It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 6:33 pm 

Renogami, not sure of the year, but it could have been then. It was partially inflated when we found it, but went flat over time. Not sure how you tell if a sex doll is in "pretty good condition" LOL.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 7:27 pm 

kinguq wrote:
Renogami, not sure of the year, but it could have been then. It was partially inflated when we found it, but went flat over time. Not sure how you tell if a sex doll is in "pretty good condition" LOL.

when i read your post i had a sudden flash but at the same time so faint memory of blow up doll in temag. if that's when you found it then i am sure my memory is right and that it was a trip camp goofing around with a false paddler type thing lol

"blow up doll in pretty good condition?" lol

hey that's mine, where'd you find it????
:rofl:

PostPosted: August 25th, 2021, 12:29 pm 

Fellow Adventurers,
A member of our party lost a baseball cap with Richie Havens' autograph when it blew off while crossing Buzzard Lake a few years ago.
I may be dating myself by assuming that everybody knows who Richie Havens is (hint: not a baseball player).
- JF -

PostPosted: August 25th, 2021, 2:21 pm 

kinguq wrote:
Most intriguing found: Full-sized inflatable female sex doll, on Cross Lake, Temagami.

Not mine, she stays behind in the bed of the tripping truck; it takes too long to inflate her in camp.

ImagePA272345 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Seems other paddlers have found a lot of useful stuff, and lost some as well.

Found – Weirdest things, on a river trip in South Carolina, an empty fire extinguisher (?) and, at the same site, a nice office chair. I carried both out; the canoe was gear full, so the chair was perched atop the dry bags like Granny’s rocker on the Clampetts ’46 Olds Roadster (George Barris was a genius). A friend still uses that office chair at his desk.

Mostly though, cheap bent wire tent stakes, often excessively bent from misuse. And rope or line, usually crappy stuff or parachute cord. And rusty fire grates, more than I could count; I have a Purcell Trench grill, so always left those where found in case they were future useful to someone. I’ll garbage haul bent stakes or shitty rope, not an accumulation of shitty grills.

A few years ago not one but two of those folding wire fish grills, both hung on a stubby branch, both seemingly new/unused, both still there when I left. Paddles folks left behind at the take out several times. Also left in hopes the owners realized their mistake and came back. Eh, if there had been a nice carbon bent shaft I might have struggled with my ethos.

Only one usable paddle (lots of busted ones) while on the water, found at the run out eddy below the last drop on a WW run. We asked a group of passing paddlers if they had lost a paddle, one said he had. I held up the paddle and the guy said “Thanks” and took it. He paddled 50 yards downstream in the flats, turned around and paddled back and said “I did lose a paddle, but have to be honest, this isn’t it”. Cheap Mohawk, I told him to keep it.

Lost – Not much either. A few tent pegs, good ones, before I became more anal strategic about keeping them together while setting up/taking down. One high quality length of line, remembered only when we made the next camp.

Most dearly missed, found and lost, a gold rimmed pilsner glass and monogrammed sterling silver fork. Debris found after a hurricane took out a palatial hunting lodge last used in the ‘40’s or ‘50’s. I hid them at a nearby campsite, a place I often return to, and looked forward to a tradition of elegance, recovering and using them. Even though I drink ales, not Plisners.

They stayed hidden for a couple years, well off trail, tucked in the enfolding roots of a Loblolly pine and covered unseen with needle duff. Damned if someone didn’t find them. I was so bummed, and had to drink my IPA’s from the can, like a heathen.

Wayyy off topic, but the history of those hunting lodges is fascinating stuff. Think high roller Carnegie and Rockefeller progeny and white gloved wait staff.

https://www.assateaguephotos.com/Other/ ... /i-nW3mv9W

Longish read, but the photos are cool. The octagonal multi-windowed club room at the High Winds Lodge is awesome.

https://www.assateaguephotos.com/Other/ ... /i-PbB9SF4

https://www.assateaguephotos.com/Other/ ... -Lcd6Wps/A

Not that I myself would ever ignore the posted signs and slip inside for a look.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2021, 10:01 pm 

lol Mike
ya i think that's the kind of thing i saw 10 years ago

ps purcell grills are nice, i picked up the voyageur recent to go with travellers.
but if on 4 person+ trips i leave them home ($$$) and take cookie cooling racks
i find they're great as they stack so tightly, are light, and compact.
they double up as a pretty tough grill, or can sit side by side for lots of cook space,

also found, in busier parks, lots of cotton,
usually on portages (not growing), but weaved into sweaters, pants, beach towels

PostPosted: August 26th, 2021, 10:37 am 

Have only found some rope and a few rapala minnows. Lost my carinni hatchet on the shores of Plumb L. , where the creek exits. I custom mounted the hickory handle but who knows what's left .Been like 20 yrs

PostPosted: August 27th, 2021, 8:00 am 

remogami wrote:
also found, in busier parks, lots of cotton,
usually on portages (not growing), but weaved into sweaters, pants, beach towels

I hadn’t thought about clothing items. Socks mostly, or more specifically sock, singular, often toasted from a futile attempt to dry it out over the fire.

Only one good item of clothing, a thick green wool sweater, the kind with the padded shoulders. It had a Delaware Dept. of Natural Resources patch, we were not in Delaware; I guess even Rangers forget their clothes sometimes. Didn’t fit me, I gave it to a friend.

Back to Remogami and Doug B’s “lost smokes”. Folks running out of tobacco on trips can be the stuff of angst filled legend. 30 mile day on the Sea of Cortez; gotta get to La Paz TODAY dammit (not me).

We were visited by a Ranger on a Penobscot trip and out-of-smokes friend Ben, watching the Ranger light up, asked if he could bum one. That must not have been an uncommon occurrence; the Ranger opened an ammo box, pulled out an un-opened pack of Camel non-filters, held it up and said “Twenty bucks”.

Cigarettes were $4 a pack at the time.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2021, 10:05 am 

Best thing I found at a campsite (although not the most expensive) was this aluminum chair about twenty years ago, still using it today since it's light enough to carry around, and port bungeed onto a pack. Light for it's size and I haven't been able to find anything else while shopping around here and there to replace it.

The original owner probably felt it was worth keeping since the aluminum rivets (probably) that had held the armrests in place had been replaced with sheet metal screws, now rusted.

It actually wasn't on the campsite, submerged in about twenty feet of water off a ledge... visible down there while snorkeling around looking at bass. Cold water and the chair was put to good use to warm up comfortably in the sun.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2021, 10:17 am 
Back in the 70s on a trip down the Harricanaw River Ben Bowditch and I found 2 bodies floating in the river.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2021, 2:50 pm 

kinguq wrote:
Most intriguing found: Full-sized inflatable female sex doll, on Cross Lake, Temagami. Must have been a story there. And no, I did not take it with me.[/quute]

kinguq wrote:
It was partially inflated when we found it, but went flat over time

Ummmm, yes, it does sounds like there's a story there but I don't think I want to hear it.

Alan

PostPosted: August 27th, 2021, 5:51 pm 

Are we all playing finders/keepers?
I’ve come across a few canoe wrecks where the groups have been airlifted out and had to leave their entire kit.
What would you do, leave it or grab the good stuff?
The first wreck was on the wakwayowkastic river, early June and high water. We knew there was a group airlifted off 2 weeks before we started. The RCMP had told us about the group of 3 Americans when we were giving them our trip itinerary at the cochrane detachment. Sure as anything, about half way down the river, we see a green wood canvas boat wrapped and a camp set up on the shore with some tents set up and all their gear thrown about. Obviously the helicopter swooped in and grabbed these people without giving them time to grab all their stuff. Thousands of dollars of gear sitting there, and way nicer than the stuff we were using at the time. We debate, then decided they weren’t coming back for the stuff so we cleaned up their stuff, and took what we could. Later down the river we came across a kayak stuck in the bank willows, which was the groups second boat. Hooked it up and towed it home. That was 30 years ago and a lot of that equipment is still being used.

The second wreck/evacuation was on the Elk river. It was day 2 of a 5 week trip when we stumbled on a bent and torn pack boat on the side of the river. Their stuff was neatly piled by the boat, pretty much a full kit, full food barrels included. We again debated, decided not to mess with our karma so early in our trip and our boat was already over loaded and left everything as it was and carried on. Hopefully someone got to that stash and cleaned up.

A third score was at the portage into North Tea Lake in Algonquin. When we paddled up to the trail, there was a good sized black bear hovering over a few packs. He wasn’t letting us in. We decided to call his bluff and shooed him off with throwing rocks and by calling him many insulting names. He buggered off into the bush and we pulled up and quickly crossed. Apparently this guy had chased off the last group heading into the park half way through their portaging and they had run leaving all their party supplies. I don’t know big that group was, but they had enough booze in those bags for a decent wedding reception. The rest of that trip is kind of a blur.

Its hard to think of a trip, even way up there, where I haven’t stumbled on something or else, throw bags and ropes, saws, lots of axes and hatchets (don’t know why people don’t paint their fire tools red or orange), fishing tackle, camp chairs, fire grates and cutlery seem to be the most common. I am extremely grateful for all the forgetful trippers out there.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2021, 6:20 pm 

Lots of single socks at the end of portage trails.

[i]Rick[/i] discoverpaddling.ca

PostPosted: August 27th, 2021, 7:56 pm 

No, MM, seriously!! A pipe! You were out on a canoe trip smokin'a pipe! I can't even remember the last time I saw a guy doing the pipe-smoker thang. If Bill Mason wasn't a pipe-smoker, don't you think he sure as hell should've been! The pipe was an integral part of the golden era of the flannel-shirt, wise-young-guy-disguised-as-geezer. The last documented sighting of an authentic pipe-smoking canoe god, at least of the pre-hipster variety (Bongs don't count!), was in the early eighties somewhere north of Lake Shangri-la. He was last seen calmly erecting a bush sauna out of a floorless old canvas tent. That's back in the days when guys lived in unselfconscious imitation of David' Carradine's Cain character in "Kung Fu". Alas, by writing this I suppose that I, too, am dating myself. Well, the sad truth is, no one else will date me!

PostPosted: August 28th, 2021, 10:22 am 

martin2007 wrote:
No, MM, seriously!! A pipe! You were out on a canoe trip smokin'a pipe! I can't even remember the last time I saw a guy doing the pipe-smoker thang.

One of my current companions is a pipe smoker, and my early tripping companion was as well.

ImageEK_0009 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Lotta nights around the campfire with that guy in my teens and 20’s.

ImageEK_0012 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

He mixed his own, an Abbey-esque homage blend of Bull Durham for bulk and Sir Walter Raleigh for aromatic taste.

http://josephcrusejohnson.blogspot.com/ ... abbey.html

Not just any pipe, but usually a corn cob pipe. I have lost a $$$ pipe in a capsize, maybe the most expensive piece of gear I’ve ever lost. BTW, do not use a corn cob pipe if it is excessively windy; I had one “Ow, ow, ow, why is my hand so hot?” burn through in bellows-like high winds.

Although not as much pipe smoking anymore; pipe tobacco is becoming harder and harder to find. Every convenience store sells cigarettes, not so much anymore with mild Burly & Bright.

So I feed my tobacco addiction with those evil sticks as well, but I abhor ciggie butts on the ground, and would always field strip my butts. Now I just bring a small plastic ashtray, emptying the ashtray into a Ziplock bag.

By the end of a long trip I have a bag full of stinky cigarette butts. And, if I’m running out of nicotine, a pack of rolling papers as well as the pipe. The downside is that it’s like smoking a Lucky Strike.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lucky+s ... 1tXroKabMM

The upsides; no one ever asks to bum a smoke, and after twisting up one of those toasted tobacco nasties I don’t want another for quite a while.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 9:56 am 

Found a fully loaded canoe pack, Turned it in at the ranger station