick is still in the practice of selling/auctioning off riparian rights to rivers as well.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2021, 10:11 am 

It's an interesting case. I know the canoe club in Vancouver has been monitoring it and has contributed the cause.

Never mind private land - in my neighbourhood there is public land along the river that is literally disguised from public view/use. The city has a white picket fence that's made to match the neighbouring private homes! I've got some canoe wheels, and new solo boat, and I'm intending to make good use of the public lot!

P.