It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 7th, 2022, 11:23 am 

. . . .in a solo boat in with company, or solo paddled in and camped with friends arriving day(s) later, or ? What’s your preference?

I have had some wonderful pure-solo trips, but several trips where I paddled in solo, set up and spent a day or two alone at a base camp, later had friends arrive in dribs and drabs, changing the group dynamic with each new arrival, were among the most memorable.

Not just the hail-and-well-met of old friends, but the “Is that a new tent?” and the fireside offerings of newly arrived treats and goodies. I may not have venison sausage or back strap for the grill, but I will always have a giant pass around jar of cashews, and a pack of regional Berger Cookies

https://www.bergercookies.com/about-our-cookies/

If length-of-stay permits I may linger for a few days of solitude after everyone has left. I love the decompression of another couple days in a silent camp, an unaccompanied solo paddle to the take out, and as leisurely (or fast) an unpack and drive away as desired. Sometimes I want to beat feet, sometimes I want to hang around and plan my travels or next move.

My all time favorite pseudo-solo was three weeks on the Green River with a skilled and trusted companion. We had separate permits, and he had a backpacking permit as well. He would stop at various trailheads to backpack atop the mesa while I would continue on downriver to base camp in some appealing canyon.

We didn’t see that much of each other, something like 9 out of 21 days. But, when we did, we both had new stories to tell. That may be important when you’ve heard every story from someone you’ve paddled with for 40 years ;-)