It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 10:11 pm 

jedi jeffi wrote:
Two things I have added that do not take a lot of space are a couple of clotting sponges (can get them at Canadian tire) and a pre- made arm sling, one you can easily put on yourself instead of trying to make one.
oops make that 3 things, a small bottle of eye wash, ( not the super tiny ones) but something that you can give you eye a good flush with.
The eye wash is the only one I have ever used.
Jeff

I'll second that about eye wash and add some kind of eye antibiotic drops. Most skin infections you can deal with by just washing with clean water, and worst comes to worst you'll likely end up with just a bad scar. But an eye infection can make you blind. Likewise if you're prone to ear infections, some ear drops are a good idea.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 2:01 pm 

Niel;

I would use the anti chafe (I use Body Glide) for the neck gasket. The zinc cream is better for rashes, itch, and chafing (like between legs and under arms).
The body glide is plant based and probably better for the gasket

PostPosted: October 27th, 2019, 11:11 pm 

How does one go about getting a round of antibiotics?
Sounds like a good investment.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 8:10 am 

On trips longer than a week or more I make an appointment with my Doctor beforehand and ask him for a course of a broad spectrum antibiotic. The other guys I trip with do this as well and have never had a problem. He also prescribes 4 days worth of Tylenol 4.

MikeD.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 2:01 pm 

Mollycollie wrote:

Your dentist is probably the easiest, next time you are in the office just ask him/her.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2019, 5:13 pm 

Mollycollie wrote:

I get mine from the vet. He helps me make up a first aid kit for my dog and also tells me what I can/can't take of her medication.

Alan

PostPosted: December 6th, 2019, 8:41 pm 

I took a Red Cross wilderness first aid course in September and I was quite happy with it. It was a 2 night campout in Frontenac park.

I really can't recommend the instructor highly enough - Steve Tripp, of wildernesstripping.ca. The Red Cross allows their instructors a lot of leeway, it certainly can't hurt to ask ahead of time if he could tailor some of the content to solo first aid.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2020, 8:23 pm 

If you feel you need more first-aid info but don't want to take a course, the Outward Bound Wilderness First-Aid Handbook is very good. It also contains lists of things to take in your medical kit.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 7:19 am 

Your most important first aid item is a detailed float plan where you have identified all points of access and exit. Also, get the phone number for local float plane companies in the area. The majority of successful wilderness first aid involves successful extraction. In this era of social distancing, and the panic associated with it, you do not want to be the guy who calls in the helicopter.

Before the advent of sat phones and in reach, we always carefully researched exit points. Also learned all the methods for contacting float planes that flew over, signal fires, even canoes arranged in a certain pattern would bring them down to have a look.

I have flown people out using local float planes, it was costly, but the injury, in my mind, was not serious enough to call in the SAR helicopter. This is how solo tripper should think.

I have read cases where people have called in the SAR helicopter because they broke a paddle, and forgot their spare. Then they kicked up a stink because the helicopter wouldn't take their canoe and packs. If you can't self rescue because you broke a paddle, you shouldn't be doing a solo trip.

In my opinion, the only time you should press that rescue button on your device is if you are having a life threatening episode, like a heart attack, or perhaps a sasquatch has ripped off your leg or something.