It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 9th, 2020, 12:35 pm 

The Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande, is one of the most remote stretches of wild river in the Lower 48. Straddling the border between the USA and Mexico, this 200km stretch of the Rio Grande makes for a challenging, remote river trip that sees fewer than 200 paddlers attempt each year. The first Spanish conquistadors who entered this area called it El Despoblado, desolate or worthless land. This section of the Rio Grande was the last segment of the U. S. boundary to be surveyed. Up to challenge, In March of 2017, our group set out on a 9 day canoe trip to experience this wild river for ourselves.

This is one of our favourite paddling destinations to escape the chill of winter (Forida Everglades are pretty cool too!). We paddled the upper 175km stretch in 2015 and loved it so much that we just had to return and paddle the lower stretch in 2017. You can paddle nearly 450km of wild and scenic river for over a month! Highly recommend a trip down the Rio Grand if the winter blahs have hit you hard.

We began our adventure at Rio Grande Village in Big Bend National Park, exactly where Wayne and I finished our 175km paddle through the Great Unknown back in 2015. The first stretch would take us through the majestic Boquillas Canyon to the abandoned Mexican mining town of La Linda. From there, we would leave almost all traces of civilization behind, as we entered harsh landscape of sprawling desert, jagged mountains and imposing chasms. This lower stretch is flanked by remote river canyons with walls towering nearly 2,000 feet overhead.

I've put together a film form our adventure, available in the links below. Hope you enjoy!

Hardlink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6lFDnNwY-U

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6lFDnNwY-U[/youtube]

Attachment:
P1290173.jpg

Attachment:
P1290358.jpg

Attachment:
P1290569.jpg

Attachment:
P1290733.jpg

Attachment:
P1290878(2).jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: February 9th, 2020, 9:11 pm 

Oooh the elusive "Southern US Trip Reports" forum.

Watch the video folks...You will say "wow" at least a few times.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2020, 7:58 am 

What an adventure. Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

PostPosted: February 10th, 2020, 11:20 am 

Thanks guys!!
Aha, Jon, this sub forum doesn't get enough love!! Time to plan another southern escape....

PostPosted: February 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm 

Watched it last night (much batter than the Oscars!!) Incredible scenery throughout the entire route it seemed, and a hot spring to boot, loved the journey. I often wondered Brad, if you were a little nervous at times considering the proximity to a boarder that is, shall we say, somewhat turbulent to put it nicely? :D
Enjoyed this video immensely!! Thanks

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: February 11th, 2020, 5:29 pm 

Really enjoyed your video - of a trip well done. Thank-you for taking the time to film it, edit it, and share it.
Daniel

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 10:52 am 

Ha, thanks guys!

As for the border, I wasn't really unnerved, having paddled the upper stretch 2 years prior, I figured it was more of the same. It's fairly remote, so your chance of running into anyone is slim. We did see border patrol mid-way through the trip. They were high up on one of the nearby hills, staring us down. Leah however, was a little put off about sleeping in Mexico. We only did it twice. No issue!

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 3:12 pm 

Looking forward to the video when I get a chance. This is about the only place in the US I'd like to take a canoe trip.

Alan

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 11:00 pm 

The Escalante in Ut. is not bad....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 9:23 am 

I wondered about the Escalante. IIRC, I read it had a very narrow window to run. When's the best time to go? I've been eyeing the San Juan or the Green (Upper and Lower sections) for the next southern trip. Both look great.