It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My have we scaled down
PostPosted: July 26th, 2014, 9:00 pm 

Looking through some old files I found some pics of my first solo trip. I laughed to myself with a little embarrassment at the amount of gear I had and I can remember all the stupid heavy stuff I brought. One night it rained and all my gear soaked up a few extra pounds. A good first lesson in bringing the necessities. I even had a cast iron frying pan which has long been demoted to house cooking only. I love the thing but there are lighter ways to make a grilled cheese sandwich or making a good hash.

The nine inch skillet weighs close to four pounds, which is still a tad heavier than my tent of choice. Of all the things I never trip with anymore it would be the last thing I would ever think of bringing.

So buck up everyone. What have you discarded from your pack to ease your back?

PostPosted: July 27th, 2014, 8:02 am 

The list is almost endless - nowadays I carry one pot, small everything, tiny 4 lb. tent, can't remember everything that I used to think was necessary - these photos many years between, say it best

from this:

to this:

even the boat is a foot shorter, and less than half the weight..... :wink:

PostPosted: July 27th, 2014, 4:09 pm 

I used to take a single burner naphtha stove and fuel, I now take a titanium twig stove. I used to take a cheap plastic tarp, I now have a silly-nylon tarp. but these are small changes really. the big one is the boat now 40 lbs, down from 75.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: November 5th, 2014, 8:23 pm 

sk8r wrote:
The list is almost endless - nowadays I carry one pot, small everything, tiny 4 lb. tent, can't remember everything that I used to think was necessary - these photos many years between, say it best

from this:

to this:

even the boat is a foot shorter, and less than half the weight..... :wink:

I have a lot to learn! :lol:

I pack my 70 L bag full complete with huge things strapped to the outside. I groan like someone twice my age when scrambling up hills.

I'm working on a site sharing canoeing basics, but it needs work :)

PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 5:40 pm 

I used to have a 60 pound tandem fiberglass canoe. Now it is a 29 pound carbon fiber solo.

I used to have a 8 pound, 2 person tent. Now it is a 2.4 pound solo tent.

I used to have a MSR stove, large pot, frying pan, plate and utensils total weight of maybe 4 pounds. Now everything I need to cook including fuel can fit in a large ziplock bag.

I used to have a huge ass, non-compressible sleeping bag. Now I have a 3 or 4 bags that I choose from depending on the weather. The smallest is the size and weight of an oversized coffee mug.

I used to carry an axe. Now twigs and deadfall are enough.

I used to carry a full sized folding chair - maybe 5 pounds. Now I have < 2 pound Helinox that is simply glorious.

The only thing that has not gotten lighter over the years is...me. And I am getting older.

So overall, it is not any easier. But I still love it.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 7:28 pm 

or up. Not as in trip difficulty but in size of water.
Larger water=less or no portages.. and furniture for old age is less of a burden.

this was the year of no solos but all trips could have been solo.. Missouri River, Green River and north and south shores of Superior.

And one canoe cart trip on the Allagash..

Old age drugs like Plavix that cause excessive bleeding can mess up the best solo plans.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2014, 1:50 am 

WWGOD? wrote:
I used to have a huge ass,.

Like you, I found that once I dumped a lot of weight, the portages became a lot easier. :wink:

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 9:57 am 

Because the shoulder seasons are still my favourite time to paddle I still carry heavy,
The 2.5 lbs. ax and 2 break down saws (small one always goes on the hikes if cool)
So since one never knows what the weather will bring in shoulder season I make sure that I can stay warm and comfy.

The biggest change is the amount of food, I eat much less now 8)
(coffee is a must though! and not that instant stuff...)
And can usually skip big lunches.

So I have no desire to play survivor man, I would rather have the extra carry.
(and we won't count my camera stuff :oops: )
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 7:45 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

On my first ever paddling trip we even took a classic Coleman stove and a gallon (!) of fuel. Portaging was loads of fun.
bearburrito wrote:
So buck up everyone. What have you discarded from your pack to ease your back?

You still take a pack? :lol:

Even the gear that remains in the pack has shed kilograms.

And it's not just with paddling. Everywhere you look, light is right. Cycling, alpine climbing and my main activity, hiking. From head to toe all my clothing is not only a lot lighter but its performance is much better. My pack itself, even empty, is a third the weight of yesteryears. I can go out on a 3-day off-trail hike with total pack weight, including water of less than 20 pounds. On my feet all I'll have on are a skimpy pair of trail runners.

Heck, I bet there are people here whose "flashlights" used D cells. Now a much better and more versatile Black Diamond Spot with 3 AAA Lithium batteries will blow away in a strong breeze.

You can add advances in health, techniques and fitness onto lightening up and the comparisons are impressive indeed. The lighter gear can have its price though. It tends to be more expensive, have less durability and it becomes "old" within a year (almost). Other entire fields, related to tripping are photography, navigation and communications. Now, if you want you can upload your geo-referenced pics from a 100 gram P&S camera in real time to Facebook as you descend R3 in a 14 pound vessel. :lol: