It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 21st, 2021, 3:12 pm 

In July we were out for a few days doing portage clearing… base camping on a favourite island. Could not find the scrubby when it came time to do dishes the second night. Hmm. We’d left it out in the sun to dry after breakfast.
Next morning, my toothbrush was missing. I’d left it in my cup.
We figured it was the resident red squirrel. S/he often came by to say hello when we were near. S/he had a few hiding holes nearby and perhaps objected to us not sharing our food?

PostPosted: August 21st, 2021, 3:44 pm 

Found,
-Many paddles,
-PFDs,
-NRS rescue knife,
-Digger hat,
-Compass biner, biner cup, S-biner
-Made in Canada stainless fork,
-12’ Sportspal canoe
-10’ pelican kayak

Lost,
-MEC rain jacket

PostPosted: August 21st, 2021, 4:15 pm 

lost:
-smokes
-paddles
-patience
-buck knife

found:
-MEC rain jacket

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2021, 9:34 am 

My founds are mostly garbage removal. Every so often someone discards stuff I find useful though :)

Best was a low end cdn tire 7x7 bug shelter. Tent pegs are the only things I feel small guilt for as I find more than I loose.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2021, 9:45 am 

I’m pretty good a losing belt knives.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2021, 9:47 am 

Found a good pair of water shoes at a site in the French Delta.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2021, 12:05 pm 

I had a bundle of 3 crappy tire wooden handled roasting sticks that I left on the beach when we shoved off in the massassauga back in june. I was annoyed, but consoled myself that from then on campers at that site would be able to enjoy nice roasting sticks for their fire.

We went back to a nearby site 3 weeks later, and so we popped over to the first site. Whoever found the sticks didnt leave them there for people to use, but had evidently taken them home with them.

There had been a nice built-up fire pit too, with a lot of rocks built up on one side to break the wind off the bay. Someone had decided to demolish that, and make a new, not nearly so well done pit in a different spot, right in a prime tent spot in fact.

No idea if the same jerk face committed both acts, but I wonder.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2021, 6:25 pm 

Lost: Really nice WW paddle

Found: Lots of plastic paddles, cooler, sleeping Bag.

Best was a pack raft with a bunch of gear pulled up on a river bank during very high spring water. We all agreed that we probably should not have been out. We recorded co-ordinate and reported it to RCMP when we got out. Turns out it was a tourist looking for an "adventure". Took him three( I think) days to walk out and was in rough shape when they found him. Am assuming he went back for his gear, was all high end stuff.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2021, 9:32 am 

Lost: Sunglasses/more sunglasses, did I mention sunglasses?

Best Find: 6 Cans of beer in a mesh bag submerged at a campsite. They had weighed them down with a rock, long rope tied to a tree on shore.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2021, 6:59 pm 

Lost:
More expensive paddles than I care to recount.
Smokes when already running low.
Life jackets
Lots of vinyl from the bottom of my boats.

Found:
Lots of cheap paddles.
Lots of fire grates.
Boats and gear, either pinned or abandoned some including undamaged gear such as tents, sleeping bags, cloths and booze.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 9:02 am 

remogami wrote:
lost: smokes

DougB wrote:
Lost: Smokes when already running low.

Years ago, on a week long trip with my not-yet wife, we stopped for a leg stretcher on day two and I elected to fill my pipe and have a smoke while sitting on a log looking at the maps. Made camp that evening and, huh, where is my bag of pipe tobacco?

10 miles upstream, sitting on a log.

Fortunately I had a couple cheap cigars. I rationed them, lighting one after dinner each evening, smoking half of it and saving the butt for the next day. In rationing my scant remaining supply smoke I found it was less wasteful to twist the remaining tobacco from the cigar butt and smoke it a pinch at a time in my pipe.

It was less than satisfying, but I made it through. The Missus-to-be decided that she would make me an “Emergency Tobacco Stash”. She bought a couple screw cap vials, labeled them “Emergency Tobacco” and took them to a tobacconist shop, explaining her plan.

The tobacconist asked “What kind of tobacco does he usually smoke?”, meaning Burley or Cavendish or etc.

“Well, he smokes old cigar butts”

I don’t know what she bought, but damn it was strong. I still have the “emergency” vials, and still fill them with Burley & Bright before a trip.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 9:08 am 

Most intriguing found: Full-sized inflatable female sex doll, on Cross Lake, Temagami. Must have been a story there. And no, I did not take it with me.

Lost: Not much, really. Very careful about that, with multiple checks before leaving. Probably just a bailer and a paddle in a WW dump.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 11:40 am 

Lost: Nothing yet (in 30yrs touch wood)

Found:
Lighters,
6 pack of bud light (good 'ol bud light drinkers..lol, but I did enjoy it even though I am not a bud fan.)
Brand new 4L Platypus gravity filer (left it there since it was close to parking lot)
Camp chair
Assortment of axes (leave those behind, they can go with the grills)
Fishing rod,
Camp pillow
Water shoes (many of these)

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 3:46 pm 

In the mid 90's on a 7 day Spanish River trip from Duke Lake to Agnew Lake on each of the last 3 campsites we occupied an article clothing belonging to a Jamie Cxxxxxxxxx was found. Each article had a tag his name inscribed on it.

Fourth night was a pair of socks, fifth night a 1992 Blue Jays World Series Champions sweatshirt (in excellent condition), third night a pair of size 12 men's hiking boots (also in excellent condition). We burned the socks.

No one had reported them lost at Agnew Lake Lodge so they were donated to a Sudbury thrift shop .... I think.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 6:15 pm 

kinguq wrote:
Most intriguing found: Full-sized inflatable female sex doll, on Cross Lake, Temagami. Must have been a story there. And no, I did not take it with me.

lol did you find it in pretty good condition in 2008 or 2009 on Cross?

Mike wrote:
Fortunately I had a couple cheap cigars. I rationed them, lighting one after dinner each evening, smoking half of it and saving the butt for the next day. In rationing my scant remaining supply smoke I found it was less wasteful to twist the remaining tobacco from the cigar butt and smoke it a pinch at a time in my pipe.

That's smart. It doesn't 'burn down' wasting that part of the tobacco (when you twist a bit off and burn only that bit). I'll keep that in mind when running low, which happens often. But I'll need a small pipe.

Not good when you're out. But I find it's worse when you're close, and rationing. When you run out nothing teases you "I'm here.. right here.. and you can't have me" lol. When you're out it's like on a plane with a plane phobia. A part of you lets go because there is nothing you can do anymore.

Mike wrote:
The Missus-to-be decided that she would make me an “Emergency Tobacco Stash”. She bought a couple screw cap vials, labeled them “Emergency Tobacco”

But, did she tell you she had them before trip started? Because if she did, lol, that wouldn't work for me. I mean, if I knew there was this backup stash, whether I like it or not, my mind will see that stash as part of my main stash lol. So it never actually gets to 'come to the rescue', because it's part of my stash and my stash is not it's own rescue lol.