It is currently June 24th, 2021, 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 25th, 2021, 11:08 am 

I had contacted Swift about making the raven in a composite layup, but they said it was not viable, so I was under the impression that they had not done so in the past.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2021, 11:42 am 

jmc wrote:
2000 is about right for timing. I will look for the number, although it may have to wait until some garden stuff comes out of the garage. I also seem to recall, from looking at Swift's site before purchasing, that the Raven was also listed in some expedition composite layup, although I have never seen such a boat. Can your old records confirm or disprove this?

Some of the below is from old Buyer’s Guides, using cheaters and a magnifying glass, and I know the accuracy (or published typos) in those guides can at times be suspect. I didn’t find the Raven on pre-1998 lists. Grabbing a few from the 90’s and early aughts:

1998 & 1999: 48lb in kevlar. (I should have bought one in ’98, a typo lists the 1998 MSRP at $48. I’ll take two)

2000: “RL”, 52lbs ($1050), “RX”, 56lbs ($1575)

2003: (Not clear at all the RX, RL or etc) 50lbs, 54lbs ($950, $995). Maybe the guy standing on the bathroom scale at Swift lost weight since 2000.

Now I’m really curious. I thought a Royalex Raven was at least 60lbs, although I never actually weighed one from an accurate shop scale. On the other hand going from 65lbs in RX to 54lbs really makes me wonder – how the hell would it be possible to drop 11lbs off the same hull using thinner “Roya-whatever” or even R-84.

Doesn’t seem possible. The smaller Mohawks, (13 and 14 footers) differ 4 or 5 lbs between R-84 and Royalex builds; the larger Odyssey 15 was 57lbs in Royalex, and 54lbs in R-84.

I don’t think it will answer the question “What exactly were Swift’s two versions of RX/RL? in the early aughts?”, but now I want to find some of the missing Buyers Guide years.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2021, 12:29 pm 

Wowza, a Kevlar Raven? That would be a rare bird indeed, one that Swift might not even know about lol.