It is currently December 6th, 2019, 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: March 31st, 2013, 12:38 pm 

Charlie Wilson wrote:
Summary to date.
We've reported 74 canoes to date, and incredibly, 3 kayaks; shameless.
It sums up and breaks down as follows.

Charlie, in the interest of obtaining an accurate data set I will add the rest of our boats, having included only my two usual go-to tripping hulls. I’ll leave it up to you to decide if some of these are canoes or kayaks.

In addition to the MR Monarch and soloized Penobscot:

A soloized MR Explorer in Royalex. Utility/sail thwart and partial covers. My older son’s go-to tripper canoe. He’s young, big and strong, he can handle it.

Wenonah Wilderness in RX. Utility/sail thwart and partial covers. My younger son’s go-to tripper canoe. He’s tall and slim and fits that boat perfectly. I would have to move the seat back a few inches to compensate for the front porch belt overhang.

MR Independence in glass. Utility/sail thwart. My wife’s preferred solo canoe (no covers yet, but she wants custom partials). Our last remaining wood gunwaled boat.

MR Malecite in UL kevlar with partial covers. Soloized as my lightweight lake sailing hull.

MR Freedom Solo in RX. Mixed water canoe used mostly rocky Piedmont streams and small twisty waters.

Mohawk Odyssey 14 in RX. Piedmont streams, smaller waters and especially shallow water paddling. It’ll float across a dewy lawn if lightly loaded.

1981 Old Town Sockeye in glass with rudder, soloized as a decked canoe sailer. The “Sea Wimp”, one of the original tandem rec kayaks and now my older son’s preferred decked sailing hull.

1993 Phoenix Vagabond in glass/nylon with rudder, soloized as a decked canoe sailer and now my younger son’s preferred decked sailing hull.

Wilderness Systems Pamlico 145T in poly with rudder, soloized as a decked sailer and now my wife’s preferred sailing boat. (Don’t laugh; it is the best of the Pamlico family, actually a very nice solo sailer and a decent open water tripper for smaller people/lighter gear loads)

Wilderness Systems Pamlico 160T in poly with rudder, soloized as a decked sailing hull, AKA the plastic Kruger. (OK, laugh, it’s heavy and slow but it’ll haul heavy paddlers and gear, and makes a good loaner for novice sailors)

All of those boats are comfort outfitted in the usual manner with minicel knee pads and heel pads, foot braces, back bands, strap yokes and etc.

Three big tandem RX canoes (two 17 foot tandems and a three-seat 20 footer) that are most often paddled as loaners or in rec races.

One SOT – MR Synergy in poly. Nice sit-on-top fishing hull, but heavy and awkward to cartop.

One still-a-true kayak – an ancient Hydra Horizon. Can’t kill that thing.

An ancient RX Shenandoah (rebadged Blue Hole) left at the Tortoise Reserve as a loaner boat. Man that’s some thick Royalex.

A poly Mad River Adventure 16 left at the Tortoise Reserve as a loaner boat. Heavy as hell, a beast to cartop because of the peculiar “gunwales” and, with multiple molded cup holders, the best wasp nest attractor every built if stored outside. Getting it off the rack without getting stung and onto the roof racks without getting a hernia is problematic, but is comfortable and paddles OK.

Almost all of those boats were bought used, many of them on the cheap and in need of repairs. The rest were trades for boats we had outgrown or moved on from. Actually, looking at the list, the only boat we still own bought new is the 20 year old Hydra Horizon.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2013, 12:58 pm 

the rest of my fleet; swift osprey,hemlock kestrel,novacraft pal.
trutle

PostPosted: March 31st, 2013, 7:14 pm 

I'll throw mine into the mix... 14 foot Chestnut Fox and I have used my Swift Mattawa solo too.

I think that 40 pounds is lightweight, I can carry the Swift across 5km of portages in a day, doubt I could do that with the Chestnut, which dry is 56 pounds.

Oh, and Christine solo's her 15 1/2' tandem stripper that weighs in at 57 pounds.

Last edited by Mihun09 on April 1st, 2013, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2013, 10:35 pm 

My primary solo boat is a Chestnut Fox stretched to 15' and built extra light in wood-canvas. It weighs in at under 45lbs. Not super durable but I just ran it into a deadhead on my last trip and it survived unscathed. I paddled a friends Clipper Packer head to head with the Fox and the Fox won in all categories. I have also soloed in a 16' Chestnut Prospector cedar-strip. Big boat. Needs weight in it. I have paddled it a lot in the wind and find it quite co-operative as long as you shift weight forward.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013, 7:02 am 

weight is a relitive thing. i used to own a 14# savage river wee lassie set up for kneeling. everything else is heavy in comparison. i do most of my tripping in the adks with some long carrys and always single trip.
happy dingus day,turtle

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013, 1:05 pm 

I have used both my Hellman Prospector, and Swift Winisk solo. Though slower, I do prefer the maneuverability of the Prospector. The Winisk needs to be loaded, and would make a great 4 week solo tripper. :)

I am building a stretched Kite right now (15'6" from the standard 15'0" length). It is basically an Osprey with smoother top lines. I am about to glass the interior right away, and hope to have it on the water this June.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2013, 9:52 am 

Yeah! I wish you'd hurry up and get it built Jim haha

Very interested to see what you've come up with there

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2013, 12:50 pm 

I just wish life was not so darn busy in general, and my list of things to get done so long. :)

Oh well, retirement is looming in a few years, that will be nice, though I imagine I will still be busy then, just with more fun things. ;)

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2013, 6:43 pm 

i have 3 solo boats
evergreen at 9foot 10inch
dagger at 11foot 10inch
and a madriver at 13foot 3 inch
what are, they and would you paddel them?
have fun

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2013, 7:50 pm 

Evergreen Solito, Dagger Prophet (?), Mad River Rampage.

Not sure about the Prophet, but it's 11'8" according to Dagger. Other boats in the length vicinity are the Ocoee 11'5, and Rival 12'2". Ovation is shorter than the Ocoee, Impulse, Encore, Genesis Caption and Caper are all longer than the Rival.

PK

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2013, 3:50 am 

pknoerr wrote:
Evergreen Solito, Dagger Prophet (?), Mad River Rampage.

Not sure about the Prophet, but it's 11'8" according to Dagger. Other boats in the length vicinity are the Ocoee 11'5, and Rival 12'2". Ovation is shorter than the Ocoee, Impulse, Encore, Genesis Caption and Caper are all longer than the Rival.

PK

The catalogs listed the Prophet at 11' 11" but if I recall correctly when I measured mine with wood trim it was closer to 11' 10". The vinyl decks which overlap the hull a bit at the stems add some fraction of an inch, I would guess.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2013, 6:13 am 

it is a prophet
fantasy (pink) print date of 1990 with a fant flashback were its vinyl used to be
solito
thanks for playing

PostPosted: April 4th, 2013, 12:50 am 

I've been using a Nova Craft Prospector 16 in Rlite. My solo trips have been short so far, I pack fairly light, and I'm a medium-sized guy, so a deep, wide 16-footer has always been a handful.

However, I've just ordered a Nova Craft Supernova in Rlite (or Royalex in the current NC terminology). Once it arrives, the Prospector will be assigned primarily to tandem duties, though I'll probably keep using it for fishing day trips.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2013, 4:13 am 

canadians seem to mostly use bigger boats to solo trip with. they must be stronger than usa ers. i'm 1/2 canadian-what happened to me?
turtle

PostPosted: April 4th, 2013, 7:26 am 

rblturtle wrote:
canadians seem to mostly use bigger boats to solo trip with. they must be stronger than usa ers. i'm 1/2 canadian-what happened to me?
turtle

Just need to brush up on your canoe history. Soloing tandem boats is a Canadian thing and dates back to Ontario camps in the 1930's. Kids needed to learn to paddle solo. There were no real solo boats then but anyway what camp would want to buy twice as many boats?

American sport soloing dates from the 1970's with roots in Florida and Wisconsin, and of course Omer Stringer in Ontario developed the first onside freestyle moves (in a tandem) . Solo canoes really took off in the early 80's and most makers seemed to be smaller shops that were in the US.

Pack canoes of course have a long local history in the Adirondacks and are just now reaching Canada.

And in history, canoe trips used to be much longer. Reading RM Pattersons books you had to have tools to survive year round. Try stuffing all that in a little solo. Remember the canoe was the foundation of transport in Canada. Americans have made canoeing a sport, hence the downsizing of craft that one person can toss in the water wherever and whenever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next