It is currently October 6th, 2022, 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Annual Canoe Maintenance
PostPosted: July 6th, 2022, 11:15 am 

Without a current rebuild in the shop it was time to turn my attentions to annual canoe maintenance on the family fleet. Starting with a thorough inspection, achieved through an up close and personal scrubbing, so best scheduled as a warm weather event.

The Mohawk Odyssey 14 first, my all time favorite solo canoe of shallow rivers and streams. Everyone in the family likes the Odyssey. Everyone who has ever borrowed it has liked the Odyssey; a user friendly solo that will float across a dewy lawn.

That is the only canoe in which I leave the floatation bags installed year round. As in year round since it was factory outfitted in 2004; the bags, kept in place partially deflated, are sun bleached, but when fully inflated amazingly still did not leak. Even the factory installed D-rings and lacing cord are still solid. It’s nice to have one canoe always bagged and ready at an instant.

ImageP6300002 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

As with most of our boats the Odyssey has Dynel skid plates with graphite powder and black resin, and all of the usual outfitting touches; Conk seat, knee bumpers, kneeling pads, foot brace and strap yoke.

ImageP6300010 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Back band and seat pad under straps.

ImageP6300011 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The Odyssey has retrofitted bow and stern spray covers, which help protect the float bags from UV exposure and errant branch puncture on densely overhung streams and twisty tight blackwater rivers.

ImageP6300013 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

All of the machine screws and nuts were tight, rope and lines were sound, all it needed was new deck plate bungee painter keepers.

ImageP6300018 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Which it did not get; I had no quality marine bungee of a diameter to fit through a beefy cord lock. I’ll never again install bungee without running a bitter end through a cord lock; that easy adjustability prevents the bungee from being unduly stretched out.

Good to go for now, ‘til I pick up some quality bungee cord, back on the racks and on to the next canoe, my O-lineman son’s soloized RX Explorer.

With thick old school Royalex the soloized Explorer is a beast. Always was, and with the permanent outfitting, including the ghastly original-owner installed kevlar felt skid plates (he at least did a decent job of it) the Explorer weighs 85lbs. But aside from getting it on and off the roof racks (Portage it? Hell no!) it is a great do-everything big boy solo canoe, equally at home on lakes and rivers, day trips and long campers.

All of the same outfitting touchs, it even uses the same retrofitted spray covers, but it has a utility sail thwart. The soloized Explorer makes a fine downwind sailing hull; with the vee bottom it skates sideways less without resorting to a lee board.

ImageP7040001 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The logo on the right bow is a recreation of the original Passamaquoddy “Rabbit in the Ferns” design from whence Jim Henry borrowed the MRC logo. It wasn’t like Tomah Joseph was gonna take him to copyright court.

ImageP7040006 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Photograph of Tomah Joseph’s Rabbit in the Ferns on page 87 of The Bark Canoes and Skin Boats of North America.

Time for one more tune up, my all-time favorite canoe for downriver daytrips, the Freedom Solo.

As usual, Dynel/graphite/pigment skid plates. I see where the bow skid plate took a ding; everything is still solid and unfrayed at that shallow dent, and it looks like I installed the Dynel just barely high enough on the stem. That is a single layer of 5oz plain weave Dynel; had I installed an under layer of bias cut anything, even E-glass, even that little dent would be absent. Couldashoulda on a rocky rivers canoe; too late now.

ImageP7040007 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That bow bing occurred when my younger son pinned it after a mishap. With a stout truss hung seat, stern thwart and double hung utility thwart the Freedom Solo has a slight dimple on one side; without those cross members it might well have folded.

That one sometimes gets float bags, so I leave the lacing in place.

ImageP7040010 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Again, the usual; double contour seat on truss hangers, back band, seat pad, knee bumpers and foot brace. Two feet on the brace, two knees on the bumpers, ass firmly planted on the seat I have five points of body-to-boat contact even while seated. Six if you count a paddle brace.

ImageP7040015 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The partially deflated Dollar Store beach balls in the stems are not floatation; they are bird nest preventers for when the canoe is stored outside. Tied in with a piece of string poked up through the drain holes and tied back around the carry thwart or handle, just like the floatation bags are pulled up tight and secured at the bow stems.

An early attempt at DIY spray covers. My construction technique, materials and aesthetics got better, but those work just fine.

ImageP7040018 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

ImageP7040019 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Yeah, that is a little downwind sail in the bow paddle pocket. I don’t often sail the Freedom Solo, but if I am on a wide river or open water stretch and catch a tailwind, eh, that little sail takes up no space, and goes up and down in seconds. Any hands-free ride is worth it; time to do a little housekeeping in the boat, and maybe light a pipe (glances about furtively).

ImageP7040024 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Bunch of canoes awaiting still awaiting annual inspection and maintenance. The Missus birthday is tomorrow, and she has a couple favorite boats, kinda considered “hers”.

“Happy Birthday, I washed and inspected your canoes, and replaced XYZ”

Maybe I should get a card too.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2022, 8:25 pm 

Nice write-up and interesting setup on these! The canoes look in nice condition for 2004, much better than ours with a whole lot of scratches and dents from scraping rocks. After seeing these, I'm thinking we need to be more careful (or skillful?) and think of adding some of these setup items.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2022, 8:24 am 

Sunshine wrote:
Nice write-up and interesting setup on these! The canoes look in nice condition for 2004, much better than ours with a whole lot of scratches and dents from scraping rocks. After seeing these, I'm thinking we need to be more careful (or skillful?) and think of adding some of these setup items.

Sunshine, I posess no extraordinary paddling skills. I will admitted that part of the (not really) annual maintenance is rubbing on some 303, so the hulls briefly look shinier and less scratched than in actuality.

Next up, one of the Missus favorite solo canoes for mild water tripping or day paddling, a 2008 Wenonah Wilderness. I believe 2008 was the first year for the Wilderness, and it has some peculiarities.

Washing the hull I noticed a phenomenon most common with vinyl gunwaled hulls, an amazing amount of crud hose blasted out from between the hull and outwale. On both sides the vinyl outwales are slightly puckered at the stems to accommodate the narrowing sheerline. I could have started a potted plant with the dirt I repeatedly blasted out of those puckers. Hey, the Wilderness became lighter weight!

Like a lot of Royalex canoes it is shorter than its composite cousins, the Wilderness is 15’ 4” in composite, more like 15’ even in RX.

15’ = 180 inches. Half of 180” = 90”. The front edge of the seat is whopping one inch back of the center, and this was supposed to be a “Big-Boy” solo. Not a kneeling big-boy canoe. Not a seated a big-boy with a front porch overhang canoe. That RX version seat placement may have been a first production year issue.

Beyond moving the seat further aft (which would not be difficult) the as-is solution would be to shift big-boy weight further back on the seat.

Except. . . . Wenonah positioned the stern thwart a whopping 3” behind the seat. It was barely back far enough to accommodate the curve of a back band. Since the Wilderness paddles well for my slender wife or lightweight son I just moved that thwart to 5 ½” behind the factory seat location.

ImageP7100006 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I should have plugged the old machine screw holes with pop rivets. Just did.

One of the reasons my wife likes the Wilderness is that it was speced at 47lbs. A 15’ Royalex canoe at 47lbs is only achievable by using some thin Royalex sheets; the bottom oil cans a bit. Really wish I’d bought a composite version instead.

A composite version would have eliminated another lesson learned early on. The Wilderness was a week old factory fresh when I got it, and it immediately went up on the roof racks and off on a few travelling trips. I use ropes and truckers hitches. Truckers hitches that, because of the slab sidedness of the Wilderness, were pressed against the hull.

ImageP7090004 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

It takes an RX foam core some weeks (months, maybe a full year?) to fully harden. Those dimples are now 14 years old and decidedly permanent. Yeah, yeah, I know; but I detest straps.

Even the factory-fresh vinyl skin seemed wimpier; the first few Wilderness trips were gentle, yet there are some noticeable slices part way through the vinyl from those outings. I’m thinking perhaps the vinyl skin gets tougher with a bit of cure time.

Factory fresh foam core RX, or these days a T-formex canoe; be kindly for the first year. Eh, I don’t actually know about T-formex, but I’m willing to do a fresh-from-the-oven test. Probably need a year-old T-formex hull to really compare. Not expecting any takers on my offer to abuse.

Fortunately the Wilderness has Dynel, Graphite powder and black pigment skid plates, so I never got to discover out how thick the Royalex was on the stems.

ImageP7090002 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The outwale puckers at the stems are evident in that photo.

Enough dissing the RX Wilderness. Well, maybe one more thing. Wenonah specs 1 ¼” of symmetrical rocker on that canoe. Maybe in the composite versions, but I sure can’t see or feel it on the RX version. Sighting up the keel line upside down it looks mighty damn level.

It does have a decently fine entry line for a Royalex canoe. So fine that, early on, when I ran it through a series of haystacks the bow plung-submerged on each and every wave. Fortunately I was using spraycovers. Unfortunately they were partial spray covers, leaving an open “cockpit” area at the seat. The waves ran across the bow cover, hit the raised drip baffle, smacked me in the chest and came to rest in my lap.

It was a New Years Day trip in Pennsylvania. It was not a warm New Years Day trip. I got to the private take out and immediately joined my companions alongside the blazing firepit, prepared for our frigid arrival in advance. By the time I got to “undressing” the Wilderness the spray covers were giant, frozen-stiff pizza slices. Gawd bless a pickup bed with a cap for awkward gear storage.

What stuck with me most was that my throw bag, clipped on a thwart, was a useless frozen block of ice by the time I unloaded the canoe. That wouldn’t be good.

But enough of my bitching; the wife and son both like the Wilderness, and it is a well appointed canoe, with all of the now-usual touches, including massive overkill minicel knee bumpers.

ImageP7100008 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Those were the first pair of knee bumpers I ever installed; they are band-saw cut with a knee bracing angle underneath, but at the time I did not know the minicel cushion only needed to be 10-12 inches long, even for a variety of body sizes. That’s a lot of minicel; I could have made three sets of knee bumpers from that had I known what the hell I was doing. Oh well, call ‘em interior sponson floatation.

The usual outfitting upgrades; contour seat, strap yoke, foot brace, utility thwart

ImageP7100007 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The white things stuffed in the bow and stern stems are bird nest preventers.

ImageP7100011 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Instead to using a half deflated mini-beach ball I used some slabs of ethafoam packing material, with a notch cut to hold them in place against the carry handles.

ImageP7100020 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I am not a fan of end caps, or more specifically of trying to secure painter lines under bungee atop winky deck caps; it’s either a too tall standing coil or a loose wrap draped over the outwales. Ugh.

The Wilderness has a short recessed “shelf” attached below the inwales.

ImageP7100015 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

16 feet of Bluewater River Rescue Rope, neatly coiled below the sheerline, unlikely to be dislodged or snagged.

ImageP7100018 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The usual seat comforts; Surf-to-Summit back band and mostly deflated ThermaRest pad. The orientation of that seat pad is critical for me. I’m right handed; I want the valve positioned on the right rear of the seat, so I can reach back and PFFT out a seconds worth of air. Starting off with the pad mostly deflated I have good sitz bones connection with the seat, with the semi-deflated pad bucket-seat-ish cupping my cheeks, and can still reach back a few times, let out a PFFT and change the pressure points.

ImageP7100021 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

For all my whining the Wilderness is a fine downwind sailor.

ImageIMG019 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

It has Cooke Custom Sewing spray covers. Custom Custom Sewing covers. I do not like the confinement of full tunnel covers, and 90% of the time would have full covers rolled back in any case.

Kinda like buying a canoe designed for what you do most of the time I might as well design partial covers for what I do 90% of the time. OK, not my design, those are Dan Cooke’s design for partial covers, down to the raised, curved drainage baffles, which are simply thin lengths of hemmed in minicel, with the last snap on each side set a little low to pull them taut and upright. Seriously, KISS freaking genius.

One not-a-secret to putting on nylon covers with snaps; in hot/sunny/low humidity conditions it pays a thumb-tax to wet out the covers before even trying to snap them in place. The sagged nylon will snap on stretchy easy. I usually just dunk the spray cover stuff bag in the river and set it aside while I pack the gear. Saggy damp the cover snap on easy-peazy.

ImageP7100024 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I timed it; east coast mid-Atlantic summer humidity, not desert dessicated. 30 sunny minutes to dry.

Paddle pockets and lash straps on both bow and stern covers, to better accommodate a double blade, a single blade and a 5’ push pole, and I can use a pocket and strap for the sail when dismounted.

ImageP7100027 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Toggle-handles on the stem loops; with the spray covers in place there is no easy access to the carry handles.

ImageP7100026 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

With the covers in place there is no gunwale to hold when working my way fore or aft to grab a painter line held in the lash straps on the stems. That’s fine in a tandem, just a step away, but with a solo the covers prevent grabbing the open gunwale and working my way forward while controlling the canoe until I get to the painter. At awkward landings I’d like my hand on a painter line before I even try to exit the boat.

An open cam cleat on the utility thwart resolves that issue.

ImageP7100029 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

All dressed up and ready to entertain sailers.

ImageP7100031 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The partial spray cover design needed one more touch, borrowed from our decked canoes. I do not like turning those ruddered hulls upside down, so they all have in-camp storage covers

ImageP1050476 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The first trip with a decked canoe storage cover I realized that I could leave all of the paddling gear – PFD, paddles, back band, pad, water shoes and etc rain or dew protected inside the hull. No more carrying canoe gear to camp, sometimes at a distance. No more “securing” it underneath the overturned hull and praying that it didn’t rain sideways overnight.

CCS made me a center storage covers to augment the partials.

ImageP7100036 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

If I head out for a wild-hair paddle from camp, explore about with empty canoe, gather firewood, simply have my morning coffee afloat I know that everything I need to paddle is already in the canoe. Well, I may still forget my coffee.

The raised drip baffles on the spray covers prevent rain water from entering the canoe, and the slight elevation of the storage cover from the back band prevents water pooling. Leaving the canoe resting at a slight sideways angle for the night also helps with rain drainage.

Still a little damp from the pre-snap water soaking, bow and stern covers are dry and taut.

ImageP7100038 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Time to move on to another Missus/son canoe, the Bell Yellowstone Solo; a bit too small for my preferences, but the ideal river day tripper for either of them.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2022, 9:17 am 

Not a lot to do on the Yellowstone Solo, I had rebuilt that canoe from a rotted brightwork derelict last winter, so knew that the ropes, lines and bungee would all be sound.

ImageP7100003 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The Missus has had it out a few times, so I could at least check the machine screws & nuts for the first time since the rebuild. As I expected, all good, all tight.

The handiest shop tool for tightening and loosening standard canoe hardware is a little offset socket wrench, 3/8” at one end, 7/16” at the other. Which just happens to be the sizes needed for the most common boat hardware, nuts for 3/16” and ¼” machine screws or bolts.

ImageP7100002 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Those are nylocks. I don’t use nylocks unless I only have only ¼” of thread to work with; I’d rather have a little more shank end protruding and use a washer, lock washer, nut and cap nut. That’s a lot of hardware, and not a few $’s in stainless, but nothing ever comes loose unless I take it off myself.

I recently saw another derelict wood gunwaled Bell canoe on which the gunwales screws missed the edge of the sheerline in exactly the same manner I discovered during the rebuild of the Yellowstone Solo.

https://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=49032

That white-ish area in the photo is the depth of the old wood gunwales; seemingly plenty of room to avoid the edge of the sheerline with the screws. Why are the screw holes all so close to the edge of the hull?

ImagePB010019 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I realized that the answer is that Bell’s wood gunwales had a peculiar and somewhat elegant shape. Instead of being simply rounded the gunwales have a unique curvy slope to the bottom edge, purportedly to aid in draining water away from the hull edge when the canoe was on roof racks or otherwise upside down.

I don’t know which years Bell used that peculiar gunwale shape, certainly in 2001, which I believe was the first year for the Yellowstone Solo. With most of the “meat” at the top of the gunwales because of the sloped shape it was necessary to install the gunwale screws very close to the sheerline edge. Sometimes too close.

I wish I had kept a piece of those rotted gunwales for an illustrative cross section. The curvy bottom slope is kinda visible here if you zoom in.

ImagePA310005 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Only took a few minutes to wash and inspect the Yellowstone Solo. On to the next canoe, another smallish boat, but more big-boy suitable.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2022, 1:12 pm 

Next up, and this may run long, a 1995 Old Town Pathfinder. Not only do I have a long, and long ago, history with plebian flat bottomed Old Town canoes, I have unexpectedly come to really enjoy the soloized Pathfinder as a noodle-around day boat.

It was always a fun canoe. The Missus and a young son umbrella sailing down Chunsuncooke Lake in an OT Pathfinder. I was alongside, also with a kid bowman umbrella sailing in a flat bottomed OT Camper.

ImageEK_0011 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Another family, Ben & Kathy, with youngsters Sam & Quinn, bought a Pathfinder and Camper at the same time we did; same paddlesport show, same Blem/Demo bargain on price. Chosen largely because the lack of a thwart behind the bow seat made them ideal bow backwards canoes with a young kid “up front”, and the flat bottomed primary stability was impressive with kids aboard; hard to capsize a Pathfinder or Camper on flatwater, even if you tried.

ImageEK_0018 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Capsize and recovery practice. Oh Ben, try harder, this time without the instinctive brace. Maybe kneel, grab the gunwales, and turn turtle.

Ben & Kathy’s ’95 Pathfinder lay forlorn, upside down in the dirt leaned against a fence to 10+ years. I was looking for a novice flatwater canoe for someone’s petite adult daughter and young granddaughter. Kathy had a price in mind, and we negotiated. She said “Free” and I said “At least a couple hundred”. Ben made me stop counting at five 20’s.

I brought it home with me.

ImagePB140064 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

It was so sap encrusted that the leaf litter did not blow off during an hour long inter-State highway speed drive home.

ImagePB140071 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Hose blasted the gunwale edges and deck plates continued to shed debris. An entomologist would have been fascinated at the spiders, pale crickets and other bug life. “It’s a rare gunwale spider”. I felt kinda bad about dislodging them from their generational home, but the eviction notice had been served.

ImagePB140073 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Dirt continued to fall out. For weeks. Dirt continues to fall out to this day. After a couple year’s worth of thumps, bumps and hose blasting after trips I thought I had gotten it all, but I set the canoe down a little hard (read “Dropped it”) when taking it off the racks and dirt fell out. Hey, the Pathfinder gets lighter every trip.

I can’t stand to work on filthy boats, or even inspect them. After a vigorous scrubbing, starting with Dawn dishwashing soap and cheap household cleaning vinegar (50/50, no water) most of the crud came off, but there were still numerous sap drips.

ImagePB270008 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Hint for tree sap on hull. Thick stalagmite globs of sap are easiest removed in winter, the colder the better; tap a putty knife or chisel at the edge and the mound will often fly off cleanly separated.

Shallow drabs of stubborn sap, not so much, and I learned a new trick; an alcohol soaked cotton ball, laid atop a sap drip for a minute or two and the sap will become gummy enough to scrape cleanly off with a razor knife. I used 91% isopropyl; 70% worked but took repeated soakings and scrapings. 151 Rum might be worth a shot; it doesn’t take much fluid on the cotton ball.

The owner installed skid plates (maybe with my long ago “help”) were hideous.

ImagePB270010 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Sloppy loose epoxy edges trimmed off, re-coated with a mix of G/flex, graphite powder and black pigment those fugly skid plates looked almost presentable.

ImagePB300025 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The yoke, thwart, seats and other brightwork were all gonners.

ImagePB280018 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

As I gutted the brightwork an unexpected decision was made that the hull was too plebian even for the newbie flatwater paddling progeny, so the $100 Pathfinder became mine. I had no desire for a 14’ 10” tandem. Or any tandem. Time to soloize, and if it is going to be mine, it’s getting everydamnthing.

Starting with a Conk center seat in lieu of the decayed OT bow and stern seats.

ImagePC110005 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

New brightwork everywhere.

ImagePC130013 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Including a custom “Fishing Thwart”, with a stamped measuring scale.

ImagePC200037 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That Scotty rod base is also the sail mount. Downwind trolling anyone?

ImagePC200035 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Yadda yadda usual, strap yoke, foot braces, knee bumpers and heel pads.

ImagePC230016 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

ImageP1010002 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Yes, I replaced the too long machine screws – those were all I had on hand during the initial install– with proper length stuff.

Set up utility thwart for fishing

ImageP1010015 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Or for sailing/trolling

ImageP1010011 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Something was still missing. It needed flanged holes bow and stern, for stem loops with bicycle grip toggle handles. And the shop Gogetch, with some green reflective tape.

ImageP1130029 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Those are nice, and customanry, but still not it. It needs a new name.

ImagePC260034 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

It isn’t a Pathfinder anymore.

ImagePC260038 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That’s all well and good, but still not it. I know, the Fishfinder needs DIY partial spray covers

ImageP3250016 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

You never know where a sail may take you.

ImageP3250019 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Oh, look, rock whirls

ImageP3250017 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Oh look, big-arsed rock whirls.

ImageP3250011 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Some big enough to paddle into.

ImageP3250013 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The Pathfinder was always been a fun canoe, and with a high mounted seat my aging knees are loving it. I had no expectation that I would come to enjoy the Fishfinder as much as I have. I even broke down and bought a damnable 2-year Pennsylvania Fish Commission launch permit.

ImageP2240002 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

“Damnable” is a long story, reaching back to 1960;s pre-Fish Commission days, and what I claim as Grandfathered launch rights. Good luck with that McCrea.

It took decades, but I finally surrendered to authority; here’s your pound of flesh to support boat ramps, while I hand launch somewhere distant from the concrete chaos.

They got me; I’ll buy another 2-year permit for ’03-’04. I may have a bad aftertaste when I write the check. Eh, nothing a high ABV pale ale won’t rinse away. Gargling not recommended.

I don’t even fish, but fisherman friends have enjoyed borrowing it, especially because the permit is good for any Pennslyvania launch, and at any PA State Park. Another fisher-friend will be taking it out on the lower Susquehanna in PA next week.

12+ years of near constant use. 12 years moldering upside down in the dirt. The refurbished Fishfinder has decades yet to go.