It is currently September 24th, 2022, 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 13th, 2021, 10:42 am 

I’m interested in taking my ORCKA Canoe Tripping Instructor 2 Course. One of the requirements is 400 km in 20 days in 1, 2 or 3 trips.

I will have to go through my logs of longer trips but I suspect I’m short of this.

I have a few shorter trips I could count. So I’m thinking of either doing:

1 trip - 13 days in length of 278 km OR
1 trip or 2 trips - 16 days total of 332 km

Probably in Algonquin or maybe somewhere else in Ontario.

I’m really not sure it’s doable for me but I’m thinking it through.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: November 13th, 2021, 12:22 pm 

Your pace of 20-21 km/d is certainly reasonable. But if there is significant portaging I would personally want to have a rest day around day 5 or 6. I think 13 days of 21 km/d would start to feel more like work than a fun canoe trip.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2021, 3:26 pm 

I’d be thinking rivers. The Missinaibi would fit the schedule nicely. Probably less portaging than an Algonquin marathon as well.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2021, 7:47 pm 

Seems quite do-able. Personally I double-up the mileage/day as often as possible so that I can take a full rest/eating day between each on-the-water day. The days are long but those rest days are well worth going the extra mile(s).

PostPosted: November 13th, 2021, 8:43 pm 

I was also thinking Missinaibi.....

The upper river from Hawk Junction to Mattice is about 310km, from Missinaibi Station a bit less.
(Requires a long and possibly expensive shuttle)

The lower river from Mattice to Moosonee is just shy of 300km
(easy logistics for this one and not that expensive at all)

On both of these there are not that many portages, the ones that do exist on the Upper are fairly short and you have lots of no portage days to make up distance if need be.

Also in the James Bay South area, are the Wakwayokastic, Kesagami-Patridge or Kesagami-Nettogama, these all end in Moosonee so simple inexpensive logistics, The Wak has a fair bit of portaging

Further afield in Manitoba, The Bloodvein is the right distance but it's (mostly) a fly-in and may be negatively affected by this years fires.

To the east the Coulonge is about 270km, not bad for portages.

Others in Ontario would be sections of the Otoskwin/Attawapiskat or Albany but those are both fly-in and/or fly-out.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2021, 10:12 pm 

If you want a really long trip you could do the Kenogami River down to Little Current river and then down to Kenogami river and up Kenogami and Kabinakagami rivers to Hwy 11 (it is possible to paddle up the last two).
You would have to arrange for a shuttle from Nakina to a bridge on a logging road northwest of Nakina over the Kapikotongwa River and to have your car shuttled to the bridge over the Kabinakagami on Hwy 11.
No flying in or out!
I did the first part of the trip down to the Albany River Forks in 2000 and it was 320 km over 11 days (did 80km in one day on lower Little Current River) and we flew out in two planes- six people and 3 canoes (2.5 hour flight back to Nakina).

Note:
There are no official campsites, you find and make your own as you go and there are over 40 rapids plus several falls to do, some portages start at the lip of the falls. Water levels play a large role on what is encountered along the way.
I don't know what kind of experience you have for river travel in remote areas (once you're beyond Percy Lake there is nothing of "civilization" to see)!

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken
You can never have too much education-me

PostPosted: November 15th, 2021, 6:04 am 

Save yourself the cost of flying and shuttles, and do two loop trips. The Steel is 160 k and can be done in anywhere from 4 to 10 days, depending on your tripping style, and then drive for a few hours and do the Marshall Lake loop, again, around 160 k, 5 to 10 days in duration. I suspect you would easily meet your second criteria of 1 trip or 2 trips - 16 days total of 332 km.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2021, 6:07 am 

Mel, that's quite a trip you suggest, lol. The Lower Kap can be quite a handful if the water is high. However, travel in August usually tames it down.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2021, 11:17 am 

Rob,
As you know, I did this section in August, so water levels were acceptable for rapid running!

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken
You can never have too much education-me

PostPosted: November 15th, 2021, 5:40 pm 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2021, 2:10 pm 

The Hayes River in Manitoba is about 620km from a vehicle put-in to York Factory. Not an easy trip to plan but you can knock off your length requirement and paddle a historically significant river that ends in polar bear country at a National Historic site.

It's a long haul from the big smoke and involves an expensive jet boat and a cheap but very slow train ride.

It took us 17 days (paddling) and it took friends 22 days (larger group).

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 14&t=45424

PostPosted: November 20th, 2021, 4:36 pm 

recped wrote:
I was also thinking Missinaibi.....

The upper river from Hawk Junction to Mattice is about 310km, from Missinaibi Station a bit less.
(Requires a long and possibly expensive shuttle)

The lower river from Mattice to Moosonee is just shy of 300km
(easy logistics for this one and not that expensive at all)

On both of these there are not that many portages, the ones that do exist on the Upper are fairly short and you have lots of no portage days to make up distance if need be.

Also in the James Bay South area, are the Wakwayokastic, Kesagami-Patridge or Kesagami-Nettogama, these all end in Moosonee so simple inexpensive logistics, The Wak has a fair bit of portaging

Further afield in Manitoba, The Bloodvein is the right distance but it's (mostly) a fly-in and may be negatively affected by this years fires.

To the east the Coulonge is about 270km, not bad for portages.

Others in Ontario would be sections of the Otoskwin/Attawapiskat or Albany but those are both fly-in and/or fly-out.

Suggestions of maps for the section from Hawk Junction to Missinaibi Lake?

PostPosted: November 20th, 2021, 4:47 pm 

Another thought:

Got the maps for Missinaibi. If I start at the same park and go to Mattice it 191 km. If I did that I’d need a second trip that is 141 km.

Any other ideas for that?

PostPosted: November 20th, 2021, 7:05 pm 

ChristineCanoes wrote:
Suggestions of maps for the section from Hawk Junction to Missinaibi Lake?

The 35km section from Missinaibi Station to the Park is covered in Hap's book/guide, for the 40km from Hawk Junction to Missinaibi Station the topos are all you really need.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2021, 7:18 pm 

Hey Christine,

Here’s a link to a couple other routes that might work in some pretty interesting country.
https://www.manitouwadge.ca/wp-content/ ... Routes.pdf